Notices
South Region Includes AR, LA, MS, NM, OK, TX, NE, KS.

Evos in Austin

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2003, 08:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
K: Just don't start yelling and cussing at them and I'm sure they'll be more than happy not to kick you out.

David seems like a good guy, he called again today to make sure stuff was okay because he had just read one of my older emails where I was still concerned about stuff. He also watched on as I re-signed all my contracts last night to make sure everything went smoothly.

I just checked the Barrett website and noticed a $500 coupon towards any new or used car on there and a new Evo pic in place of the picture of me. Guess my 15 minutes of fame are up, but it's probably better to show a car they actually have in stock, too.

lulu: I can only imagine what you must've gone through then. I'm sure it's never too late to call and complain, because they should want you to keep coming back. Hell if you really want an Evo and are willing to buy, it's their loss for forcing you out of the store, right?
Old Mar 19, 2003, 12:46 AM
Evolving Member

Geez, I don't believe I'm writing this, never in my life did I think I would ever have a good experience at a dealership but I went to Barrett today and I have to admit, they've been monitoring this board and I think they're doing their best to avoid further negative press. My girlfriend picked up her new car today (a Mazda 6 from Premier Mazda) and since we were right next door, I suggested we stopped at Barrett to see if the horror stories were true. Anyway, met one of the sales guys, Henry, who seemed nice enough and when I asked about the Evo, he took me straight in to see Kenny Rose, one of the partners, as apparently all potential Evo buyers are going straight to him now.

Kenny (and I know you're reading this, buddy!) is car salesperson personified....seeemed genuinely eager to make me happy by stroking my ego/emotions so hard I had to keep pinching myself and saying 'it's just a car, it's just a car'.....anyway, he was well aware of what's being said here and was keen to make my experience as painless as possible. He also asked me if I wanted to take a test drive in David's car which I obviously did not decline.

Holy S@#t! The car is awesome, pulls nice and hard at about 3200rpm (had to keep it under 5k) and is super responsive....a lot more than I had imagined. Anyway, get back to Barrett, knees still weak and shaking from the test drive and they're trying to sell one to me on the spot. Luckily I had my girlfriend there to tell me to run my numbers again, which was good because I was pretty tempted.

Anyway, point of the story is, and you may flame me if you want, my experience with Barrett was way better than at Gillman, but I think that's due to the fact that they read this thread and they want to offload the 6 or 7 Evos they have left. Unfortunately, still not at MSRP, I don't know what you paid iodine, but I was quoted MSRP + approx. 3000, including the pit pass.....after I run my numbers, I'm going to think long and hard about it....I'm doubtful it'll happen for another 3 months or so, since I'm just starting a new job on Monday but we'll see....I already have my lotto tickets for this Wednesday!
Old Mar 19, 2003, 09:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by redza
Anyway, point of the story is, and you may flame me if you want, my experience with Barrett was way better than at Gillman, but I think that's due to the fact that they read this thread and they want to offload the 6 or 7 Evos they have left.
Now why would I flame you? This is exactly what I wanted to hear! In fact, the treatment you recieved would have been beyond all of my expectations from the very begining. I wish I could have been there. I am very glad to hear Barrett is attempting to change. Thats awesome. I am going to give David a call after lunch and maybe try and go see him in person. And 3k over is starting to get more reasonable.

/<
Old Mar 19, 2003, 09:45 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by iodine23
K: Just don't start yelling and cussing at them and I'm sure they'll be more than happy not to kick you out.
After talking to you on the phone last night, this makes a little more sense. You were under the impression that actually I did those things. I thought you were just poking fun the first time I read it. It is funny sometimes to hear multiple sides of the story. I got a kick out of it. Now it seems really funny to me.

/<
Old Mar 19, 2003, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

K: I was told you lost your cool, you told me they lost their cool, I don't know who to believe. I just won't take any sides and make it easy!

redza: They let me drive that car after I had agreed to buy, good to hear they're letting you run it around a little now. Ken was the one that I did my final dealing with. It's good to hear all negotiations go through him now.

3k over, that's better than 8k over, right? The pit pass adds some value if you factor the retail price of 9 oil changes, 15k service, and 30k service. I'll let you see what final numbers you can get out of them, and then once they sell all their cars or their price finally comes down below what I paid then I'll say what I paid.

As long as you're happy with what you paid, it doesn't really matter anyways right? I wouldn't second guess myself with the purchase of this car. I bought it because it's an Evo, not because it's practical. If I wanted practical I'd be in a Prius or Insight since I commute 50+ miles a day.
Old Mar 19, 2003, 12:31 PM
Evolving Member

actually, i respect whatever amount you paid for it, i'm not here to second guess anyone's purchase. the price he quoted me (33k) includes the $2000 pit pass so in actuality, it's only about $1000 over MSRP. i can live with that but i ran my numbers last night and i don't think it'll happen for another 3 months or so. don't get me wrong, i'd love to go out today and put money down on the evo but have to balance the budget first.

but i'm glad to see that we're finally getting the treatment ALL customers deserve. anyway, i'm just going to have to keep calm over the evo and wait till i can realistically afford one. got out of u.t. last august and i've been hopping around temp jobs till now. like i said earlier, i start my permanent job on monday and will be looking into it as soon as possible.

also, k, best of luck when you go down to barrett, hope you get a good deal! we should definitely start meeting up once we all have our evos.....oh yeah, what color are you looking at k? i know iodine has a white, go_trees is picking up a black and i'm looking at the yellow (or blue by you, if barrett ever gets one)
Old Mar 19, 2003, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

I used to big a big fan of yellow. Hell I'm wearing a yellow t-shirt right now. But maybe I've grown out of the wanting a yellow car phase. In general I'm actually more of a fan of the non-colored Evos. I could've just as easily bought a black one, and the one on the showroom that replaced my white looks damn sharp. I just kind of fell in love with white when I saw that white Evo7 in the UK last year.

