Notices
South Region Includes AR, LA, MS, NM, OK, TX, NE, KS.

Evos in Austin

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2003, 01:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
biker boyz? or some s@#t like that.....yeah, i saw the trailer and decided i'd rather light my $10 bill on fire than waste it on that crap......david's car did have the sun roof and to be honest, i don't see why people claim there's less headroom because i didn't feel it...then again, i'm 5'8" so it doesn't matter to me anyway, there will be head room for me if i sat in a moving box....
Old Mar 19, 2003, 02:33 PM

I'm getting without sunroof because that's what I can get in black for the price I want. I'd be happy to have a sunroof but I found that I don't use it nearly as often in Texas as I did in California. It's too hot here. Although today would be a great day for it. The roof never leaked in the 4.5 years I owned my last car, but it did break twice. It'll be okay to be without.

The headroom in the sunroof model that I sat in was just fine. I am 6' so I'm not huge, but a little uncomfortable in a Civic. The spaciousness overall was remarkably similar to my Passat which is nice for a compact car.

I had the VW dark blue which is almost black so I'm used to the heat in the summer. It's not that big a deal to crank the A/C and roll the windows down for a couple of minutes. Frankly though I think every single color looks great on the evo. For personal reasons I'd stick to black, silver, or white, but I like understated clothes too.

I just got my insurance in order and I can't believe it is so cheap. It is through USAA, but the new Evo is cheaper than my 4.5 year old Passat. It also came in under WRX numbers. I know they aren't Lancer number because it is more than the Lancer, but it looks like USAA is going to keep the rate low until more Evo's crash.

Now, I'm just waiting for my phone to ring with the call the my car is off the truck. Every time my phone rings I get excited until I see that the caller ID isn't what I want...god what a great day to be driving around in a new Evo. If I wasn't sure about getting the car from somewhere else I'd have to go to Barrett and get a test drive.
Old Mar 19, 2003, 02:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have sat in both with/without and there is like an inch and a half difference. So, "what is an inch and a half" you say? Well, in our GSX that would make all of the difference. I constantly bounce my head off of the roof and I am 5' 11." I have to set the seat lean back some and it really screws with my driving style. I end up wedging my knee against the center console and I get a nice little bruise there after a single event. So, it matters a little to me. I will bring my helmet and see how much though. I might just have to live with it anyway. We will see.

/<
Old Mar 19, 2003, 02:36 PM

when i find the nicest dealer i am getting a blue or red one. i have a yellow now and he's right that's too much attention. so hope to see ya'll tonight at fudds!!
Old Mar 19, 2003, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

redza: Back to the topic of the 6, how do you and your GF like it? Don't you think the front looks kind of Evo'ish? I saw a yellow one coming down 360 at me yesterday and started to get excited because I thought it was another Evo on the road! Turns out it was just a 6.

I think Mazda is definitely on the right track, first the MP3 and P5, now the new6, MP3 turbo, and RX8.
Old Mar 19, 2003, 03:13 PM

First off... Lulu, I would like to apologize for how you were treated. We want everyone to be happy when they leave this dealership, with or without a car. David (the owner) would like anyone who wishes to speak to him, to call and do so. 531-5090.

LULU----Let us make it up to you..
TREES---What about a black with a sunroof for the same price as one without.(and we have one - so you don't have to wait!!)
K-----There is red one here with your name on it.

David Smith(GM-Owner)
Ken Rose (GSM)
Henry Hilliard(Sales)

We want you all to be in an Evo. I promise we will work with you.

My name is Rene Garcia. If you have any questions on available Evos call me. I can tell you when any car is coming (color, spoiler,sunroof, etc.). If we don't have one I will find one for you.
Old Mar 19, 2003, 04:27 PM
Evolving Member

this is a little OT but to tell you the truth, if i was looking into a daily driver, i would definitely look at mazdas. my g/f's mazda6 is sweet looking, she got a silver, v-6, stick shift, fully loaded (sports package, bose stereo, leather, power everything) for about 25K. i'm really happy she got it, (not just because i get to drive it!) but because it's probably, imo, the best value mid-sized sedan out there...cheaper (and better looking) than the accord, altima, g20, camry....and the interior is almost as nice as the 3 series bimmers....handles really well too....

i'd love to take credit for her buying it but she surprised me....she's the one who wanted the stick and the v-6...i just went along and said 'hell yeah!'. actually i was trying to get her to look at the mazdaspeed protege which is a nice little car for $20K even, but she wanted a little more cushy-ness....

but you're right iodine, mazda are definitely going places with the '03/'04 line-up....my friend has a deposit down on the rx-8 and i can't wait to see what it's like.
Old Mar 19, 2003, 05:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by k_fabec
I have sat in both with/without and there is like an inch and a half difference. So, "what is an inch and a half" you say? Well, in our GSX that would make all of the difference. I constantly bounce my head off of the roof and I am 5' 11." I have to set the seat lean back some and it really screws with my driving style. I end up wedging my knee against the center console and I get a nice little bruise there after a single event. So, it matters a little to me. I will bring my helmet and see how much though. I might just have to live with it anyway. We will see.

