Notices
Site Feedback / Suggestions If you have any suggestions or want to see something voice your opinion in here.

EvolutionM.net Tuner Time Attack Challenge

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2004, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, the question is, if we open it to gutted street legal cars, then should we open it to completely gutted, caged race cars (if there are any out there)?
Old Jul 13, 2004, 06:37 PM
Evolving Member

Just a suggestion and if time/space permit, I think it would be interesting on how a stock Evo and/or Evo RS (with experienced driver) compares on the track against the tuner cars.
Old Jul 13, 2004, 06:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by metaphysical
Well, the question is, if we open it
The only thing you opened is a can of worms :-)

Our car is nowhere near street legal but it does have a license plate hung on it and it has insurance. Is that what you mean?

Speed Ventures already has an EVO Challenge Series.

Mike W

Last edited by Mike W; Jul 13, 2004 at 06:45 PM.
Old Jul 13, 2004, 06:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Hot Feces
Just a suggestion and if time/space permit, I think it would be interesting on how a stock Evo and/or Evo RS (with experienced driver) compares on the track against the tuner cars.
See the SCC EVO Orgy for that comparison. They ran a stock RS through all the same tests.

Mike W
Old Jul 13, 2004, 06:48 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, I just remembered that right when I hit the reply button. Doh

BTW - Why can't we have this open to all tuner EVOs? If it's considered unfair to the street legal EVOs, perhaps we can have a Race Class and Street Class winner? That way, we can see the best of both. The only downsides I can think of is that the proportion of Race and Street cars would probably be uneven, and that another $300 wouldn't be going to charity (charity money can be divided between the two winners if they wish).

Last edited by Hot Feces; Jul 13, 2004 at 06:59 PM.
Old Jul 13, 2004, 07:07 PM

Ok, my official vote is that the event is open to all evolutions, full weight or race vehicles. One class, winner take all. Now with that being said, we want full details of your car, estimated power, modifications AND weight. Because there are some cars that have entered this competition with I would estimate $75K in modifications, if there full weight what difference does it make? And most importantly, don't get too wrapped up in who wins and who loses, all the cars have different amounts invested and different drivers. It's supposed to be a fun event after all.
Old Jul 13, 2004, 07:13 PM
Evolving Member

Now you are talking. That is exactly why God created message boards. So we can all sit around for weeks in front of our 'puters (pretending to be working) and argue about who _really_ won for pages and pages and pages...

Mike W
Old Jul 13, 2004, 07:22 PM
KK
EvoM Administrator

Got off the phone with Aaron @ Speed Ventures about setting up this event. They have a number of days available to use. Basically, the plan is to use their Evo Challenge Unlimited class rules. That would only entail the car having an Evo chassis and 4G63 engine... everything else goes The goal is to have a showcase of some of the premier tuner cars.

Here's what the format will be:

1. EvoM Tuner Shootout
This will showcase some of the premier Evo tuners in the country in a time trial battle. The tuner with the Evo that ticks off the fastest single lap will win.

2. EvoM Privateer Shootout
This session will allow privateers to compete in the same time format. If the privateer class have enough entries we can classify this into the other Evo Challenge classes (See this thread for class info).

Times will be divided between the two classes (Tuner / Privateer). The winner of each class will receive a trophy and we'll give you a special title on the site forums as well.

3. EvoM National Meet
Evo owners can get together and check out each other's ride, eat BBQ, and we'll see if we can raffle off a few items.

4. Driver School / Track Time
Members can sign up for track time as well. The event will be one day, but we could hold this on a 3 day booking, which means you could just do all 3 days and enjoy all the EvoM stuff on the first day

I'll work to create a sub-site for this event and each shootout entry can get a little page where we can list pics, vehicle specs, etc. We'll cover the event with photos and an article. In addition, we'll see if we can muster up some magazine coverage as well.

It's safe to say that if you're a tuner and want in on this, you got it! I'll be posting a new thread to get some feedback between the two possible dates.

- Mark
Old Jul 13, 2004, 07:37 PM
KK
EvoM Administrator

Created the poll for the track / date selections. Here's the link:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=89027

Mark
Old Jul 13, 2004, 07:41 PM
Evolving Member

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Mike W
So we can all sit around for weeks in front of our 'puters (pretending to be working) and argue about who _really_ won for pages and pages and pages...
Or have a race group so we can run a 3 hour race, winner take all. Let's see who knows how to make an EVO run fast and last for more than one lap. If you guys have an EVO wheel to wheel race there will be something worth watching and typing on the internet about.

Or better yet, have all of the tunerz pack up then tow their dynos to the neutral site of your choice to settle it internet style, and just race their beloved dynos against each other. Then everyone can type about who has the prettiest font on their dyno sheet
Old Jul 13, 2004, 07:56 PM
KK
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by john@rre
If you guys have an EVO wheel to wheel race there will be something worth watching and typing on the internet about.
I bet that'll be doable in a few years. We might be able to use the Evo Challenge rules as a baseline to set something like that up. I think this tuner shootout will be a great stepping stone for stuff like that

Mark
Old Jul 13, 2004, 08:53 PM
Evolving Member

[QUOTE=john@rre]Or have a race group so we can run a 3 hour race, winner take all. Let's see who knows how to make an EVO run fast and last for more than one lap. If you guys have an EVO wheel to wheel race there will be something worth watching and typing on the internet about.
[QUOTE]

a 3 hour race is a little long.. with one driver thats longer than any formula one or champ car race.. plus you would have to re-fuel and there goes some more safety issues... a 1 hour race is do-able and would be the best to showcase the tuners potential...

Robbie Montinola
Old Jul 13, 2004, 09:36 PM
Evolving Member

a 3 hour race is a little long...
Is that what they teach you Skippy Barber School kids nowadays? Nextel cup drivers don't whine about 4 plus hours of stick time in a row, why are you?

Actually, if the goal is to showcase tuners, having to run thru more than one tank of fuel and seeing who can go fast without running the tires off of the car shows a lot more about set-up than any one lap shootout ever could.

To finish first, first you must finish. I personally would like to see any of the larger turbo EVOs have to cool 450+ horsepower for more than a lap at a time. EVOs running reliably is the single most often overlooked part of the program when people start boosting larger turboed cars for more than one lap at a time, let's make this deal interesting by having all of the tunerentrants show their tuning skill by averaging each cars fastest 25 laps run on the event day. We have already done 3 single lap shootouts this year with the EVOs, EVO Orgy, SCC Time Attack, and the 2004 USCC, let's change the parameters to make it a more realistic view of each EVOs track day performance.
Old Jul 13, 2004, 09:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by john@rre
Is that what they teach you Skippy Barber School kids nowadays? Nextel cup drivers don't whine about 4 plus hours of stick time in a row, why are you?
its not to hard to turn left... and run in circles.. if you want to run your EVO in circles for 4 hours go right ahead... just trying to make this challenge easier for everyone and less time consuming.. ill drive the car for 3 hours straight.. and skip barber has taught me a lot.. most importantly how to win races.. so whatever the challenge becomes myself and our teams are always in..

Robbie Montinola
Old Jul 13, 2004, 10:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ZENTRAEDIevo
its not to hard to turn left...
Clearly you have not run the banking at California Speedway in an EVO, it is an eye opener for sure. I have nothing but respect for the guys that run on those tracks for a living, as the banking is quite a different animal from behind the wheel than it looks on the TV set.

Quick Reply: EvolutionM.net Tuner Time Attack Challenge