Notices
South Region Includes AR, LA, MS, NM, OK, TX, NE, KS.

Evos in Austin

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2003, 05:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by LimeyWRX

I was surprised to hear the zero down, zero interest and zero to pay for a year commercial on the radio saying this offer includes the new EVO supercar. That shows that they aren't moving them as expected.

Where did you see this at? Is this for real? TV or Web?

/<
Old Mar 12, 2003, 06:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Barrett told me about their new radio ad talking about the "Evo Supercar" last night. They think it'll drum up enough interest to get people in anbuying the cars. That's actually part of the reason I put the deposit down, because I think the radio can have that affect and bring in new people who didn't realize the car was in yet.

But we also asked the manager if the 0/0/0 was for the Evo and they said no. Unless they've changed their minds already, who knows.

I'm still at work now, so at this rate I might just be up at Barrett around 7:30.
Old Mar 12, 2003, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

K, if you're heading up there, I'm leaving work now. I'm on south 360 near MoPac. So I'll probably be there about 7:30, heh.
Old Mar 12, 2003, 08:52 PM
Evolving Member

Sorry couldn't make I couldn't make it, too many things go in the way at work. Sucked. I will probably try to make it out there this weekend, but we will see. I kind of wanted to put a face to the name. Maybe you could swing by the next spoke-x and meet. Should be up north by u. Hope you eventually change your mind about the evo.

/<
Old Mar 12, 2003, 10:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by k_fabec
Sorry couldn't make I couldn't make it, too many things go in the way at work. Sucked. I will probably try to make it out there this weekend, but we will see. I kind of wanted to put a face to the name. Maybe you could swing by the next spoke-x and meet. Should be up north by u. Hope you eventually change your mind about the evo.

/<
I did... it's in my driveway right now. Need to clear out the garage so I can put her where she belongs. Gotta move a bunch of crap out of the way now, but there's no way I want to leave this thing in the driveway. At least not yet.

It took the store owner to sell me tonight, and it wasn't really because of the scare tactics of "people have been looking at your car" or "there aren't going to be any more in stock." It was simply a numbers game...

K you can negotiate for lulu if you want, I'm tired of negotiating.
Old Mar 12, 2003, 11:37 PM
Evolved Member

The dew caught the flash and made for some wild pics.
Attached Thumbnails Evos in Austin-evo_f_side.jpg  
Old Mar 12, 2003, 11:38 PM
Evolved Member

Electrified!
Attached Thumbnails Evos in Austin-evo_r_side.jpg  
Old Mar 13, 2003, 09:03 AM
Evolving Member

SWEET!!!

Congrats!!! WOW! that looks awesome!! I wanna see it! Bring it over to my place tonight, cause you know you want to put some breakin miles on it! I am so proud of you.... (misty eye). So, what was the damage or would you rather not say? I can't get over how cool it looks. If you eventually start auto-x ing it, we could maybe xclass, and you could use the race tires from the GSX for yourself, just to see the difference and you wouldn't have to tear up those sweet ADVAN tires.

Once again, great job!!! I am really stoked for ya.

/<

Last edited by travestyevo; Mar 13, 2003 at 09:38 AM.
Old Mar 13, 2003, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

Re: SWEET!!!

Let's just say I'm content with the price I paid for the car. I did pay over MSRP for the car though.

Unfortunately I have this huge deadline at work that's going to rule my life for the next day. I got it dumped on me yesterday at about 4pm and I need to have a big document written by tomorrow, ouch! And I'm supposed to finance this thing and do all the paperwork now too... agggh!

BTW, I was Barrett's first Evo sale and I think they're going to put a really bad picture of me on their website.

Originally posted by k_fabec
Congrats!!! WOW! that looks awesome!! I wanna see it! Bring it over to my place tonight, cause you know you want to put some breakin miles on it! I am so proud of you.... (misty eye). So, what was the damage or would you rather not say? I can't get over how cool it looks. If you eventually start auto-x ing it, we could maybe xclass, and you could drive a preped S2000 or a preped GSX, both have race tires, ooh, better yet you could use the race tires from the GSX for yourself, just to see the difference and you wouldn't have to tear up those sweet ADVAN tires.

Once again, great job!!! I am really stoked for ya.

/<

Old Mar 13, 2003, 05:15 PM
Evolving Member

Congrats on the purchase iodine23. Sorry to hear that you paid over MSRP but happy to hear that you felt like you got a good deal. Hope they comp'ed you a few things. White is difinitely the sweetest. I am holding out for a white one so that means I may not get one this year or I will have to bite the bullet and pay $30k or a car whose color I don't particulary like. Once again congrats, take care of her.
Old Mar 15, 2003, 07:02 PM
Evolving Member

wow.... Barret just out and told me how much you paid, they didn't even attempt to keep it from me. I was surprised they just up and blurted it out. Really none of my business. I won't say online, just so I don't upset you, but whoa. I guess you are happy and that is what really matters.

