Notices
Site Feedback / Suggestions If you have any suggestions or want to see something voice your opinion in here.

Site becoming a library rather than a community

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2008, 06:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Site becoming a library rather than a community

I've been putting this off for a while now and had to get it off my chest. I have been lurking around this site for a couple years, making an account a year and a half ago, and just recently started posting because I recently just got the Evo. The first year and a half I was basically doing "research" Anyways as of lately I have seen countless threads locked saying "search for your answer" and posts disappearing that had no reason to be deleted other than shear "business" as they were not derogatory, in fact they were more informative than 90% of the BS that gets posted. I understand there HAS to be mods, and some posts should never have been made and need deleted, and when someone asks something like where is my dipstick, they should search. But when someone asks for a product recommendation and its closed and replied with "Just search" well thats BS. Lets face it, something that was recommended last year might not be anymore because we are always learning more about these cars, hence the revelance and sucess of this site.
So we get a new member to the community and instead of encouraging them to interact and learn, we scold them and say not to interact, but to use the search feature. I think that the boost labs network much rather have as many people on this site interacting as possible.
Let me reiterate that i KNOW that some threads should be closed, and some posts should be deleted, but I think some have let the authority go to their heads and have become "Post *****." Every time I see it happen without reason, all I hear in my head is (Seinfeld voice) "NO THREAD FOR YOU, COME BACK ONE YEAR"
Hopefully this does more good than harm, and please dont take it the wrong way and delete my account, I just have to speak up when I see something I dont agree with.
Edit: Tried to slide this in the Evo General (you guys are amazingly fast at relocating) just as someone wanting to make a point across would use the front page of the news paper. This section seems to be more like the bottom left hand corner of section 5C,..... you know, the one noone reads. Oh well hopefully the people that matter will see it! - thanks for letting me rant anyways

Last edited by 2highpsi; Apr 16, 2008 at 07:08 PM. Reason: further explaination
Old Apr 16, 2008, 08:54 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
don't worry mate. I read your post
Old Apr 16, 2008, 10:21 PM
Admin Alumni

I think that I know what prompted this, so I can hopefully provide answers.

1) Searching before posting is a rule here, always has been. Check the link in my sig and you will find in the second post, item #2:
"Before posting a question, please conduct a search for an answer and check our Newbie forum."

2)
Originally Posted by 2highpsi
Lets face it, something that was recommended last year might not be anymore because we are always learning more about these cars,
Why is there always a need to start a new thread about something that has been discussed to death? In the case you are talking about, DOZENS of results were returned in a simple search. Why not bump a recent (or older) thread about the subject and continue the discussion? That would provide continuity and a good reference as people 'learn' about their cars.

3)
Edit: Tried to slide this in the Evo General (you guys are amazingly fast at relocating) just as someone wanting to make a point across would use the front page of the news paper. This section seems to be more like the bottom left hand corner of section 5C,..... you know, the one noone reads. Oh well hopefully the people that matter will see it! - thanks for letting me rant anyways
That was me. Obviously you knew posting this in Evo General was not the right place, so we'll let that one go.

4)
Let me reiterate that i KNOW that some threads should be closed, and some posts should be deleted, but I think some have let the authority go to their heads and have become "Post *****." Every time I see it happen without reason, all I hear in my head is (Seinfeld voice) "NO THREAD FOR YOU, COME BACK ONE YEAR"
I'm personally offended at your characterization of our staff. There is no need for name calling, and "Post *****" is especially odious. Any credibility you may have had with your post just went out the window, IMO.

SASD209
Old Apr 16, 2008, 10:34 PM
Evolving Member

You have a good point. Instead of being negative and saying search for the topic you can give the information the person is asking for and tell them to search for the topic next time.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 04:44 AM
Evolved Member

I believe that is how it was supposed to work amprowler, but lately this site is going the bad way as far as I am concerned. I posted in agreement with another member in the suggestions forum and that post was deleted... post ***** is right on par here.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 06:24 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SASD209
I'm personally offended at your characterization of our staff. There is no need for name calling, and "Post *****" is especially odious. Any credibility you may have had with your post just went out the window, IMO.

SASD209
I didn't mean it offensive and I apologize if it came off that way. The "post ****" thing was suppose to be more in humor, hence the Seinfeld reference. Honestly SASD209 most of the posts I was referering to were not shut down by you anyways. I thought I made it pretty clear that I know you guys do the right thing that has to be done most of the time, but if not I'll say it again.... Thanks Mods for when you do a great job! I'm not calling for a revamp, just a tweak of how we think about things around here.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 07:39 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

ZOMFG BAN!!!!

Part of the problem stems from the fact that the more repeat questions we get the more disparate and dispersed the answers become. So the next time someone searches for the same issue, or a related one, it will be that much harder to find what they need. Now that I'm thinking about it though, I may have a partial solution for this particular issue. I'm going to pose it to the Admins and see if it's something they are able to and want to implement.

