Aquamist HFS-5 system: Official Q&A...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2007, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Richard,

I just thought of another question.

I am currently on stock injectors (560cc) and I am changing to 780cc
my stock injectors are maxxed out at IDC of 100% When I install the new injectors the overall amount of fuel I am using will be about the same maybe a tiny bit higher. However my IDC will go from 100% to about 80% IDC.

I calculated my WI nozzle size based on 100% IDC but since I will now be at 80% IDC I will need more meth. I don't want to get bigger nozzles, is there any way to offset the FIA, so that when my fuel IDC is at 80%, the WI duty % will be at 100% This way I can get full usage out of the current WI nozzles?
Old Apr 24, 2007, 01:55 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by AlohaEvo
started the install yesterday, one question...is the flow sensor supposed to be really loud?
The flow sensor should be quiet.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 02:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by dudical26
Richard,

I just thought of another question.

I am currently on stock injectors (560cc) and I am changing to 780cc
my stock injectors are maxxed out at IDC of 100% When I install the new injectors the overall amount of fuel I am using will be about the same maybe a tiny bit higher. However my IDC will go from 100% to about 80% IDC.

I calculated my WI nozzle size based on 100% IDC but since I will now be at 80% IDC I will need more meth. I don't want to get bigger nozzles, is there any way to offset the FIA, so that when my fuel IDC is at 80%, the WI duty % will be at 100% This way I can get full usage out of the current WI nozzles?
There are a few things you can do.

1) Double pulse the FIA2 (diode needed) Injector 1-2, 1-3 etc.
2) Use a bigger restrictor (25% bIgger than the jets).
Old May 2, 2007, 02:54 AM
Evolving Member

Hi Richard,

installing finished !

Some questions then...

1. how could I test in free air if all the system works ?

2. I have a 4 x 1000 cc/min injs, and I fit 2 x 0.4mm water jets... what kind of restrictor do you think I should use ?

3. given that mine is not FIA2 driven, but PWM driven, have you got any reference, example, PWM map ?

TIA.
Old May 2, 2007, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

I am wiring up my FIA2 - and there is no orange wire as shown on the diagram, my FIA has a brown wire, is this the same thing?

Last edited by dudical26; May 3, 2007 at 08:57 AM.
Old May 9, 2007, 03:45 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by ItalianEvo
Hi Richard,

installing finished !

Some questions then...

1. how could I test in free air if all the system works ?

2. I have a 4 x 1000 cc/min injs, and I fit 2 x 0.4mm water jets... what kind of restrictor do you think I should use ?

3. given that mine is not FIA2 driven, but PWM driven, have you got any reference, example, PWM map ?

TIA.

1. You can set you controller to send a PWM signal to the HSV, based on idle condition and spray the jet in free air. It will also be nice create a zero boost vs RPM map so you can test the system by revving the engine with boost.

2. What is the maximum duty cycle are you outputting to the 1000cc injectors? Size of the jet will also depend on the afr you are currently running with methanol. Two 0.4mm jet gives you about 420cc/min, use the 0.5mm restrictor.

3. I suggest tracking the fuel duty to start and trim the and slowing replacing the fuel with methanol - . You should only use map in the presence of methanol - the DD3S-v8 should be able for you to switch to a safer map when flow is interrupted.

Suggestion: If you have a spare analogue input on your EMS, you can trim the fuel map in real time so when this is a partially clogged nozzle, the EMS can correct the fuel map accordingly.

Does your EMS has a single input to trim to a target AFR?

Last edited by Richard L; May 9, 2007 at 03:48 PM.
Old May 9, 2007, 04:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by dudical26
I am wiring up my FIA2 - and there is no orange wire as shown on the diagram, my FIA has a brown wire, is this the same thing?
On the HFS-5, we have omitted the orange wire, there should not be an orange wire coming out of the FIA2 unit.

The brown wire should be connected to the HSV.

Richard
Old May 10, 2007, 01:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Richard L
1. You can set you controller to send a PWM signal to the HSV, based on idle condition and spray the jet in free air. It will also be nice create a zero boost vs RPM map so you can test the system by revving the engine with boost.

Ok, thank you Richard.

2. What is the maximum duty cycle are you outputting to the 1000cc injectors?

Still have to know...

