Notices

TSComptuned's 2009 GT-R with basic bolt ons

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2015, 04:11 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
TSComptuned's 2009 GT-R with basic bolt ons

I got around to tuning my GT-R 2 days ago on 93 octane. For now I left the boost at 17.4psi, but bumping it up to around 18.8psi will yield in about a 580whp or so.

My mods are:

- 2012 inlets
- Amuse 3” catless exhaust
- AMS 3.5” downpipes
- HKS midpipe
- FIC 1650cc injectors
- EcuTek RaceRom Phase4

At 15.9psi it made 538whp 541wtq
At 17.4psi it made 560whp 565wtq

Injector duty cycle was 45-46% on the highest pull
AFR was around 11.4-11.5

Below is a graph and a few pics & videos:

And heres a video of pulling in 2nd with traction control off just for fun. it never hooked in 2nd, just spun

Yes I still have my evo

Last edited by tscompusa; Mar 25, 2015 at 04:15 AM.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 06:01 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Tom-

to give you an idea- we just finished a 2013 Black edition- car had AMS downpipes and mid pipes-

with an 18psi peak boost level- and 13 up top (out of injector) it made 567/572 on our dyno-

the 2012+ are ALOT stronger stock than the 2009/10 cars- they make mid 400's here- its nuts-

our 2012 is ripped apart right now- waiting for a bunch of stuff to come in -

youll love it as you keep tinkering-

cb
Old Mar 26, 2015, 01:42 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by CBRD
Tom-

to give you an idea- we just finished a 2013 Black edition- car had AMS downpipes and mid pipes-

with an 18psi peak boost level- and 13 up top (out of injector) it made 567/572 on our dyno-

the 2012+ are ALOT stronger stock than the 2009/10 cars- they make mid 400's here- its nuts-

our 2012 is ripped apart right now- waiting for a bunch of stuff to come in -

youll love it as you keep tinkering-

cb
Hi Chad.

So would you say im still ok to push it further with more boost? Theres a lot left in my car that i know for sure. I stopped at 17.4psi because of the torque was already at 565wtq and from what I read HKS determined the super safe limit to be right around 564wtq for a road course car.

I of course do not road course, so what I do probably can handle a lot more power since its just short bursts of acceleration, rather then none stop WOT abuse.

From your personal experience so far with the platform, what torque level do you feel is safe?

576 on your dyno is most likely around the 620-650wtq dynojet area. So thats getting up there!

Let me know your thoughts on that.

Thanks,
Tom
Old Mar 26, 2015, 10:07 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
gotta love the tq. fascinating boost curves. is that target boost, or can a gtr really hold boost that precisely?
Old Mar 27, 2015, 03:16 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by mrfred
gotta love the tq. fascinating boost curves. is that target boost, or can a gtr really hold boost that precisely?
Ya its such a fun car! It feels like its a 2800lb car with 560whp. The transmission really makes up for so much in these cars.

That's the actual boost curve. The GT-R boost control is pretty insane.

If you want, I will share with you the log of the boost if you want.

I have four options of boost control with EcuTek I haven't tested all of them yet.

I am going to log with each one and see how they differ.

proportional correction, integral, both combined, etc. I'm just using the standard method right now, so a regular base wastegate.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 07:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you still on Skype? I have a new computer and can't seem to find you. I'm going to start playing with my GTR soon.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 03:40 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Steven
Are you still on Skype? I have a new computer and can't seem to find you. I'm going to start playing with my GTR soon.
My account was lost. add tom.no3
Old Apr 1, 2015, 07:08 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by tscompusa
Hi Chad.

So would you say im still ok to push it further with more boost? Theres a lot left in my car that i know for sure. I stopped at 17.4psi because of the torque was already at 565wtq and from what I read HKS determined the super safe limit to be right around 564wtq for a road course car.

I of course do not road course, so what I do probably can handle a lot more power since its just short bursts of acceleration, rather then none stop WOT abuse.

From your personal experience so far with the platform, what torque level do you feel is safe?

576 on your dyno is most likely around the 620-650wtq dynojet area. So thats getting up there!

Let me know your thoughts on that.

Thanks,
Tom
Sorry for my delay Tom- been busy building lots of turbo kits LOL doh!

yes you can run a little more- my safe limit is around 600 here- we have had cars on our dyno making more- from other tuners- but thats where I feel safe-

They haul *** man-

if you want to run her on the dyno let me know- ill take care of you on it!

cb
Old Apr 1, 2015, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
So 550whp GTR vs 550whp Evo...
Is Evo keeping up?

GTR shifts much faster, but carries a great deal more weight, maybe 600lb.

