Notices
Site Feedback / Suggestions If you have any suggestions or want to see something voice your opinion in here.

Okay for vendors to Spam all sections?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2019, 06:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
They should just drop the vendor titles altogether, this forum is no longer big enough to need vendors paying upkeep costs. Then again I'm pretty sure "Internet Forums LLC" just wants to milk as much as they can from it...
Old Jul 12, 2019, 09:18 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by Fox_IX
They should just drop the vendor titles altogether, this forum is no longer big enough to need vendors paying upkeep costs. Then again I'm pretty sure "Internet Forums LLC" just wants to milk as much as they can from it...
Look at the daily traffic at the bottom. Someone has enough bots on this site to make it look busier than ever lol
Old Jul 12, 2019, 09:55 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
My .02 take on this thread:

We, as members,should be thankful there are pay to play vendors on the site. IB has numerous site employees that are in the background reviewing & making program changes (theres a cost involved). Ever notice how many sites IB owns? (many!)

In Europe, there is the MLR EvO forum. Pretty good platform, but to be a full member, theres a fee. Are you guys OK w/that?

I see no real issue w/vendors, taking the time to post up & announce a deal. Who cares? No harm IMO

Regarding a robust EvO forum, where are we to turn but EvOM? What other EvO site has this level of membership & daily participation?

Years ago, most of my time was spent on our very robust local forum (SoCalEvO). Today SCE is just about dead. Activity has dropped significantly & appears mostly deserted

Its just the nature of the EvO platform. No longer produced & the attrition rate is on the high side

What we are seeing is a consolidation of smaller Mitsu based forums & EvOM is picking up activity based on that IMO

You guys know that IB has another Mitsu related forum? https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/

Its not as robust as EvOM, but there is certainly some serious daily volume of new threads / posts. Wonder if IB has considered consolidating both forums into one?
The following users liked this post:
Nicolas (Jul 12, 2019)
Old Jul 12, 2019, 10:30 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
The forum and vendors can, of course, do as they please. Doesn't mean we have to like looking at two pages of spam posts

If I don't like it, I can always close the page, which I do. Eventually, I come back and see all the regular threads so then I re-engage. I have no problem staying away when the site gets spammed. I can sometimes spend waaaaaaaaaaaaay to much time here, anyway
I have no willpower haha.

It's been explained the vendors have certain freedoms since they pay and we don't. That's good enough for me.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 10:52 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious

We, as members,should be thankful there are pay to play vendors on the site. IB has numerous site employees that are in the background reviewing & making program changes (theres a cost involved). Ever notice how many sites IB owns? (many!)

In Europe, there is the MLR EvO forum. Pretty good platform, but to be a full member, theres a fee. Are you guys OK w/that?

I see no real issue w/vendors, taking the time to post up & announce a deal. Who cares? No harm IMO

Regarding a robust EvO forum, where are we to turn but EvOM? What other EvO site has this level of membership & daily participation?

Years ago, most of my time was spent on our very robust local forum (SoCalEvO). Today SCE is just about dead. Activity has dropped significantly & appears mostly deserted

Its just the nature of the EvO platform. No longer produced & the attrition rate is on the high side

What we are seeing is a consolidation of smaller Mitsu based forums & EvOM is picking up activity based on that IMO

You guys know that IB has another Mitsu related forum? https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/

Its not as robust as EvOM, but there is certainly some serious daily volume of new threads / posts. Wonder if IB has considered consolidating both forums into one?
No offense to the staff of the forum, you guys are awesome and helpful, but not really alot has gotten done to this forum in the last 4 years.... I mean we haven't even had a news article since the Evo crossover one.
I know how much work running a forum is, I've adminned quite a few in my days. ****, if IB was selling I'd jump on the opportunity to host and support the server, and I'm sure plenty others would be willing to donate a small portion to keep the server up and maintained. Vote Fox for EvoM server host 2021! Abolish the vendor titles! TAKE BACK EVOM!