Yellow would definitely stand out! And pics I've seen of the blue make it look much better than what they had in the pre-release pictures and on their website now.

Are you looking to go sunroof or not?
Old Mar 19, 2003, 01:07 PM
Evolving Member

yeah, yellow is a little too 'boy-racer'. i'm 27 so maybe i shouldn't be looking at yellow... reason i'm looking at yellow is because it's a really nice yellow that is hard to find on cars. the blue looks nice from the pics i've seen on this board, but i have yet to see one in real life though. black looks REALLY sweet but it doesn't contrast the cf spoiler like yellow or white does.

definitely going with no sunroof. i have a sunroof in my current car ('91 mazda mx-6) which will still be my daily driver. it also leaks when it rains and i know it'll be many years before the weather stripping wears out on the evo but having dealt with soggy pants on a wet seat, i'll give it a miss.
Old Mar 19, 2003, 01:08 PM
Evolving Member

Red is probably the way for me. Also no sunroof, need that helmet clearance. It is going to be hard for me to make it up to Barrett today with the weather looking so awesome!!! It is days like today that reminds me why I live in Austin! It is so nice out right now, think I might skip out work early and head down to Zilker!

/<
Old Mar 19, 2003, 01:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by redza
yeah, yellow is a little too 'boy-racer'. i'm 27 so maybe i shouldn't be looking at yellow...
My little lady has a yellow s2k and it seems like every light someone wants to give it a go. Everything from WRXs to Rednecks in old F100s with open exhausts. I think we are finished with yellow. It attracts way to much attention and usually the wrong type. I really liked white but after seening one in person, I would have to swap out the rear lights with EVO 7 ones. My Eagle Talon TSi was black and I sore never again. 110 degree summers suck in a black car. Blue might be cool, and red seems to look best with the altezas. But to each his own. White would be my second choice with silver a very close third. But we also already have a Silver car.

If we decide to get the M3 SMG (my other choice next to an EVO) it will be white.

/<
Old Mar 19, 2003, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

Yah, it's awesome out and the Evo needs more miles and I'm stuck here at work doing critical documentation crap, yuck. I am going to soccer practice at 6pm over at UT though, should be a great evening for that!

So if yellow is a little too boy racer, then what about the CF wing, 17" rims, clear tails, recaros, and 4" exhaust tip?
Old Mar 19, 2003, 01:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by iodine23
So if yellow is a little too boy racer, then what about the CF wing, 17" rims, clear tails, recaros, and 4" exhaust tip?
Nothing I can do about that, anyway thats the good stuff! Stock is Stock to me. Remember the old 91/92 Galant VR4? Now that was a wolf in sheep skin. Really, just an evo 3.

Can't wait for Fast and Furiously Ricey 2 to come out!!! /vin-on "You never had me" /vin-off

/<
Old Mar 19, 2003, 01:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by k_fabec
Also no sunroof, need that helmet clearance
/<
Have you sat in one with a sunroof? Surprisingly it has a lot of headroom clearance. Almost as much as the one without. I am not trying to push a sunroof because my preference is without one but just thought if you liked the sunroof you should give it a try. Now if you don't like the sunroof for other reasons as well please by all means disregard what I said above.

Still patiently (yeah right) waiting for my Evo.
Old Mar 19, 2003, 01:48 PM
Evolving Member

geez, the weather is awesome! i got a much better job offer in dallas but i turned it down to stay here. i don't think you could pay me enough to leave austin....

so, running count is:
iodine: white
go_trees: black
k: red
me: yellow or blue

that sounds like a good combination for austin.. any silvers out there? anyway, i'm sick of sitting in my cube....going outside to enjoy the weather.....and smoke a cigarette...
Old Mar 19, 2003, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

I got a sunroof for a few reasons:

1. They only had white with sunroof.
2. Markup on the sunroof/non-sunroof cars was different, sunroof had less markup (at least pre-negotiation).
3. I'm not that concerned with the weight or regidity sacrifices you may make with the sunroof. I probably won't race the car, except maybe AutoX, so I'm not concerned with every last ounce of weight savings.
4. We live in a warm climate, and it's fun to pop the lid up or slide it back and get some fresh air into the car!

There is quite a bit of headroom clearance in the car, you can check it out on my car when you see it... or check it on David's car up at Barrett. Errr, I don't know if his car had the sunroof or not.

Speaking of "Faster than Your Grandma, and more Furious Too!" did you guys see those commercials for that motorcycle rip-off of F&F? I forget what it was called, but that looked soooo bad.

Quick Reply: Evos in Austin