On a side note, Barret, sales team sucked major booty. First they totally ignored me and then proceeded to treat me like dirt. I have had better sales experience at Best Buy. They are misleading and misrepresenting in everyway. For example, I heard the 0/0/0 till 2004 ad with the EVO in it, and asked them about it. Well, as expected, they said not true, and then I pointed to the card board add sitting on top the EVO. So it turns out, just because the add is on the car's roof, doesn't mean it applies to the car below. And that was just the start. They tried the old "only 4500" car sale scare tactic on me, but when I mentioned next year they said when they are gone, thats it. Also the sales manager didn't even want to negotiate with me. Told him I would do 1k over right then and he laughed at me and called me crazy. Told me they were selling for 12k over in some places. Please, try taking a look at ebay. Does any of them even have a bid? He has 5 there right now and didn't even want to hear about possibly working out a deal. I really guess since they are the biggest dealer in the nation that they can throw the bird to a couple of sales. You know, a M3 is 50k, but it is probably worth it not to deal with the yahoos at this Mitsu dealer. And after a slight confrontation about him calling me crazy vs him being crazy for asking 8k over and only having sold one at this point, he demended me out of his store, claiming he didn't need anyone suggesting what the EVO really was worth and how "limited" it really was. Anyone who knows me, knows that I am not rude or ugly person. By the time I left, GM had his face a bright red and veins were visable on forehead. I have never seen a sales rep turn so ugly so quick. Real cute guy.

Please do not shop a Barret, the guys a Maxwell were very willing to work with me, enthusiastic about having a customer excited about the car and didn't get all bent out of shape about my offer. The Maxwell sales team are light years ahead of Barret in politeness and concern.

So to sum up

Barret

Maxwell

/<

PS. At the age of 26, I don't consider myself a punk kid, and make more than enough money myself to afford a EVO, insurance and a set of race tires. And I love capitalism, that why I offered what I offered.
Old Mar 15, 2003, 09:48 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, overall my experience with Barrett was not a good one. I got screwed on the trade which helped make up for the negotiating I did. I blame myself for some of that, but they also had an easy out cuz my car threw the C.E. light on the way up there. I didn't worry about resetting because I didn't think I was going to buy that night.

I paid over MSRP but don't feel it was "too bad" maybe I'm just rationalizing the situation. The Pit Pass has to be worth a little bit at least. They put it down as $2,500 on the order.

What pissed me off the most was that they wanted to get the deal done ASAP so I went with their lender and not my lender (who was being dumb and confused, I'll admit). Their lender was .25% over mine so they said they'd pay me the $270 difference for the life of the loan. When I got in the F&I guy wheeled and dealed and weasled so bad to keep me from getting that $270 that I just said forget it, I'm just going to refi anyways with my lender.

Whatever, I'll chalk the trade bull**** (another common tactic) to inexperience and just keep on loving my Evo (which is probably exactly how they want me to behave). But yes, the whole experience with the dealership themselves left me very tired, bitter, and cranky these last few days.

As far as Maxwell is concerned, maybe I just got a bad salesman the night that I went. That pretty much turned me off from going back. That and I thought I was doing well with Barrett until the end.

Last edited by iodine23; Mar 15, 2003 at 10:18 PM.
Old Mar 16, 2003, 12:41 AM
Evolved Member

Guys, do not buy at Barrett. After my last post I got a little paranoid and started looking at the numbers again. I turns out the F&I guy just flat out lied to me last night.

He was pitching me an extended warranty and I declined it because it was too much. He punched some numbers up and said "how about if I bring your payment to XXX, that's less than a $10 increase." Well he was right, it was a $10 increase over the number he was previously telling me. So I thought that wasn't a bad deal and I took it, that's only about $600, not bad for a warranty...

Now in reviewing the numbers the warranty did indeed bring me up to payment XXX just like he said, but the cost was over $1800, not about $600 (60 mo. x $10) like he said. I had noticed this, but didn't think much of it because the payment was the XXX amount like he said.

With all the documentation in hand here at home I can run all the numbers, and I have no idea where he came up with the first number that made the warranty look like it was only $10 a month more. He lied to me to make his warranty look like it was costing less than it does.

You can bet I'll be down there at 9am Monday morning ready to complain, and I've already got a letter drafted up explaining the situation and requesting refund on the warranty. At the very least I'm allowed to cancel the warranty according to it's contract. I can get the balance of the value back minus a cancellation fee, though I'm going to try and get it all back.

I'm not a stupid person, but I'm beginning to feel that way after what the F&I guy put me through last night. I feel like a sucker, used, abused, whatever. Save yourselves the trouble and don't take I-35 North to Chandler Road.
Old Mar 16, 2003, 11:15 AM
Evolving Member

Sorry to hear that they screwed you. That is something you really have to be careful about when buying a car. Of course I know I don't need to tell you that, I think you have figured it out by now. When I was buying my O-Z in Houston and we were negotiating I would make an offer the salesman would leave for about 10min and then come back with a counter. Then I made an offer of $15,750 the guy leaves for about 20min (hoping I would get desperate) and then he came back and said congratulations and shook my hand. When I looke at the purchsae agreement it had $15,850 on it. I said whoa there partner that's not the price I agreed on and he said "Well the GM said you weren't going to let the deal slip through over a hundred bucks" I said no the offer is $15,750 now go back and tell the GM that it is his $100. Finally he came back and I got the car for the $15,750. OF course the purchasse agreement had a bunch of extra crap on it even after that he tried to sneak in on me. I just looked at him and told him to take all of that off because did not want it and wasn't going to pay for it. All in all I felt good about staying strong but it just reinforces all of the bad things that you read and hear about salesmen doing. So, next time you buy a car just remember the lessons that you learned and next time should be better (all be it not at the same dealership.)

Irregardless of the dealer I hope that you are enjoying your Evo.
Old Mar 16, 2003, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

Oh yah, the Evo rocks. And I will get my money back on the warranty because it has a cancellation clause in it. I just made a misinformed decision based on a lie that was told to me by the F&I guy.

Quick Reply: Evos in Austin