Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Fidanza short-shifter (Evo VIII/IX)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2008, 03:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Fidanza short-shifter (Evo VIII/IX)

First of all, thanks to Scheides for opening up his garage for me to work on my car and lending a hand with the install.

Great price, good quality, PITA install, and they really need to include install instructions! All said and done the shifter feels great, but the installation didn't exactly go smoothly. I got the kit on sale from Modern Automotive Performance for $59 which I think is a great deal since thats $20 off their regular price.

http://www.maperformance.com/store/p...cat=977&page=1

The kit included aluminum shifter base bushings which were very good quality and fit perfect. The kit also included 2 new white plastic bushings for the ***** that attach to the shift cables, but they were really poor quality (one cracked, one wouldn't fit) so I highly recommend reusing the stock ones (used a flathead screw driver to pry them off the stock shifter). I also had to buy a new upper pivot ball bushing from the Mitsu dealership for $14 since I didn't want to cut my stock shifter in half. I used heavy-duty marine grease on the pivot ball and the the shift cable *****.

The short-shifter comes with a removable counter-weight which was nice and really helps the shifts feel very smooth. The pivot ball is adjustable and has 2 settings. On the less aggressive setting the shifts are a bit shorter and the knob sits higher than stock (I was not impressed with this setting). I tried the less aggressive setting first because the more aggressive setting can not be used unless you hack up the plastic shifter base some which I did not want to do. I almost pulled the shifter out and returned to stock but I decided to stop being a ***** and just "clearance" the shifter base with a RotoZip. Fast forward a bit after everything was clearanced (with plastic chips and shavings all over the interior of my car and wreaking of burnt plastic) the shifter feels great on the aggressive setting. I am closer to my goal of getting my shifter to feel like the one in my S2000 (stock shifter w/countersunk knob). The shifts are now tight and precise. The throws are definitely shorter and the knob sits a bit lower than stock, but I can still shift with a 20oz bottle in the cup holder.

Last edited by Kracka; Apr 27, 2008 at 03:47 PM.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 09:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looks and sounds like a PITA
Old Apr 29, 2008, 04:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hytek369
looks and sounds like a PITA
Yup you are correct. All said and done though I'm very happy with how it feel.
Old Jun 8, 2008, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

I just want to add that the Fidanza short-shifter is the exact same as the B&M and the eBay brands. They sell on eBay for $29 shipped with the shifter base bushings so its an insane deal!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/00-05...spagenameZWDVW

When you buy any of these shifters I recomend buying the follow from your Mitsu dealership:
1x Upper pivot cup (part # MR246296 Retainer+gearshif)
2x part # MR232147 tiny cups for ball ends

Last edited by Kracka; Jun 8, 2008 at 09:53 AM.
Old Jun 8, 2008, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

I helped Scheides install his eBay shifter yesterday and since we already had done mine and knew what we were doing it took under 30 mins start to finish including removal/reinstallation of the stock interior parts and the cutting on the shifter base.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 05:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by S2kracka
I helped Scheides install his eBay shifter yesterday and since we already had done mine and knew what we were doing it took under 30 mins start to finish including removal/reinstallation of the stock interior parts and the cutting on the shifter base.
saw his review. looks good.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 312 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by Kracka
When you buy any of these shifters I recomend buying the follow from your Mitsu dealership:
1x Upper pivot cup (part # MR246296 Retainer+gearshif)
2x part # MR232147 tiny cups for ball ends
Good point to make. The small cups supplied did not fit so I popped off the cups from my stock shifter and placed on the new shifter so this was no big deal. You have no way to remove the Upper Pivot Cup from the stock shifter unless you cut the shifter in half. Because I did not order any of the parts I scrapped my stock shifter to use the Upper Pivot Cup.