Notices
Vishnu Performance - California [Visit Site]

Has Vishnu Performance tuned any HKS 274 int / 264 exh cars?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2004, 06:00 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Is there any differnece with regards to spirited driving, 4k mid throttle to full throttle applications?

AS you know, there is a lot of crap posted on these boards, this 272in/264ex combo "is supposed to net a greater mid range" or so people have said? In your opinion, Is this true or not when comparing your current set-up to 264/264 or 264/272 cam combo's?

Thanks again for this awesome info.
Old Aug 26, 2004, 06:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
It prob has to do with how you dial in the cams.
Old Aug 26, 2004, 06:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
O.k., I did the 272's last week and I set the cam gears to -3/-3. What will happen when I change it to another setting like -4/-1, will I loose power, gain power, or is it bad play around with the settings.
Old Aug 26, 2004, 06:37 PM
ob4
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lambtron@vishnu
So we just did a few runs on the dyno with my car...

272 in 264 ex
Baseline Stage 1+ map (XFlash)

-Power output was 271 (Cold)
-Consistently 263-265 on the next few runs
-No tuning was done, I'm still running the baseline stage 1+ map

Conclusion: idles like stock, makes same power as the other hks cam setups.

That's pretty much what i got...but I have the 264in/272ex on 91oct custom tuned xflash. I suspect that the extra duration on 272 only makes small hi rpm gains on the stock turbo.

-ob4
Old Aug 26, 2004, 09:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by WOT
Is there any differnece with regards to spirited driving, 4k mid throttle to full throttle applications?

AS you know, there is a lot of crap posted on these boards, this 272in/264ex combo "is supposed to net a greater mid range" or so people have said? In your opinion, Is this true or not when comparing your current set-up to 264/264 or 264/272 cam combo's?

Thanks again for this awesome info.
My opinion? It's untrue. We've tested all the diff. combos of HKS cams, and they all make the same power in the same place, with a few cars making a bit more than "normal." I compared hp and tq numbers of other 1+ cars to mine at different points on the graph and they were identical. Made peak torque and peak hp at the same places, etc. I'll double check tomorrow again to see if I missed any gains in the midrange; if there were any, they weren't significant enough for me to notice. Personally, I think now it just comes down to two things: 1) availability of the diff. combos and 2) How agressive of an idle one wants. I get a lot of customers calling me about cams, worrying about idling issues, so I think I've found the setup I'll reccommend for them Then there are also the ones like Chris who can't get away from their muscle car days and need that lumpier, more aggressive idle to satisfy their needs, haha.
Old Aug 27, 2004, 10:15 AM

Time for you guys to get some real cams, get some Pipers, Jun & Tomei. Stop messing around with these weak HKS cams.

Brain, you had better make sure you list your intake temperature, don't want to start another riot!
Old Aug 27, 2004, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I doubt that any cam will make a big difference over the HKS cams. The stock turbo is the bottleneck, not the cams. At least once you get rid of the stock cams, that is.
Old Aug 27, 2004, 12:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Buzzard
Time for you guys to get some real cams, get some Pipers, Jun & Tomei. Stop messing around with these weak HKS cams.

Brain, you had better make sure you list your intake temperature, don't want to start another riot!
EXCUSE ME?! My name is BRIAN. I ought to have you banned! I've seen a 1+ tomei cam car, and I was not impressed, HKS still did way better. Haven't seein jun or piper yet though. One of our local fellas picked up some pipers and he'll be in here in the near future to have those installed, so I guess we'll see then
Old Aug 28, 2004, 09:59 AM

EXCUSE ME?! My name is BRIAN. I ought to have you banned! I've seen a 1+ tomei cam car, and I was not impressed, HKS still did way better. Haven't seein jun or piper yet though. One of our local fellas picked up some pipers and he'll be in here in the near future to have those installed, so I guess we'll see then
Oops, my bad, we all know that you don't have one of those!
Old Aug 30, 2004, 05:54 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I get a lot of customers calling me about cams, worrying about idling issues, so I think I've found the setup I'll reccommend for them
Thanks for the write-up!

So to recap & please correct me if i am wrong....being on evom, that wont be a problem!!

264 In / 272 Ex vs 272 In / Ex 264 generate similar power curves & have similar drivability characteristics.

272 In / 264 Ex has the smoothest idle between the 2 combos.

could you post your dyno sheet?

did you do any tuning to cater to either set-up? cam timing, ig, etc?
Old Aug 30, 2004, 06:47 PM
MR
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Noize
As I've been asked to not respond to you in anger, I'll show you some data to look at.

264/272 custom tuned: http://www.dyno4mance.com/tuning/you..._Pages/111.php

272/272 custom tuned on the exact same day: http://www.dyno4mance.com/tuning/you..._Pages/104.php

These cars have identical mods except for the 272 intake cam on the bottom car. Interesting that it doesn't follow the standard rules, huh? The AMS test you provided is a neat tool to look at, but hardly unilateral proof.

Oh, and for fun, here's a Cobra for you on the same type of dyno...
http://www.ktrperformance.com/servic..._SVT_coupe.htm

This car has a chip and a cat-back only. These mods cost this guy a whooping $1100.

IMO, an actual data pool (like our Spring dyno day highlighted above) outstrips only gleaning information from the internet. Keep reading up on Evos and good luck with your mod path.
Hey dude,

From your dyno datasheet, it seems that the 264i/272e is a better setup than the 272/272...

ANy cam gears setting involved?
Old Aug 30, 2004, 07:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by WOT
Thanks for the write-up!

So to recap & please correct me if i am wrong....being on evom, that wont be a problem!!

264 In / 272 Ex vs 272 In / Ex 264 generate similar power curves & have similar drivability characteristics.

272 In / 264 Ex has the smoothest idle between the 2 combos.

could you post your dyno sheet?

did you do any tuning to cater to either set-up? cam timing, ig, etc?

No tuning was done. All I did was install the cams, set the gears to -2/-2, shiv flashed my car with the baseline 1+ map and that's that
Old Aug 30, 2004, 09:03 PM
Evolved Member

No tuning was done. All I did was install the cams, set the gears to -2/-2, shiv flashed my car with the baseline 1+ map and that's that

Shoemaker's children.......
Old Dec 25, 2004, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

So are cam gears required with the 272/264 setup or can I run them with the stock gears ?
Old Dec 27, 2004, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

youre gonna need new camgears for this set up to get the maximun output of it.