(sorry that spiraled out of control ;P)
Old Jul 12, 2019, 11:00 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
No offense to the staff of the forum, you guys are awesome and helpful, but not really alot has gotten done to this forum in the last 4 years.... I mean we haven't even had a news article since the Evo crossover one.
I know how much work running a forum is, I've adminned quite a few in my days. ****, if IB was selling I'd jump on the opportunity to host and support the server, and I'm sure plenty others would be willing to donate a small portion to keep the server up and maintained. Vote Fox for EvoM server host 2021! Abolish the vendor titles! TAKE BACK EVOM!

(sorry that spiraled out of control ;P)
I'm in! I donate money each month to keep my friend's podcast going (they are now doing very well, but I continue to support). I'd have problem doing the same here if it meant cleaning up the forum. I'm always down for donating time and (sometimes) money, for good causes.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 11:01 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Speedlimit
Hey!

No, all vendor ads should be place in the vendor forums. We will talk to them, thank you for letting us know.

Bob
Originally Posted by MinusPrevious

So, @Speedlimit literally said ALL vendor ads are to be in the vendor forums... Not scattered through out subforums.

I browse the forum by the "new posts" tab on the app most of the time. And when it's two pages of vendor posts, I try to go browse by just looking in the forums, and then I see its vendor spam in all the various subforums that aren't the vendor forum, I just go do something else after checking the motorsports section, because on the app it only loads like 6-7 threads on a page.

So there's that.

The great thing about the forum is the information availability for posterity. That being said, the people that are always on here and are really still neck deep in building these cars all out for their personal use, budget and preference are all friends on facebook and in various FB groups together, all of which have a lot less "noise" from people like rightsaidfred (who thankfully hasn't been around here anymore). And I have also already dug into a lot of the archives of this forum to take the info I've needed as I have learned. So I can a bit selfishly that our world won't end if the forums do. Which kinda seems to be where the internet is headed anyways...

Old Jul 12, 2019, 11:04 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kaj
I'm in! I donate money each month to keep my friend's podcast going (they are now doing very well, but I continue to support). I'd have problem doing the same here if it meant cleaning up the forum. I'm always down for donating time and (sometimes) money, for good causes.
With Patreon, Kickstarter and Indiegogo, funding things you care about has already become a pretty standard thing. Im sure we can easily cover hosting costs purely based on donations.
Man id love to host the server on a private US box, get rid of the requirement for a paid vendor title to sell stuff on the forum, and get rid of advertisements. Especially if there's not a lot of activity, why try and capitalize on it?
With all this said, the chance IB LLC is going to give up control of the forum is like 0.00000000000001%
Old Jul 12, 2019, 11:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
So, @Speedlimit literally said ALL vendor ads are to be in the vendor forums... Not scattered through out subforums.

I browse the forum by the "new posts" tab on the app most of the time. And when it's two pages of vendor posts, I try to go browse by just looking in the forums, and then I see its vendor spam in all the various subforums that aren't the vendor forum, I just go do something else after checking the motorsports section, because on the app it only loads like 6-7 threads on a page.

So there's that.

The great thing about the forum is the information availability for posterity. That being said, the people that are always on here and are really still neck deep in building these cars all out for their personal use, budget and preference are all friends on facebook and in various FB groups together, all of which have a lot less "noise" from people like rightsaidfred (who thankfully hasn't been around here anymore). And I have also already dug into a lot of the archives of this forum to take the info I've needed as I have learned. So I can a bit selfishly that our world won't end if the forums do. Which kinda seems to be where the internet is headed anyways...
I agree, I also browse by new posts and having RallySport and Fap Performance flooding the first 3 pages in minutes is really obnoxious.

I do think internet forums will be relevant again as more and more people realize how terrible social media like Facebook is at storing and sorting information. The biggest problem with this forum is it's running some seriously antiquated software that is being bandaided by tons of plugins. That's why we have weird bugs all the time, EvoM would run much smoother if it moved to some modern BB software. I think this would also make it more palatable with new users that are used to the "modern internet".

We've been using forums for 30+ years, sooner or later those newer to the internet will figure out that forums are superior for the spread and storage of information.

BTW I'd bet alot of those bots on the forum are coming from IB to boost Alexa and Google rankings.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 11:30 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
Hey guys,

The ads should be in the vendor forum. Please report the posts and we will contact them, thanks.

