Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Tamer @ 4ws tuning - Tuning review

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2010, 05:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Tamer @ 4ws tuning - Tuning review

Hi evo m,

My name is Sobo and I live up in the Buffalo, NY area.

My cars background:
I own a 2003 evo 8 gsr. It has the following mods:
Ported IX turbo w/ FP 25psi Actuator
Ported Mani
RC 1000's (New versions)
HKS dli 2
Buschur FMIC
Buschur IC Piping
Forge RS dv
Buschur Intake
BC 272's (Gay)
Full TB exhaust
QTP Open Dump
ARP head studs

I recently decided to have my Evo re-tuned. My car was running worse and worse as the weather got poorer, and It always had some quirks to begin with. I had bad hesitation (almost like I hit a wall) and bucking issues at low RPM boosting, in addition to pretty rough idle at times and high idle start ups. During a cold start the car would run like complete *** until it was 100% warm. It also came to my attention the previous tuner never quite got to scale the injectors properly.

Now, I'm not bashing Klemann. He has tuned a couple of my friends cars and they are all good running machines. Klemann and the previous owner of my car had a break down in communications and therefore the tune was not 100% finished.

I had a various amount of options. My car was originally Klemann tuned, I could have turned to him to have it finished or I also have STM in my back yard pretty much and I could have made the drive to have them tune my car.

After much debate and research I decided against Klemann (The original tune was incomplete from him anyhow) and also STM (I've read emery does not like the stock ECU very much...) STM also has a dyno on premises but I was leaning towards a street tune because I really wanted to smooth out the drivability as best as possible which I knew would require more time that a few hours on a dyno.

So, after reading through various reviews and getting personal advice, I settled on 4ws tuning.

I contacted Tamer through PM here and received a prompt response within the hour and we went from there.

Me and Tamer chatted for about a week before I made the decision to pull the trigger and have my car re-tuned. He seemed very knowledgeable off the bat and was not reluctant to answer any questions I had.

Pretty much we decided on this:

-Upgrade to Tephra v7
-Start from scratch, re-scalling injectors
-Change from MBC to boost by ECU
-Wide band hardwire into ECU.

The total cost for this was $250 (Not including the money I spent on parts), something I thought was very fair.

Process + progress:

To start off with, I wired my AEM wideband into my ECU. I'm a complete noob and Tamer helped me every step of the way, whether that was via text or email. He was very quick and helpful throughout the process.

After I got that set up, Tamer shot me a base tune and we started logging the idle and figuring out the fuel trim. Then I started street logging after a few changes to the tune.

Eventually within 2-3 days of pretty vigorous logging we got the fuel trims exactly where we wanted them.

Then I ordered a Grimmspeed 3 port and OMNI 4BAR map sensor from Tamer which I received in 2 business days. I installed them promptly using Tamers explicit instructions (headache free!).

This is worthy of note: Yesterday was Tamer's bithday (Happy birthday again bro! ) and he found enough time to get my first couple of WOT pulls done. After about 3 WOT pulls, we decided to call it quits and to let the man celebrate.

As of now, we have got the ECU boost control squared away and as of right now we just have a day or so more of WOT and boost logging to do to get it 100%

This portion of review is to be continued...

So to sum my experience up so far:

Tamer is an excellent guy to work with. He is very knowledgeable, patient, professional (But also humorous and fun to work with), prompt in his response, doesn't mind spelling things out for evo noobs(Like myself!) and he really has brought out some very positive results in my car.My car has never idled so nicely, driven so nicely in open and closed loop, or got better gas mileage. The butt dyno feels good in this car so far, and it's not quite finished yet!

I will bring you some updates when we are 100% finished. But I am extremely satisfied and I feel confident in saying I completely trust my car in Tamers hands.

Last edited by sobo; Sep 21, 2010 at 05:21 PM.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 07:38 PM
Evolving Member

dude. i hear you word for word.. i am very glad I chose my first tuning experience with Tamer and 4WS Tuning.. he had to put up with all my newby bs.. he's the man..
Old Sep 29, 2010, 08:00 PM
Evolving Member

Full tune done.

This thing rips! I have a ton more top end than I did on the last tune, with the same powerband below the curve.

This thing idles perfect, gets great gas mileage and excellent driveability. Easily the best $250 I've ever spent on a car.

Tamer is the man.

Definitely has my loyalty.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 08:09 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Glad to hear! Congrats on the new found power!

-Em
Old Sep 29, 2010, 08:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EmeryatSTM
Glad to hear! Congrats on the new found power!

-Em
Thanks for the support bud.

I'll be sure to hit you up when I decide it's time for serious business haha. I'd like to push my stock ecu to it's limit but you'll be the first to know when I pull the trigger on the AEM. I got some serious thinking to do one what route I wanna take with the car this winter...

Also *To evoM*: I'd like to correct myself from earlier by saying emery @ stm does not like tuning the stock ecu. Emery has a ton of experience tuning stock ecu's and after having a nice visit to his shop I quickly realized I was mislead originally.

Regardless.

I had an excellent experience with Tamer @ 4ws. Not to start a **** show but I was pleased with my results and I think he is a great dude to work with.

The only thing I did not like was the communication block that is inevitable that comes with email tuning. It was a pain sometimes, but other than that small fact I have no complaints.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 09:04 PM
Evolving Member

Yep, Tamer is the man! Would you like your review added to the official 4WS website? I can also add you to the customer gallery if you'd like.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 09:06 PM
Evolving Member

tamer tunes ftw..

my car drives perfect also.. now if i could only fix my pos ecu/obd2 issue so he can finish my tune =-p
Old Sep 30, 2010, 05:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Poppin in to show some 4WS love.

You rock T.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 06:58 AM
Evolving Member

Feel free to add my review to the website.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 09:17 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by sobo
After much debate and research I decided against Klemann ...)
I live near you in Rochester. I've had my Evo for 4 years, I'm involved in the Evo community, and I'd never heard of Klemann until I read your post.

Last edited by FJF; Sep 30, 2010 at 09:20 AM.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll start my tune with Tamer hopefully next week, as soon as I can borrow a friends tactrix cable
Old Oct 1, 2010, 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

do you have any before/after results? I'm curious to see your power curve and how much boost you're running.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 08:14 AM
Evolving Member

tamer is the man
doing a retune courrently on my new JAM 2.3 stroker and stg II JAM head
e85 and stock 10.5 hotside
ill post the comparison when we're done!!
Old Oct 2, 2010, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ive done 2 tunes (stock turbo and now my new bbk and 950cc injectors) through tamer so far. I recommend him to all my friends. Going to upgrade to Cams this summer of 2011...take a guess who im going through lol