Notices
Water / Methanol Injection / Nitrous Oxide

Aquamist HFS-5 system: Official Q&A...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2007, 09:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The piston pump (Aquamist race pump) will work extremely well within its working range. On installs where more fluid is needed, a priming pump can be added so as to increase it's capabilities. The race pump was designed from the start with automotive W/A in mind.....its a fantastic pump.

Price due to the exchange rate make the inclusion of this this pump within kits sold in the US cost prohibitive for some people. Also, some users need more flow and the Aquamist/Shurflo pump meets this need without designing another variation of the race pump with a higher output....that most users will not purchase due to cost.

Also, its not the size of the engine (2.0 or 7.0) that dictates W/A pump capabilities, its the flow requirements of the W/A injection system. Theres many small engines with a higher output and have higher fuel system demands then a larger engine. In other words you can have a somewhat tame 7.0 engine with a fuel system demand lower then an a highly strung 2.0.........on a modded Rx7 for example (small motor) look at some of the fuel setups.......you would be very surprised at what you find.
Old Mar 4, 2007, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

I see what your are saying. If cost was not a factor would you use the race pump on a 500WHP Evo? Also I will be using 100% Meth. What pump would you recommend for my Evo?

PS I know some 3 rotor RX7s can use some fuel!
Old Mar 4, 2007, 12:06 PM
Evolving Member

Sounds like the Aquamist/Shurflo will work well for this. 100% methanol being used dictates a lot of flow needed. I have seen two Aquamist race pumps being used but you would be spending above $1000.00 just for those.
Old Mar 4, 2007, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

Sound like the Shurflo is the way to go.

Im sure you have heard of Alkycontrols system. I was talking with Juilo a while back he has a costomer that replaces the pump every year just for safety reasons. I have a Shurflow on one of my buddys Turbocharged Truck...after about 14 months the pump started to leak. Is the Aquamist/Shurflo fully equiped to handle 100% meth. Some people say to run lubricant in the meth to keep the system happy. Do you guys recommed this?
Old Mar 4, 2007, 02:10 PM
Former Sponsor

Do you mind asking your friend which part of the pump started to leak?

I work very closely with Shurflo and I will pose the question to them. As far as I know, all wetted parts are methanol compatible. We have not tested the pump for 14 months - would like to look into this with information from your friend.

There is a difference between our pump and Alky's. We run a constant 125psi pressure rather ramp it up to 150psi. We don't use a demand switch. I have heard story about the source of leaks is near the demand switch?
Old Mar 4, 2007, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

It leaks at the head area of the pump close to the fittings (I think). Im not sure of the exact spot, but I can find out. I bought the kit for my Turbocharged V6 Camaro. I used the kit for a while. Then we took it off and put it on his truck. I know the Shuflo pump can move alot of alky. We have the "Gain" set to about 20%...and thats about the 8 O'clock position.

Here is a shot of the Truck 2005 Chevy Colorado 3.5L I5. With a Precision SC61. 7~10 psi.

Old Mar 4, 2007, 03:14 PM
Former Sponsor

Neat setup !

Thanks for some clue regarding the leak. I notice from the picture above that the fitting are sealed with some white tape (ptfe?). I wonder if the source of leak is from this area? I rather wait for your close examination.

I know a little bit about the system, manifold pressure determines the pump speed. Higher pump speed = higher meth pressure= higher flow.

This type of system is very cost effective - works very well within a narrow operating range.
Old Mar 4, 2007, 04:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I can confirm the demand switch is a major problem with leaks. The 3 bolt cap was only designed for 60psi.
Old Mar 4, 2007, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

methanol has unique property of :
-very low surface tension, 20 dyne/cm compared to water, 70dyne/cm
-very low viscosity, 0.05cps compared to waters, 0.89cps

those who has used/poured methanol will notice that it is very "splashy", you can almost never get everything to go into the container...

metal fittings with teflon tape is a no no. the teflon makes the metal fitting real slippery and you could over tighten and cause the nylon housing to split. If not tighten enough, it leaks due to the fluid nature of the liquid - most noticible on the high pressure side.

metal fittings with O ring seals are the best for methanol applications. The compliant O ring seals well between the polymer pump head and the metal fitting with minimum stress created on the nylon pump head.

there is also anaerobic pipe dope - which are a mess to use and risk getting into the pump and causing problems.
Old Mar 4, 2007, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

Good info SlowCar.When I got the kit all of the metal fitting were pr-wraped with teflon. The O-ring deal sounds way better. I called my buddy he said the pump is leaking from the head.
Old Mar 6, 2007, 03:10 PM
Evolving Member

Richard

The FIA2 reads the fuel injector duty cycle and this provides information about RPM and load but what if I have changed my injectors, I have 880 injectors so the duty cycle (pulse width) would be very different.

What effect will this have, or what should I do when setting up my HFS?

Duncan
PS I got my system last night!!!!!
Old Mar 6, 2007, 03:29 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by kduncan01
Richard

The FIA2 reads the fuel injector duty cycle and this provides information about RPM and load but what if I have changed my injectors, I have 880 injectors so the duty cycle (pulse width) would be very different.

What effect will this have, or what should I do when setting up my HFS?

Duncan
PS I got my system last night!!!!!
You can change the water jet to suit. The kit comes with three jets, y-piece. You have quite a choice of flow options.
Old Mar 6, 2007, 03:32 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
I can confirm the demand switch is a major problem with leaks. The 3 bolt cap was only designed for 60psi.
Thanks for the confirmation. I wonder if the same will happen without the demand switch in 14 months time.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

Richard, I just ordered my system, but had a question.
Does the system come with everything I need to trunk mount it or do I need a primer pump?
BTW, the link you sent me to get the manual didn't work.
thanks
Old Mar 20, 2007, 05:20 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by AlohaEvo
Richard, I just ordered my system, but had a question.
Does the system come with everything I need to trunk mount it or do I need a primer pump?
BTW, the link you sent me to get the manual didn't work.
thanks
The HFS-5 is designed for trunk mounted. It comes with 18 ft of hose. All you need is a kitchen sink, sorry I meant water tank. - everything else is included.

I will pm you another link.

Quick Reply: Aquamist HFS-5 system: Official Q&A...