Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

TTP-Engineering new cam timing, dyno chart included

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2006, 10:39 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like you have an arguement for RNR which has nothing to do with cam settings.
Old May 8, 2006, 06:25 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yet he wants to try.........
guess it cant be all that bad
Old May 8, 2006, 06:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Yes, you got huge gains on the stock turbo with this method. Since you give no info and have not dyno'd, we can only assume that this trick had the same effect on your car.

Why do you want to talk about Chris's Evo? Are you saying it lacks spoolup and low end torque but then is fast on the top-end or what? This Evo has no spoolup, no torque and has a little top-end...about 600 less than Chris. It looks like a bad deal unless it's a drag-only Evo.
The settings are to do just that, give you better 1/4 mile runs. It takes all of ten minutes to change them back if you wish. Mine hits full boost at about 4k on the street and the idle is significantly improved with these settings. I drive on the highway 80% of the time, so it's never really an issue.
Old May 8, 2006, 06:35 AM
Evolving Member

^^^ i agree the idle is ten times better now really close to stock. i can have the ac on with no problems
Old May 8, 2006, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

So what is the setting? Also how much does it really help in the 1/4th?
Old May 8, 2006, 06:49 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sleet
So what is the setting? Also how much does it really help in the 1/4th?
sorry you will have to talk to scott about the settings, i have never ran my car but i can tell you it feels alot faster than it was.
Old May 8, 2006, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JonEvo
sorry you will have to talk to scott about the settings, i have never ran my car but i can tell you it feels alot faster than it was.
Was it intake only? Exhaust only? Both? I only got one gear right now that's why I ask..
Old May 8, 2006, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

JonEvo, you could possibly just look at your cam gears, then again it seems like you dont know much....

Scorke
Old May 8, 2006, 09:14 AM
Evolving Member

i know what the settings are
and yes i am still learning stuff i am sorry i am not a expert like you
Old May 8, 2006, 09:15 AM
Evolving Member

The settings are proprietary information. If you can't beat em, join em!!!
Old May 8, 2006, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow!! Nice numbers for hp, the only thing that concerns me is the loss of tq
Old May 8, 2006, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Since people here have stated a much better idle, I'm guessing the settings are just decreasing overlap by a lot (retarding intake/advancing exhaust). So, let's take an extreme case like I/E of -3/+3. And since there is a ton of top end and no low end, I'm guessing the settings are leaning towards the retarded side of both cams, so let's push both a few more degrees retarded to get like -5/+2 or -5/+1.

So, I would venture to guess something like -5, +2???

What do we get if we guess correctly?

Eric
Old May 8, 2006, 03:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by l2r99gst

What do we get if we guess correctly?

Eric
A lot less torque and a lot more horsepower!!! HAHA
Old May 8, 2006, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
Sounds like you have an arguement for RNR which has nothing to do with cam settings.
I have no argument for RNR. You can see the before-and-after clear as day. It spooled just fine and had plenty of torque before the change. AFter the change, it lost a HUGE amount of torque and spoolup just to gain 30-40whp over a short amount of RPM. Now, yes, this is great for drag racing, but you are making it sound like it's the fault of the 50-trim and not the cam settings when the only thing that changed was the cam settings. This isn't rocket science - it's plain as day on the dynograph.

Are you trying to say that on the stock turbo, you gain all that WHP with no loss in spool or torque? I guess we'd need to see a dynograph on a stock turbo with this cam gear change (before and after, of course).

SaOrlando, I didn't say it was bad. I said it's perfect for drag racing, and less than appealing for daily driving or any form of racing other than drag.

Gkania, you can just change your cam gears back without a retune? I wasn't aware of that...
Old May 8, 2006, 04:50 PM
Account Disabled

I have no argument for RNR. You can see the before-and-after clear as day. It spooled just fine and had plenty of torque before the change. AFter the change, it lost a HUGE amount of torque and spoolup just to gain 30-40whp over a short amount of RPM. Now, yes, this is great for drag racing, but you are making it sound like it's the fault of the 50-trim and not the cam settings when the only thing that changed was the cam settings.
It made 313whp on a 50trim. 3-1-3 with 272/272s! Granted that is more than you, it is far from a stellar accomplishment on a turbo of that size.

SaOrlando, I didn't say it was bad. I said it's perfect for drag racing, and less than appealing for daily driving or any form of racing other than drag.
A few facts I have noticed:
1.You have never driven a RNR 50trim or any other 50trim for that matter, yet appear to have all the facts on what the typical spoolup characteristics are of the aforementioned turbo.
2. You believe that the camshaft degree setting is less than appealing in any other application than drag racing based on a dynograph you have NOT compared to another comparably modded Evo with the same RNR 50trim turbo.
3. You cannot break into the 11's with sponsored cams, alky injection, two free clutches from Exedy, custom reflashes from a vendor here amongst various other perks such as exhaust products yet are the end all in drag racing, POWER STAGES and tuning advice? Please .

What I can tell you is our signature represents what we have accomplished and based on the facts, E.T.'s and trapspeeds, you should be the one taking our advice not the other way around. When you finally hit 11's, come back and post your expert thoughts on how to go fast and create power. By that time we will be running 10's @ 128+ on the stock turbo using parts we purchased, not handouts from other vendors.

Quick Reply: TTP-Engineering new cam timing, dyno chart included