Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

New Quartermaster Street/Strip Clutch Is Out!!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2011, 09:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post New Quartermaster Street/Strip Clutch Is Out!!

So I was given the opportunity to test out the worlds first (Street/Strip) twindisc prototype clutch from Quartermaster with help of Strictly Modified. I knew I was going to need a stronger clutch but dident want a clutch I was going to dislike driving on a daily basis. I'd like start off by saying it is unlike other Quartermaster clutches out there. Quartermaster can be known for their race oriented, stiff rough engagement clutches. QM wanted to fix that, by making a clutch designed for the street as well as the strip. Thus making a street/strip clutch able to be friendly while still keeping thier well known performance intact.

The new twin disc clutch comes with a newly designed street friendly flywheel and incorporates the race version discs which we all know hold some major power. Will be able to hold over 500ft Tq without a issue. These discs have already been proven to make mid to low 9sec passes Also included is their hydrolic tob.

Picture of the Street/Strip clutch:

Driving on the street is similar to my old Exedy twin hd, except I like the engagement a lot better. Crisp grabby shifts make you know that your power is being put to the ground! Another plus about this clutch is that its not like a on/off switch and does not make driving seem like a task, like the older version QM clutches. This is a great all around clutch, easy enough to daily drive in traffic and perfect for aggressive driving

So I decided to go the the track one night to see how the clutch help up to some drag abuse. I already knew it was wicked on the street so lets just say I was anxious to make a pass down the track !! I was able to manage my best time from the year previous of a 11.1 @125 FIRST TIME OUT! Roasting my nittos through 1st gear. (Car was set up exactly the same with no changes.) I really wasent expecting to make that good of a pass I just went to test out the clutch. It held up flawlessly and the shifts at high rpm went in smooth! I was very satisfied with the outcome of the night!

Heres a vid of the pass: (click me)

A lot of people are tossed up about which clutch to get. They are afraid that you will sacrifice driveability for performance. This is not the case with this clutch its the best of both worlds!! .

Overall I am very pleased with this clutch and hope this sheds some light on QM and thier attempts to help support the Evo community with new and improved products. I believe this is going to be a very popular clutch, very shortly.

Last edited by AngryEvo8; Aug 7, 2011 at 09:23 PM.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 10:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
whats it like driving on a hydraulic throw out bearing? can you tell its different then the normal pull type?

any idea on the weight of the clutch set-up?
Old Aug 8, 2011, 06:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if my exedy tripple does not work out this is what i will be switching to.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoJoeIX
whats it like driving on a hydraulic throw out bearing? can you tell its different then the normal pull type?

any idea on the weight of the clutch set-up?
Difference is not really noticeable. I do like the fact there is no retaining clip that can pop off and ruin your day As far as the weight is concerned im waiting to hear back from QM about that as well some other specs. I was pretty much told to beat the crap outta it and see how it holds up
Old Aug 8, 2011, 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mrboost05
if my exedy tripple does not work out this is what i will be switching to.
Good to hear! This is perfect for guys just over the exedy twins power range and still wanna maintain a streetable clutch. That's why I switched because I knew if I dident my clutch wasent going to like me.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 08:29 AM
Evolving Member

Whats the price?
Old Aug 8, 2011, 08:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the review. I'll be picking up one of these bad boys when my stocker bites the dust.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 10:40 AM
Former Sponsor

Excellent review AngryEvo8, I'm sure QM will be glad to hear you are happy with the clutch. Guys as for pricing on this clutch pm us and we will get back to you asap. Thanks!

-Cisco
Old Aug 10, 2011, 10:37 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
How noisy is it?
Old Aug 10, 2011, 10:40 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred
How noisy is it?
Yes, in car vids would be nice to hear the noise level.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mrfred
how noisy is it?
+1
Old Aug 10, 2011, 04:22 PM
Evolving Member

How high are u revving it to?
Old Aug 11, 2011, 05:02 AM
Evolved Member

Noise is just like any other twin discs upon pressing the clutch in. No dieing seal noise during initial take off. It will chirp going into gears. Will try and get a in car and out of car video tonight.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 05:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Boost_Inspired
How high are u revving it to?
Revd to 8500.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 06:34 AM
Evolved Member

Having driven angryEvo's car, I would say the clattering noise just idling with the clutch in is significantly reduced over the old QM, about as quiet as the exedy twin. Inside the car, the sound isn't really noticeable over an aftermarket exhaust. It squeaks a little while slipping, though. The push style TOB isn't really different over pull-style, maybe a little smoother but nothing crazy.

Subjectively, I liked it better than the exedy twin in my car. I didn't shift it fast, or race it, but in normal driving, the shifting was smoother. The discs are probably quite a bit lighter than the exedy discs. Personally, I'd like a clutch that's a little more grabby off the line. (personal preference) However, for normal people it's probably perfect. Based on my experience, I'd recommend it to anybody in the market for a clutch who's trying to go fast.

Quick Reply: New Quartermaster Street/Strip Clutch Is Out!!