But the feedback is appreciated.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 08:50 AM
Evolving Member

I agree about the searching and bringing back an old thread and adding to it. The only flaw is that if you are searching for info about,... lets say a bov, dv, or bpv you are searching because you probably dont know too much about it. So say I search to see how much pressure my stock unit will hold, there are actually threads saying to turn it backwards to hold more boost. Does it work? Yes. Should I do it, Absolutely not. Do we want those threads coming back confusing people even more, probably not. But the person who finds it doesnt know any better, they were told to search not ask. I know its a hypothetical scenario, and maybe kind of a stretch but thats just an example. If there was a way you guys could mark the good and accurate posts and they would come up on top of the search list and people could know its good info, I think that would reduce the amount of repeated questions that you guys dont want to see.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 09:05 AM
Evolving Member

Both good strong arguments. There should be a medium that can be agreed on. I've been on both sides of that coin. Been afraid to ask a question because of the flaming and yet I've found good info from searching. With the searching, I've found info that was and wasn't so helpful but I know there are a lot of experienced people here which is why I like it so much.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

There are great arguments on both sides, so we are simply going to delete the side we disagree with

Searching is not perfect. It works poorly for some subjects and specifically commonly used words or short words. So it needs to be taken on a case by case basis. For example, if you are a newb and want a recirc or bov is, the search will often yield way too many results, of which almost all will not describe the part. This is however an extremely basic question that really does not need to be asked in evo engine tech. A little browsing through the newbie section, or google would get it quicker than posting a thread. If you know its a basic question that has probably been answered, but you cant find it via search, the next logical step is to post in newbie.

Now lets say you are curious about a product that has probably been discussed. Assuming its not a generic name, the search will probably get some results. If you search and nothing, then post in the appropriate forum and say you searched. All we ask is that you try. And if you cant find what you are looking for, think which section will get the best and most open response. The extreme example would be asking what a BOV is in the advanced tech section. You had better know that you will get shunned for doing so. To a lessor degree, that is how people see it in the regular tech vs newbie section. So basically, just try, and if you follow the normal procedure, then post. I always encourage people to be nice no ,matter how dumb or basic the question is. Everyone was a newb once....except me...i know everything

If our actions might seem a bit strict and unforgiving at times, I would like to give you an insight to the Mods point of view. Not to say we are always right, but the staff view can be a bit different than the member one given the job at hand. On any given day, we are all inundated with reported posts about everything from flaming to people complaining about newbs. Reported posts are good, but keep in mind, we typically see a disproportionate amount of the negative vs a regular member. Also, rarely are our actions greeted with thanks since someone is always at the negative end of a moderation from their view. So when we get complaints numerous times a day (from members) about situations like this, our actions can sometimes see strict, less than friendly, etc. Its not on purpose. I always try to be nice, or at very least professional even in the face of extreme rudeness, but we are all human, and all have an off moment. If you ever have a problem, come to us in a respectful manner, and we will always return the favor.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

Also, to the comment of posts being removed for no reason except business, I would have to review the specific examples, but there is always more going on behind the scenes than you guys may be aware of. We generally do not randomly delete posts just for the hell of it
Old Apr 17, 2008, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bump for an informative read for EvoM members.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 11:33 AM
Former Vendor

If you searched you would find this topic has been covered many times over the years. Why not bring up on of those?

Because you felt your thought mattered. So you made a thread. As does everybody else when they have a thought or question.

The moral of my post is, if no one posts new topics, the site will die. People just need better searching skills. If you ask the right question, youll get the right answer.

Last edited by Curt@MrLed; Apr 17, 2008 at 11:35 AM.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

As an added tidbit, it not just the moderators being strict, its everyone. Sure, we ask people to search, and even close some threads for lack of a simple search, but the harsh comments usually come from other members. As a community, we certainly need to be more accepting of everyone and try to make our points without insults. Also, if the question can be answered in less words than "OMFG, do a search newb", why not just give the answer. Should it involve a discussion, then yes, saying politely, please try searching this topic.

An example recently came up where for the 20th time in the X section someone started a new thread to find out basic info about the new MR. I answered that should he do a search he will find several recent discussions on the topic as well as two feature articles directly on the front page of the site. Gets the point across and gives him slightly more info on what he is looking for. I would be ecstatic if everyone were more open and friendly. This in turn would mean a far less necessitation for moderation
Old Apr 17, 2008, 11:52 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

As for any post that I may delete, I have never deleted a post just for the sake of deleting a post. Contrary to popular belief, I have a good reason for doing so. The same could be said when I edit a post, lock a thread, or thrash a thread. Again there are members that feel like they are being persecuted, but that is the furthest thing from the truth. If anything, I try to be lenient. I don’t get a kick out deleting, editing, issuing warning, issuing infractions, or banning members. The members of EvoM have to realize that the staff here has a job to do and we do it to the best of our abilities.