Bob
Old Jul 12, 2019, 11:33 AM
Evolving Member

Hey guys,

The ads should be in the vendor forum. Please report the posts and we will contact them, thanks.

Bob
Bob, do you have any thoughts on the VBulletin platform and if it's viable for EvoM to stay on it long term? None of the big successful forums run it anymore, and I understand switching over is a big job, but is it even something you guys would consider?
Old Jul 12, 2019, 11:53 AM
EvoM Guru

Hey guys,

Bob
Thanks sir.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 12:04 PM
EvoM Guru

I agree, I also browse by new posts and having RallySport and Fap Performance flooding the first 3 pages in minutes is really obnoxious.

I do think internet forums will be relevant again as more and more people realize how terrible social media like Facebook is at storing and sorting information. The biggest problem with this forum is it's running some seriously antiquated software that is being bandaided by tons of plugins. That's why we have weird bugs all the time, EvoM would run much smoother if it moved to some modern BB software. I think this would also make it more palatable with new users that are used to the "modern internet".

We've been using forums for 30+ years, sooner or later those newer to the internet will figure out that forums are superior for the spread and storage of information.

BTW I'd bet alot of those bots on the forum are coming from IB to boost Alexa and Google rankings.
98% of FB groups are interweb trolls and there is literally no useful info, I agree. That being said there are a few good ones to be in.

FB is also hard because just like the format doesn't do well for archiving info, it also doesn't do well in being able to tell who actually knows what they're talking about vs who is talking out their ***. Forums are pretty good at making it easy to pick up on who you should listen to by simply reading posts (new and old). FB doesn't have that.

A lot of the current generation also doesn't like to do their own research on stuff. I can remember first getting my car in 2013 and I literally spend hours every day reading through old posts and the sticky threads full of great info. I actually had my car pretty well self tuned before buying injectors and having a pro handle it from there because I wasn't comfortable with keeping things safe on E85. My point was the sheer number of retarded question I see on FB that if you literally google the question (word-for-word even), the FIRST result is multiple EvoM threads with the answer. Yet people don't do it, and this forum is still fairly dead.

I agree on the bot things. Trying to make the site look well traffic'ed and entice vendors. Theres no way there 1000 real people on the site at any given time with how few actuals posts there are per day.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 12:09 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
Hey,

Good question, a couple of years ago IB froze what ever version was current. Going forward to make software changes to meet the specific needs of the communities, desktop, mobile, the 6000 lb gorilla Google, European laws ect. and the technical support group. The purpose is to make software changes to VB then scale up for 100+ communities with fewer bugs. I believe IB is planning to add some of the new features found on other forum software, but no firm dates yet.

I doubt we will see a change from VB in the future but I would welcome some of the newer forum software packages or neat features added to our VB version. BTW, last I checked IB owns VB. Did that answer your question? Thanks!

Bob
Old Jul 12, 2019, 01:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
98% of FB groups are interweb trolls and there is literally no useful info, I agree. That being said there are a few good ones to be in.

FB is also hard because just like the format doesn't do well for archiving info, it also doesn't do well in being able to tell who actually knows what they're talking about vs who is talking out their ***. Forums are pretty good at making it easy to pick up on who you should listen to by simply reading posts (new and old). FB doesn't have that.

A lot of the current generation also doesn't like to do their own research on stuff. I can remember first getting my car in 2013 and I literally spend hours every day reading through old posts and the sticky threads full of great info. I actually had my car pretty well self tuned before buying injectors and having a pro handle it from there because I wasn't comfortable with keeping things safe on E85. My point was the sheer number of retarded question I see on FB that if you literally google the question (word-for-word even), the FIRST result is multiple EvoM threads with the answer. Yet people don't do it, and this forum is still fairly dead.

I agree on the bot things. Trying to make the site look well traffic'ed and entice vendors. Theres no way there 1000 real people on the site at any given time with how few actuals posts there are per day.
I agree 100% with all of this. With that said though this generation still has people like us, thankfully, it's just too far and few.