Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

TTP-Engineering new cam timing, dyno chart included

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2006, 07:39 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by matt55
. . . i have never seen/read where advancing the intake cam would make more hp at that 7000rpms .
It doesn't. Advancing the intake cam generally boosts midrange torque and quickens spool time. Retarding the intake cam generally shifts efficiency higher in the rpm range.

MIVEC advances the intake cam in lower rpm ranges to broaden the torque curve.
Old May 10, 2006, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
Neither my car or the car that was tested has MIVEC so we'll leave that for another thread.
I was just trying to get a handle on what in the h3ll your doing to gain masive topend and lose bottom end . Iam thinking its retarding the intake cam gear and i was trying to use the IX's ablity to change cam timing to draw a comparesion of how much you could have gone befor hitting the piston . But i guess mum's the word .

So if i buy a cam or cams (280's) from yall would some gear info come with the purchase ???
Old May 10, 2006, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
it was already said... flat out... they retard the intake cam, this keeps the intake valve open for longer. this decreases spool time cuz the injested air can make its way back out again at lower rpms but at high rpms it allow the cylinder to injest more air.

the straight up settings or the more traditional 'torque' settings on cam gears likely maximize blow down or minimize the exhaust gas pressure that is working against hte cylinder coming up, but probably can only effectively do so for the bulk of the rpms and fail to do well in the high rpms. which is why the horsepower is there to be made.

however saying this or pointing this out makes me want to stick my foot in my mouth because maximizing blow down or minimizing the counter exhaust work is not the same as maximizing the ram air effect. the subtleties inbetween really have to be discussed elsewhere. and i suggest ted b make a thread about it in the advanced section!

Last edited by trinydex; May 10, 2006 at 09:03 AM.
Old May 10, 2006, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can this new cam timing help somebody running HKS 264s? If so, how can I acquire this info? Do you need a retune? It would be interesting to run this set-up on back to back runs at the dragstrip.