Notices

Laser detectors....any opinions?

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2009, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Laser detectors....any opinions?

So first and fore most i know these are illegal in Toronto. Second I want to introduce myself....name is the same as the handle....im 22, recently bought my first 09 lancer GT and work in an industry where my lisence is my life.

So to avoid any un necessary tickets im looking into the Beltronics Sti....apparently the only one undetectable to laser detector detectors.

Anyone have any opinions on these...i dont want laser jammers...or any of those other expensive toys.
Old May 23, 2009, 05:02 PM
Evolved Member

Best way to avoid tickets is to drive responsibly!
Old May 23, 2009, 11:11 PM

funny that you mentioned... i was at a performance shop and cops pulled up... they hasssled a guy getting a mod done... and made him hand over his radar detector..

i didn't know cops can pick up the signal just like that
Old May 23, 2009, 11:11 PM

oh and its 3 demerit points for getting caught with one
Old May 23, 2009, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by andrewp

So to avoid any un necessary tickets im looking into the Beltronics Sti....apparently the only one undetectable to laser detector detectors.
to avoid any unnecessary tickets learn to not speed and abide by the law.

its not difficult, plus you save yourself a couple hundred bucks

/thread
Old May 24, 2009, 01:52 PM

^i agree with ron, but if u are really adamant about doing it, js letting u know there are DIY's out there on the web that teach u how to hide the wires for the detector.
that being said, i still wouldnt do it or suggest anyone to do it.
Old May 24, 2009, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

You might want to check into this... http://www.radarjammertechnology.com/
Old May 24, 2009, 04:46 PM

Im in no means suggesting that speeding is good...but how many times have you seen a cop and been, " oh damn that way close". Anyone who drives downhill on finch between don mills and bayview or the guy hiding between kennedy and midland on mc nicoll where its 50km and everyone is doing about 60 should know how these guys hide.

Now for all those who claim they obey the speed limit at exactly 60km/h congrats....

But it would be nice to have a heads up.

And laser jammers i would do cause they are exposed.....

The guy who got caught and hasselled by the cops probably had a detector which was detectable. The police use radar detector detectors....
Old May 24, 2009, 05:15 PM
Evolving Member

In halton hills they had a cop car with a Taxi sign on the roof. Looked like a taxi but when you read the sign is said "Police" and underneath it had the number for the police. Caught alot of people in this area.

Just read in the newspaper they stopped this because the public was complaining about unfair advantages.

So i guess if we are allowed detectors etc the cops will find ways to get around this. I guess it works both ways.
Old May 24, 2009, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by andrewp
Im in no means suggesting that speeding is good...but how many times have you seen a cop and been, " oh damn that way close". Anyone who drives downhill on finch between don mills and bayview or the guy hiding between kennedy and midland on mc nicoll where its 50km and everyone is doing about 60 should know how these guys hide.

Now for all those who claim they obey the speed limit at exactly 60km/h congrats....

But it would be nice to have a heads up.

And laser jammers i would do cause they are exposed.....

The guy who got caught and hasselled by the cops probably had a detector which was detectable. The police use radar detector detectors....
i see your reasoning, and I don't disagree,

but consider the following:

if you have a radar detector, you will undoubtedly feel more daring because of the added "safety", ergo probably increasing the likelihood of speeding. An increase in chances of speeding = an increase in chances of being booked, since like you mentioned, cops also have radar-detector detectors. so not only do you indirectly and subconsciously encourage yourself to speed, you risk getting booked even harder for having a radar detector.

i see why people get these things, but at the end of the day, from whichever viewpoint i look at it from its still lose-lose.

but of course, don't let some random dude from the internet tell you what to do

/rant
Old May 24, 2009, 10:57 PM
Evolving Member

If you ever get caught with your detector, good luck in trying to get the points reduced / eliminated cause chances are you won't be able to. Its not like speeding where fines and points can be reduced because there are circumstances with which you can fight it with, but a detector is simply an illegal act...no buts.