Notices
Water / Methanol Injection / Nitrous Oxide

Aquamist HFS-5 system: Official Q&A...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2007, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Richard I have my new HSF5 installed and run like designed already.

Mine is set up to limit boost when there is a fault. As long as there is water I have 20 psi. I have the stock ecu set to 12.3 AFR or so at high boost, and below is at the normal spool up ratio.
Sometimes i forget to turn on the DDS3 and am limited to 12 psi, press the button and wammo.

Was very happy with the results this last weekend at the track.

in my case a electronic boost controller is triggered by the dds3 to allow high pressure.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 03:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dudical26, sounds like a toggle switch could be put in between the connections.

When turning on WI switch toggle to OFF = DDS3 will allow for raised boost when DDS3 sees safe W/A parameters are met. Boost will be dumped if after/during W/A activation DDS3 sees a failure parameter.

When you would like raise boost but NOT have W/A injection functioning, switch toggle switch to ON = DDS3 is not blocking effecting boost control.

BAD thing with this is having DDS3/W/A activated AND the toggle switch set to the ON position. You might want to wire in an LED that gets lit with toggle switch is in the ON position so that you know that DDS3 will NOT be taking an action to dump/limit boost on W/A failure.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 07:13 PM
Evolved Member

That is how I was planning on wiring it up, thanks for the confirmation. Good point on the LED. I would not want to accidentally render the failsafe useless.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 09:37 PM

Nozzle location

I am patiently waiting for my HFS-5 kit to ship. There have been many discussions regarding nozzle placement. Aquamist recommends placing it right after the intercooler. If you have a recirculated BOV; is it a problem if the methanol/air mixture gets recirculated back into the turbo? Is it a problem if the mist hits the turbo blades?
Old Apr 19, 2007, 02:33 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by nothere
Richard I have my new HSF5 installed and run like designed already.

Mine is set up to limit boost when there is a fault. As long as there is water I have 20 psi. I have the stock ecu set to 12.3 AFR or so at high boost, and below is at the normal spool up ratio.
Sometimes i forget to turn on the DDS3 and am limited to 12 psi, press the button and wammo.

Was very happy with the results this last weekend at the track.

in my case a electronic boost controller is triggered by the dds3 to allow high pressure.

any pics?
Old Apr 19, 2007, 02:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by dudical26
That is how I was planning on wiring it up, thanks for the confirmation. Good point on the LED. I would not want to accidentally render the failsafe useless.
Good point by Jack.
Old Apr 19, 2007, 02:38 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by MrEvo2U
I am patiently waiting for my HFS-5 kit to ship. There have been many discussions regarding nozzle placement. Aquamist recommends placing it right after the intercooler. If you have a recirculated BOV; is it a problem if the methanol/air mixture gets recirculated back into the turbo? Is it a problem if the mist hits the turbo blades?
The amount you are injection is relatively small, 10% w/f to fuel is about 1% w/a ratio. You can vent the BOV to the vacuum side of the throttle?
Old Apr 19, 2007, 02:47 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by MrEvo2U
I've thought about that and am planning to inject after the BOV. With the HFS-5, you can start the injection at a fairly low duty cycle/boost level and thus you may end up with the kit spraying while the BOV is venting to the intake ducting before the turbo. It would seem possible to me that some of the methanol could condense in the intercooler at low boost and remain there until the next high boost event cleans it out. That would then cause the AFRs to go rich briefly at the next WOT event, which could make tuning a little wacky. Then there is the issue of how methanol will affect the rubber recirculation tube, the rubber intake ducting, and the internals of the BOV. I don't know...it seems like a much more conservative route to just inject after the BOV. If you were injecting straight water, then I wouldn't worry about it.
Old Apr 19, 2007, 08:59 PM
Evolved Member

Hey Richard, is that diagram you posted from an Evo8 or an Evo9?
Old Apr 20, 2007, 02:11 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by dudical26
Hey Richard, is that diagram you posted from an Evo8 or an Evo9?
The diagram I posted was for EVO8
Old Apr 20, 2007, 08:19 AM

Pump flow

Richard,

Regarding the pump on the HFS-5. How much flow will it support? Will it keep up with two 1.0 mm nozzles or can you go to two larger ones?
Old Apr 20, 2007, 08:34 AM
Former Sponsor

The pump can flow up to 1.5 litre+ per minute, suports 3x 1mm jet -
Old Apr 21, 2007, 09:07 PM
Evolved Member

no pics of my set up as its very utilitarian. the pump is bolted to the bottom of the spare wheel well beside the relocated battery. no carpet liner no frilly ribbons.
the FIA is in the ashtray, the dds3 gauge is direct mounted to the panel beside the steering wheel.
iow I'd be embarrassed to show it compared to the typical ultra neat installs
Old Apr 22, 2007, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

started the install yesterday, one question...is the flow sensor supposed to be really loud?
Old Apr 22, 2007, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

I think what you are hearing is the hsv. mine was loud during the first minutes but I don't hear it at all now.

got my unit second hand so I can't say if you might run across this or not. On my DDS3 circuit board the tiny little jumper was not on the PWM pins, despite what the booklet says. So make sure you have the jumper where you want it.

Last edited by nothere; Apr 22, 2007 at 06:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Aquamist HFS-5 system: Official Q&A...