Notices

Clutch for 2.3 and 35R daily driven

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2007, 01:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heres a theory...your came on boost so quick that you thought it was your clutch slipping but it was accually you smokin' your tires off.. ...I know that I'm on my stock wheels now and its colder now = NO TRACTION!! I couldnt tell right now if my clutch held or if was slippin'....it doesnt stink so I guess shes good ..
Old Jan 5, 2007, 04:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by OneFast4Door
Heres a theory...your came on boost so quick that you thought it was your clutch slipping but it was accually you smokin' your tires off.. ...I know that I'm on my stock wheels now and its colder now = NO TRACTION!! I couldnt tell right now if my clutch held or if was slippin'....it doesnt stink so I guess shes good ..
That is actually not a bad theory. Thanks for your input.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 05:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TurbotrixRacing
yeah.. he is right, it does have that groaning noise upon takeoff.. we noticed that if you go with an aftermarket flywheel its not as bad. how did you smoke a twin carbon in under 5k miles? was it installed wrong?

-Mike
I'm not sure how the clutch went away so fast. It worked fine on stock turbo, but when I installed the full-race turbo setup and meth injection it started to slip on the dyno once we reached around 21 psi or so. The ACT 6 puck is great and holds everything I need. It'd be perfect if it wasn't for the groan/squeal, but I can live with that.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
any update to the Six puck holding the power of a Stroker 35R?
Old Apr 12, 2007, 08:15 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by High_PSI
any update to the Six puck holding the power of a Stroker 35R?
The six puck will be more than enough to hold a 35R and stroker. We have 5 or 6 600+hp 2.3l 35r/HP66 cars driving around with that combo.

Keith
Old Apr 12, 2007, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks Keith, PM me a price for one installed on a IX MR with fluids? How do you prefer the Sprung unit? Can you resurface the flywheel on site?

FWIW I was in a Stock Motor AMS 35R Evo a couple of weeks ago and he was running a Tilton Tripple Carbon, when he banged thrid the clucth simply didn't hold, it was VERY dissappointing.

I like this Six puck, I had one in my DSM and it was beyound easy to drive with, it just would make an AWEFUL racket when deceling, does this unit do that? I don't mind it chattering while in neutral, I just worry that it;ll make noise WHILE driving.

Also what is the life of this thing on a true dialy driver, I do about 30K a year in driving, mostly putting along on the Park Way. Will it beat the HDSS in longevity?
Old Apr 12, 2007, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

Tilton.
Old Apr 12, 2007, 06:18 PM
Evolved Member

You guys run lightened flywheels too? Do they throw codes?
Old Apr 13, 2007, 05:59 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by High_PSI
Thanks Keith, PM me a price for one installed on a IX MR with fluids? How do you prefer the Sprung unit? Can you resurface the flywheel on site?

FWIW I was in a Stock Motor AMS 35R Evo a couple of weeks ago and he was running a Tilton Tripple Carbon, when he banged thrid the clucth simply didn't hold, it was VERY dissappointing.

I like this Six puck, I had one in my DSM and it was beyound easy to drive with, it just would make an AWEFUL racket when deceling, does this unit do that? I don't mind it chattering while in neutral, I just worry that it;ll make noise WHILE driving.

Also what is the life of this thing on a true dialy driver, I do about 30K a year in driving, mostly putting along on the Park Way. Will it beat the HDSS in longevity?
The sprung unit works well. The clutch is noisy on decel though and can make some noise when starting from a stop. If you can deal with the 6 puck noise then that clutch will fit your needs just fine. We have installed both the Fidanza and ACT lightened flywheels. Both work great and I have never seen or heard of one throwing a code.

Keith
Old Apr 16, 2007, 07:54 PM
Evolving Member

I have a ACT unsprung. Im not runnin as much power as you yet, but all the cars myself and my friend have built have always used act.

IT wasnt until i got an evo i was told to goto exedy. They have been crap for me in the past.

ACT is known for wearing down your flywheel but they take a big beating although they can be noisy.
You will experience this noise on virtually every car you install a heavy duty ACT on.

The clutch pedal is extremely stiff but what wrong with building your left leg muscle

Only complaint I feel legitimate is that damn squeeelling of the clutch at a fresh start.

That like i said i have experienced in mustangs, built b20vtecs, built b16s, and a GTP

I deal with it and Im used to it now. but for the price you cant beat it.
Old Apr 16, 2007, 08:53 PM
4DR
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TurbotrixRacing
The sprung unit works well. The clutch is noisy on decel though and can make some noise when starting from a stop. If you can deal with the 6 puck noise then that clutch will fit your needs just fine. We have installed both the Fidanza and ACT lightened flywheels. Both work great and I have never seen or heard of one throwing a code.

Keith
Good info keith. I am on the verge of buying one MD7-XTG6 (2600pp/6 puck sprung) and I have also heard of these lockouts at high rpm. I shift at 7K. I am more worried of how long this clutch will last, considering this clutch is overkill for my current setup, but will it last until I need it..like the next 15-20K when power is REALLY bumped up?
Old Apr 16, 2007, 10:30 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 4DR
Good info keith. I am on the verge of buying one MD7-XTG6 (2600pp/6 puck sprung) and I have also heard of these lockouts at high rpm. I shift at 7K. I am more worried of how long this clutch will last, considering this clutch is overkill for my current setup, but will it last until I need it..like the next 15-20K when power is REALLY bumped up?

The 6 puck disk should last you a long time. It all depends on power level and how much abuse you put on it(launching at the track every weekend, etc.). The clutch will be overkill for you now, but when you upgrade to a bigger turbo you will be all set.

Keith
Old Apr 17, 2007, 03:31 PM
4DR
Evolved Member

^^sounds good.