Mr.Fred has 2.0 with BBK-B that makes 530+whp on VD, on E85. Its a built 2.0 but it would probably let stock 2.0 survive for a while if the tune is careful with torque ramp.

Wonder if such an Evo can stay with GTR?

After the basic mods, GTR becomes super expensive build: motor & trans need to be built, and that is easily $25K.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 01:01 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by alpinaturbo
Is Evo keeping up?

Mr.Fred has 2.0 with BBK-B that makes 530+whp on VD, on E85. Its a built 2.0 but it would probably let stock 2.0 survive for a while if the tune is careful with torque ramp.

After the basic mods, GTR becomes super expensive build: motor & trans need to be built, and that is easily $25K.
The GTR's are super fast- hard to compete because of the curve and shift speed-

we have a bunch running around in the 600-650whp range with stock trans- pretty much the trans and stock block are limited at the same point-

you can do a trans build for around 5K and have most of what you need-

cb
Old Apr 1, 2015, 01:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From what I've seen no. The GTR trans more then makes up for the weight penalty. But serious the GTR costs 4 times the EVO. It SHOULD smack it. LOL. ITs my golden unicorn but the cost of maintenance makes it cost prohibitive to me.

Maybe one day.

More then likely not. I'll just admire from afar.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 02:33 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by smurfzilla
from what i've seen no. The gtr trans more then makes up for the weight penalty. But serious the gtr costs 4 times the evo. It should smack it. Lol. Its my golden unicorn but the cost of maintenance makes it cost prohibitive to me.

Maybe one day.

+1.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 03:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
Tom I know this is OT but I have no other way of contacting you, don't know if your PM box is full can you please PM me. Thanks
Old Apr 1, 2015, 04:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 312 Likes on 246 Posts
My 2009 makes 17psi by 3100rpm (500ft/lbs @ wheels) in 3rd gear. I went more aggressive on the intake timing at low rpm (34deg) to induce spool and then quickly tapered once onto boost. My mods are the same as yours except I run stock catted downpipes and stock muffler (modified pre muffler pipe).

Last edited by 240Z TwinTurbo; Apr 1, 2015 at 04:53 PM.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 04:54 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by CBRD
Sorry for my delay Tom- been busy building lots of turbo kits LOL doh!

yes you can run a little more- my safe limit is around 600 here- we have had cars on our dyno making more- from other tuners- but thats where I feel safe-

They haul *** man-

if you want to run her on the dyno let me know- ill take care of you on it!

cb
NP Chad. I know you stay very busy

That's a ton of power on your dyno. That gives me confidence then.

Ya I might have to bring it down once it starts getting nicer out. I haven't checked out the new shop yet in person. From the pics I seen it is 10x nicer & 10x bigger, which is pretty impressive in itself to top the old shop, because that one was very impressive as well.

Originally Posted by alpinaturbo
Is Evo keeping up?

550whp in a GT-R will go mid to low 10's consistently on 93oct & street tires.

The GT-R is an amazing machine. The transmission really changes the car.

If you have never driven in one, do it as soon as you can. You will see just how responsive the transmission really is.

Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
From what I've seen no. The GTR trans more then makes up for the weight penalty. But serious the GTR costs 4 times the EVO. It SHOULD smack it. LOL. ITs my golden unicorn but the cost of maintenance makes it cost prohibitive to me.

Maybe one day.

It really makes up for the weight yes. Its not that expensive to maintain actually. I been beating the crap out of mine and the only maintenance i did, was extra stuff I didnt have to do.

Did a TSB modification on the valvebody and changed the trans oil, and engine oil and filter.

Yes the oil in the trans isn't cheap, but the same type of oil thats ran in the GT-R is lifetime oil in other DCT boxes like the BMW.

Transmission failures used to be caused by to aggressive LC software. Now if you run newer LC software the chances of failure or breaking a gear is slim to none.

I would of had this car a long time ago, but reading all the trans issues had me running scared and not looking back.

Anything LC5+ will be very safe on the transmission.

Also it makes for a great daily driver. I have been daily driving mine lately. Its just as much a luxury car as it is a fun sports car.

I like this car as much as I like the evo, and i didn't think that was possible, but it is.

Most people think these cars drive themselves also. Turn off traction control once and you will see how it drives itself. This car behaves like its RWD with no assistance.

Originally Posted by ctfpevoVIII
Tom I know this is OT but I have no other way of contacting you, don't know if your PM box is full can you please PM me. Thanks
I will respond. I am still working on a lot of stuff. The reason I respond to my threads is because I get emails and i respond directly from email. Im not really browsing the forum when you see me responding. Im just clicking on the link directly from the inbox and going straight to the thread and replying.

Hope that makes sense.

Quick Reply: TSComptuned's 2009 GT-R with basic bolt ons