Notices
Southeast Region Includes AL, FL, GA, NC, SC, TN, KY.
View Poll Results: How many people are ready to start meeting up in 2013?
I'll make time!
100.00%
Not me... too busy!
0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Tampa Area Threads

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2011, 06:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Didn't you tell me that the guy I tuned my car with sold his dyno? I don't trust street tunes, even though I've been told they yield the best results. I just trust dyno tunes more because each pull has the same constants versus street tuning which has too many variables.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HISEVO7
Didn't you tell me that the guy I tuned my car with sold his dyno? I don't trust street tunes, even though I've been told they yield the best results. I just trust dyno tunes more because each pull has the same constants versus street tuning which has too many variables.
Just have Doug tune your car and use S&R from now on...
Old Mar 25, 2011, 08:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Alex,

Scott got read of his Dyno, but he can tune at CFT or Titan and use their Dyno.

I believe that is what he has been doing.

I my self do not like street tunes either. I never done them and never will.

If you are not sure, give him a call.

Or, use EvoG8r recommendation.

We will still like you no matter what you decide, .

Old Mar 26, 2011, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

SRTRaceR04...

The car scene in Tampa is huge. The Evo scene is quite a bit smaller... partly because no one has taken the time to hunt everyone down and bring us together. A couple of us are trying to change that one Evo at a time. I hope to meet you and yours no matter where in Florida you settle in.

Lumpy...

Thanks for posting the pics! You are always welcome to join us!

Thanks for the warm invite man. My g/f is actually going to be in that area Monday to look at houses.

If I don't pick up a Z before I head down there I'm definitely bring my Evo (both of them if I don't sell the Silver one first). Always down for Evo get togethers.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 05:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SRTRaceR04
Thanks for the warm invite man. My g/f is actually going to be in that area Monday to look at houses.

If I don't pick up a Z before I head down there I'm definitely bring my Evo (both of them if I don't sell the Silver one first). Always down for Evo get togethers.
We look forward to meeting you in the area.

What brings you to Tampa? Sunshine? Lot's of nice areas to live, but some areas to avoid as well.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 06:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoG8r
We look forward to meeting you in the area.

What brings you to Tampa? Sunshine? Lot's of nice areas to live, but some areas to avoid as well.

Yes and no. I hate NC (been here 5 years). It was just a matter of time before I moved back to FL. I've always been interested in Tampa.

And every major city is going to have less than nice parts. A heads up of places to avoid would be awesome though because I don't really know the area too well!!
Old Mar 27, 2011, 07:42 AM

How about staying away from USF. I live a short walk from it. It's not terrible. However, it looks run down compared to neighborhoods just a few minutes from that. I live a short walk in the other direction to New Tampa. Huge difference! It's like that just a few minutes in almost ANY direction from USF.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SRTRaceR04
Yes and no. I hate NC (been here 5 years). It was just a matter of time before I moved back to FL. I've always been interested in Tampa.

And every major city is going to have less than nice parts. A heads up of places to avoid would be awesome though because I don't really know the area too well!!
I'll PM you my number. Call me and we can talk about it.

-Fred
Old Mar 28, 2011, 09:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
How about staying away from USF. I live a short walk from it. It's not terrible. However, it looks run down compared to neighborhoods just a few minutes from that. I live a short walk in the other direction to New Tampa. Huge difference! It's like that just a few minutes in almost ANY direction from USF.
Not to mention Temple Terrace's stupid red light cameras.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 04:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Lumpy
Not to mention Temple Terrace's stupid red light cameras.
Far too much auto theft around USF too.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 05:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 04AWDTURBOEVO
Alex,

Scott got read of his Dyno, but he can tune at CFT or Titan and use their Dyno.

I believe that is what he has been doing.

I my self do not like street tunes either. I never done them and never will.

If you are not sure, give him a call.

Or, use EvoG8r recommendation.

We will still like you no matter what you decide, .

He tuned me over at CFT a little over a month ago.
I sent my car back there when it blew the head gasket so they are reworking the car and I should have it back this week.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 06:21 AM

Hey, another newbie here, In North Palm Harbor. Got the car in June, WOW! Never thought I'd be lucky enouph to own one of these. Just starting, very basic mods. Would love to here about any of your modding do's or don't. & of any suggestions on who you would go to locally to get my 1st tune out of the way. Its my daily driver & am nervous as hell about doing anything that'll f with how well shes runs, or could shorten her life. Am I being paranoid?
Old Mar 30, 2011, 08:00 AM

No, not paranoid at all. The Evo is a money pit that requires good decisions. I've had my VII for many years before I finally made my first mod. I guess it really all depends on what you are looking for your Evo to evolve into. I am looking at making mine into a 500hp to the wheels with enough torque to almost give a person whip lash. I'm not looking for much else other than a nice paint job and a few vinyls. There are many Evo's here in Tampa and dozens more in Ft. Meyers and Orlando.

Make sure you make plans for the annual Evo meet in Orlando every November where you will see more Evo's in one place than you can imagine. Feel free to post as often as you want. One of us will always respond. Promise.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 09:08 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DrinkyCrow
Hey, another newbie here, In North Palm Harbor. Got the car in June, WOW! Never thought I'd be lucky enouph to own one of these. Just starting, very basic mods. Would love to here about any of your modding do's or don't. & of any suggestions on who you would go to locally to get my 1st tune out of the way. Its my daily driver & am nervous as hell about doing anything that'll f with how well shes runs, or could shorten her life. Am I being paranoid?
There's lots of good info here: Everything I've learned after 4+ years with my Evo
Bookmark that or subscribe to it. It'll probably save you some money and trouble.

Locally, there's the places they mentioned in Orlando. If you want something closer, I'd recommend S&R. I don't have an Evo, but they've been nothing but professional with my Lancer. I had them cut and re-weld my sway bar mounts to get the bar to fit with my exhaust. I've also been to a dyno day as well as a meet and greet there.

They work on everything, and I mean everything. I've seen everything there from a 240SX drift car, to an old 60's Corvette dragster, several turbo Z's, and even just simple things like a Subaru getting an oil change. They do cryo treatment. They also mention DSM's on their site, so I'm sure they've got experience with Evos as well.

They're on Trask, off of Linebaugh, in Tampa.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DrinkyCrow
Welcome to the world of Evos. I have owned them since 2003 and there is the right way and wrong way to do stuff. I'm on my 2nd Evo IX and am determined to do this one perfectly.

I live nearby and me and my wife are closing on the MetroPCS store in Palm Harbor on Aldermann and Alt 19 in the next couple weeks. If you see a silver Evo IX there feel free to come in and say hi.

Quick Reply: Tampa Area Threads