/<

I get that same damn bruise in my Lancer O-Z from bracing myself through the turns. That and my legs are pretty big so there is not a lot of room through there.
Old Mar 19, 2003, 05:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by RGARCIA
First off... Lulu, I would like to apologize for how you were treated. We want everyone to be happy when they leave this dealership, with or without a car. David (the owner) would like anyone who wishes to speak to him, to call and do so. 531-5090.

LULU----Let us make it up to you..
TREES---What about a black with a sunroof for the same price as one without.(and we have one - so you don't have to wait!!)
K-----There is red one here with your name on it.

David Smith(GM-Owner)
Ken Rose (GSM)
Henry Hilliard(Sales)

We want you all to be in an Evo. I promise we will work with you.

My name is Rene Garcia. If you have any questions on available Evos call me. I can tell you when any car is coming (color, spoiler,sunroof, etc.). If we don't have one I will find one for you.
Mr. Garcia,

I am not in Austin otherwise I would definitely check out your dealership. Sounds like you guys started off on the wrong foot but are intelligent and realized the damage that can do to your reputation especially with the new digital age and light speed transmission of opinions and perceptions. It is refreshing to see a dealership realize that just because a person in your store may not buy something today either that person or someone that person knows may eventually be a potential customer. Good that you nipped that stuff in the bud as it makes you a whole lot more enticing as a potential vendor to someone when people start hearing about how well they were treated at Barrett Mitsu as oppose to how some salesguy ticked them off. Kudos to you and the other staff that you listed.

Sorry for the OT but as I see dealers posting on here further adding to the frustrations of potential Evo buyers I did submit an e-mail to Mitsu corporat regarding a dealership in Cali. and did receive a response so I know it was read and understood. I just wanted to take this oportunity to give some accolades to a dealership to offset the negativity I have been fostering regarding most dealers. Makes me feel better anyway and keeps you people entertained for at least a few moments as you scan and realize that there is really not much in here.

By the way all you Austinites, congrats on your purchases. I received word today that they have located my color choice and hopefully it will be here soon. Date TBA.
Old Mar 20, 2003, 02:36 AM

Just thought I'd let everyone know that I did talk to Rene Garcia at Barrett over the phone. He said all the right things and even respected my desire to stay in my current situation and reward the salesman I've been working with for over a month for his hard work. I was impressed that he didn't try to steal the sale and even looked up my VIN in their tracking system to corroborate what I've heard about my car.

It seems that Barrett is taking the negative response very seriously. It also seems like it is dawning on them that the economy is in the crapper, we're going to war, and the audience that this car appeals to generally doesn't make enough $$ to afford it. I think we'll all be in our evos at reasonable prices in the near future.
Old Mar 20, 2003, 03:13 AM
Evolving Member

Ive been searching for an Evo. I dont think I can afford it though. But shopping is always the fun part. Maybe if I can find the right deal I can talk my step dad into financing me again
Old Mar 20, 2003, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

Oh the agony! The car is sitting down in the parking garage here at work with 599 miles on the odometer. It rolled over to 599 quite a distance from work, so I think it's actually sitting closer to 599.8 or 599.9. Not that 1 mile is going to make much of a difference and all... but I figured I'd just save the fun for after work!
Old Mar 20, 2003, 03:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
OK...

I went up to Barrett Mitsu this afternoon at around lunch. They were very eager to hear my side of the story. Let me start by saying, David Smith and Rene Garcia care about their dealership and our experiences there. Two very nice and helpful guys. I talked about the whole experience and got exactly what I wanted. They treated me with respect and were very eager to help resolve any issues. This is what I expected in the first place. This thread has brought many things to their attention. I can honestly say that I wish I had run into them first. So, with that said, when you visit Barrett, ask for either David Smith or Ken Rose only. Both of them are the owners of the store and care greatly about its reputation. So to summarize, they apologized, I got to test drive (lightly) an EVO and they made me an offer on a car that I am seriously consideriing. So I am finished with this thread. Time for me to move on to other issues.
Like what I thought about the EVO!

/<

PS. If you have problems or want to talk about an EVO, just ask for Ken Rose, or David Smith

PPS. Lulu, might want to go up there and give them another chance. See if you feel the same way.

Last edited by travestyevo; Mar 20, 2003 at 04:10 PM.