Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

2011 AMSOIL Ongoing Track Review - 929's Evo

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2011, 02:14 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Can't tell you how much I love your car! lol

Trans is currently together and being installed as we speak. Devin will contact you tomorrow with an update.

Thanks again for contacting Boostin Performance to address your trans needs, and let us know what else we can do to further assist you. Can't wait for updates on your next event, so keep us posted!!

Kristin
Old Jun 22, 2011, 02:20 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
looks good Nathan, for that much track time and for how hard you drive the car, not a bad deal to have a little 5th gear grind
Old Jun 23, 2011, 05:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Boostin Perform
Can't tell you how much I love your car! lol

Trans is currently together and being installed as we speak. Devin will contact you tomorrow with an update.

Thanks again for contacting Boostin Performance to address your trans needs, and let us know what else we can do to further assist you. Can't wait for updates on your next event, so keep us posted!!

Kristin
That's great news.

And for everyone else, in addition to some maintenance on some of the wear items in the trans, Boostin Performance is also helping me switch up the gearing a bit. This is something I've been wanting to do forever (years) and this was obviously the time to do it.

So, with the help of some altered gear ratios, we should also see less of the high high 7500+ rpms revs that we've delved deep into this year. That, in turn, should help bring the oil temps back down into check.

I'll keep everyone posted as a busy July pulls near...
Old Jul 5, 2011, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

I posted a nice mid-season update that is worth checking out here:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/au...on-update.html

As for the engine oil, I finally changed it last week. I had 3 weekend events on it; 6 days total. The first 2 weekends were rain-shortened so I decided to extend it to 3 weekends and then send it in for analysis. I should have the results later this week and I'll be posting them up here for ALL to see!
Old Jul 5, 2011, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by boomn29
Oil Cooler - OEM. An upgraded unit is definitely on the table.

Radiator - running a slightly larger unit from Mishimoto. Running a mix is distilled water and redline water wetter

You got a nice car .

And I really like your write-ups and event re-caps that you do.

Have you used Royal Purple water additive before?

http://www.royalpurple.com/radiator-additive.html

I like it alot better than the Red Line water wetter.

But I am a big user of Red Line MT90 & MTL oils.

And I also use the Amsoil Dominator 15-50w & Nano filter for my engine.

It is funny how we use different products in the car from different vendors .

But years of experience of using what works best is what counts .

Good luck on your new updates.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 04AWDTURBOEVO
You got a nice car .

And I really like your write-ups and event re-caps that you do.

Have you used Royal Purple water additive before?

http://www.royalpurple.com/radiator-additive.html

I like it alot better than the Red Line water wetter.

Good luck on your new updates.
No I haven't tried it. I hear that AMSoil has a version of there own that I will probably give a shot.

I don't have a fancy upgraded water temp gauge on the car though, so it's hard to say what works and what works better. I've just got the stock gauge. I do know that works though, as a few years ago I had a cracked head gasket (don't get a Forge UNOS MBC) and the temp gauge would move quick!

And thx alot for the comments! Hopefully I'm helping somebody...
Old Jul 6, 2011, 01:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The writeups are awesome boomn29 so thanks again! I became an Amsoil dealer and
use nothing but dominator oil and driveline fluids in my car. And do you or anyone else have more experience with the water wetter or other stuff like it? I've never heard of it until now and I'm wondering if it's worth using in a daily driver or your typical "spirited driving" Evo enthusiast?

Aaron
Old Jul 7, 2011, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rEVOlution04
The writeups are awesome boomn29 so thanks again! I became an Amsoil dealer and
use nothing but dominator oil and driveline fluids in my car. And do you or anyone else have more experience with the water wetter or other stuff like it? I've never heard of it until now and I'm wondering if it's worth using in a daily driver or your typical "spirited driving" Evo enthusiast?

Aaron
Hey thanks - really!

I'm not sure it's something needed in a DD type vehicle. I would hope there would be enough cooling going on in the vehicle that it would not be needed.

With that being said; I'm sure you could use it. And if you're in an area that never gets below freezing (where you'd have to drain in the winter); why not.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 12:02 PM
Evolving Member

I DD my evo - and temps never cross 196 (fan kick on at 192 i believe). That being said, EVERY track day i was having temps zip way up to 210-215 region, necessitating a easy lap to bring it back down. So if you do any amount of tracking, it might be something useful.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 04:02 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the input guys! I'm always in search of ways to make my car as efficient as possible so I always wonder when stuff like this comes up. Same thing with heat wrapping and temp coatings. I guess I'll just have to keep it in mind of I ever track my car!
Old Jul 11, 2011, 06:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by asininedervish
I DD my evo - and temps never cross 196 (fan kick on at 192 i believe). That being said, EVERY track day i was having temps zip way up to 210-215 region, necessitating a easy lap to bring it back down. So if you do any amount of tracking, it might be something useful.
Just some aggressive backroad driving or interstate pulls and my temps would jump to 215!
Old Jul 11, 2011, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Just some aggressive backroad driving or interstate pulls and my temps would jump to 215!
Same here. I wonder where his oil temp sensor is located.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

That's great news.

And for everyone else, in addition to some maintenance on some of the wear items in the trans, Boostin Performance is also helping me switch up the gearing a bit. This is something I've been wanting to do forever (years) and this was obviously the time to do it.

So, with the help of some altered gear ratios, we should also see less of the high high 7500+ rpms revs that we've delved deep into this year. That, in turn, should help bring the oil temps back down into check.

I'll keep everyone posted as a busy July pulls near...
Had the car out this past weekend at the track with the new gearing. Car felt good, I think it's a little pokier now when I shift to 4th; although it might just be in my head.

On the plusside, given the longer 4th, I wasn't forced to rev it so high. However, the oil temps were still high. I seen close to 280 again in just the 2nd session.

I got my earlier oil analysis report back. I'll get that posted up later and explain our next approach!
Old Jul 13, 2011, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Had the car out this past weekend at the track with the new gearing. Car felt good, I think it's a little pokier now when I shift to 4th; although it might just be in my head.

On the plusside, given the longer 4th, I wasn't forced to rev it so high. However, the oil temps were still high. I seen close to 280 again in just the 2nd session.

I got my earlier oil analysis report back. I'll get that posted up later and explain our next approach!
good to hear - did you go with the standard evo8 3 and 4 or something more personalized for your needs
Old Jul 13, 2011, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kyoo
good to hear - did you go with the standard evo8 3 and 4 or something more personalized for your needs
I took just the longer Evo VIII 4th. The 3rd gears are so similar; like 2mph difference I just saved my money there.

Car has about 360whp; stock turbo tuned on 100oct.

Quick Reply: 2011 AMSOIL Ongoing Track Review - 929's Evo