Notices

S-AWC pump- has anyone had theirs fail from cold weather? need your advice

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2011, 11:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S-AWC pump- has anyone had theirs fail from cold weather? need your advice

Hi guys/gals

about a month ago when it was -20 or so i started up my car and i noticed there was a service required light and the "tarmac/snow/gravel" modes would no longer work, after doing some searching it looks like it is a result of the S-AWC pump failing due to the liquid freezing, while mitsubishi has not created a TSB for this, they have unofficially admitted this problem since they have produced a revised pump to prevent this problem on future models, also from browsing the forum this seems to be a problem that lots of evos are having in colder climates, mitsubishi seems to be replacing this part under warrenty with out any issues..my problem is that i have over 100K KM on the car, and over the phone markham mitsubishi said they would need to first inspect the car for "4-6 hours" before determining what the problem is and that they most likely will not cover my vehicle since it is out of warranty..yes i completely understand...but this is apparently an expensive fix..at least 3K from what i hear, do you guys really think i should be paying for this? the problem was caused by cold weather and a defect in their pump, not caused by the amount of driving, is it really fair that i should pay this much only because i have put lots of mileage on the vehicle? should i fix the car? should i complain? should i just sit on my *** and wait for a possible tsb to come out soon? does anyone know anyone that could help me out? let me know thanks
Old Mar 3, 2011, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

Why not try a different dealership. A lot of us here have bad experiences / hate Markham Mitsubishi
Old Mar 3, 2011, 01:25 PM

Never go to Markham mitsu man. Try Maple Mitsubishi.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 02:02 PM
Evolving Member

FWIW, on the Ralliart, we had a TSB which had the ACD reprogrammed because of problems in cold weather. It was causing undue stress on the pump motor in sub-freezing temps. Maybe that needs to be cited for the Evo, too.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 08:10 PM

I had the same problem. The SAWC pump failed. Mine was covered under warranty though at Dixie Mitsubishi.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by suprPHREAK
FWIW, on the Ralliart, we had a TSB which had the ACD reprogrammed because of problems in cold weather. It was causing undue stress on the pump motor in sub-freezing temps. Maybe that needs to be cited for the Evo, too.
Yeah... there's a software reflash for the EVO X too in regards to the ACD and cold weather. One time when I brought my car into the dealership they reflashed it for me.

I can't remember the details of that TSB tho.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Speak of the Devil... I found the TSB!

https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=...NzFkNDcz&hl=en
Old Mar 4, 2011, 05:27 AM

Two dealers told me the reflash wasn't applicable to my vehicle, despite it being a '09 RA built before Aug 28, 2009. I made reference to the TSB, but it seemed to go in one ear and out the other.

Thankfully Scarborough Mitsubishi had a clue, and did the reflash for me in early February. I didn't have any issues before, but with our unseasonably cold winter this year, I didn't want any problems.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 07:12 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GTA_MITSU
Two dealers told me the reflash wasn't applicable to my vehicle, despite it being a '09 RA built before Aug 28, 2009. I made reference to the TSB, but it seemed to go in one ear and out the other.

Thankfully Scarborough Mitsubishi had a clue, and did the reflash for me in early February. I didn't have any issues before, but with our unseasonably cold winter this year, I didn't want any problems.

Thats BS. It takes them 2 seconds to plug the car in, and see if it has been done, or if it is eligible. The MEDIC system keeps all this stuff on file at Mitsu, and can look up everything.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 08:18 AM
Evolving Member

thanks for the help so far...now..what do you guys think? so there was a tsb issued in 2009 for programming that would have prevented my awc pump from failing, i did not have this service done, i think i have a good case here...
Old Mar 4, 2011, 09:18 AM
Evolving Member

Yes. If you have taken your car back for maintenance then this should of come up. Also its mitsubishi job to send you notices / tsb of recalls etc if the car is still under warranty at the time.

I would fight it.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 10:28 AM
Evolving Member

Just wondering, Ted do you keep your car parked in a garage or outdoors?

Seems like I might need to get this done.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 10:46 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by initialdrew
Just wondering, Ted do you keep your car parked in a garage or outdoors?

Seems like I might need to get this done.
andrew, my car is always in the garage at night

the problem happened when i went over to my dads place to watch 2 football games a few weeks ago in -20 temperature, that same day after driving home i got the problem the first time

anyways i am going to go in to have it officially diagnosed, i will keep you guys updated
Old Mar 8, 2011, 08:52 AM

I had the same problem and took it to Markham Mitsu...worst f_cking place and service ever...they don't even know wtf they are doing. They said I only needed a reflash, I asked them if they test drove the car...they said of course...it's protocal to test drive every car after we service it...but when I go to pickup the car...I barely drive 5m and are still in the lot when the light comes on again. Bunch of morons working there...never ever go back there. Mitsu Canada should close that Stealership down or change ownership.
Took it to another dealership and the mechanic there took 20 mins to test the pump and to find the problem...pump had to be replaced and it was covered under warranty.