Size of the jet will also depend on the afr you are currently running with methanol. Two 0.4mm jet gives you about 420cc/min, use the 0.5mm restrictor.

I'm running 100% water...

3. I suggest tracking the fuel duty to start and trim the and slowing replacing the fuel with methanol - . You should only use map in the presence of methanol - the DD3S-v8 should be able for you to switch to a safer map when flow is interrupted.

Suggestion: If you have a spare analogue input on your EMS, you can trim the fuel map in real time so when this is a partially clogged nozzle, the EMS can correct the fuel map accordingly.

Does your EMS has a single input to trim to a target AFR?
Given that I'm using 100% water, I connected the DDS3 Normally Closed pins to my EBC, so to lower the boost in case of WI malfunction...

Thank you.
Old May 20, 2007, 03:55 PM
Evolving Member

Anyone know where I can get a couple more of those those compression fittings used to adapt the tubing to the water tank? I have two tanks mounted just need a couple more of those fittings.

Thanks
Old May 21, 2007, 02:15 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by DCsleeper
Anyone know where I can get a couple more of those those compression fittings used to adapt the tubing to the water tank? I have two tanks mounted just need a couple more of those fittings.

Thanks
Please contact: Jackblalock(AT)gmail.com

He should be able to help you.
Old May 31, 2007, 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

Richard, I am still finishing up my install, I have everything wired up except for my failsafe solenoid. It is a solenoid such that when energized it allows high boost and when not energized it allows wastegate boost.

I was planning on wiring it up to the BCV + and - outputs on the DDS3 but I had one thought. Using this method the solenoid will not be energized until correct flow is detected, this means that when the turbo starts to spool and reaches about 5-7 psi my WI will turn on, then the solenoid will be energized allowing higher boost. However, the turbo on the EVO builds boost very rapidly and I think that the turbo may actually be waiting for the solenoid to switch on to allow higher boost. Even if it is not waiting, the boost will always build more rapidly if the wastegate is completely closed off and not seeing any pressure (high boost mode)

I was thinking about wiring the solenoid into the Map SW 1 and 2 terminals. I could ground the solenoid and then run the power wires through the map SW 1 and 2 terminals. This way when the WI system is turned on the solenoid will be in high boost mode and only if the system is spraying but not in the safe "window" will the solenoid go to low boost mode.

Does this make sense and is it ok to do this?

Thanks
Old Jun 1, 2007, 05:26 AM
Former Sponsor

You are absolutely correct if you are using pin 9/10. You can get away from the boost lag by trigger your system with IDC. Turn the system in at low IDC, possibly before the boost ramp. The HFS-5 will not consume that much water anyway because it mirrors the fuel. (provided you match the restrictor with water flow).

The altermative method - pin11/12. is the answer but ensure your solenoid valve coil does not heat up excessively in continuous-on operation. You may consider using a "low-power" coil from MAC or Clippard (mouse valve).

Last edited by Richard L; Jun 1, 2007 at 07:02 AM.
Old Jun 1, 2007, 06:29 AM
Evolved Member

does MAC make a 3 port solenoid with "low power" consumption.

I want to use a 3 port solenoid so that the bleeder port on the outlet side of the MBC is not able to bleed off air from the system. With the diagram you drew HERE the bleeder port is able to bleed of air so that low boost will actually be a few PSI above wastegate pressure.

I would like to be able to hook it up like shown Here

Also, it seems as though they make hundreds of versions of the same solenoid. I just want one with 3 ports that stick out that I can put standard vacuum line over. And also has a 12" or so pigtail.

Last edited by dudical26; Jun 1, 2007 at 06:31 AM.
Old Jun 1, 2007, 05:37 PM
Former Sponsor

MAC and Clippard both makes a low power 3-port valve.

There really isn't that many to choose from, just go for 2/3 valve, 12V and low power.

There are a few variations of MBC, the one I drawn is just one version. Some have vents and restrictors. How does yours work?

Last edited by Richard L; Jun 3, 2007 at 02:06 AM.
Old Jun 2, 2007, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

My MBC has a vent whole on the outlet side. I don't really remember the theory but it has something to do with quicker response I think.

I was planning on using a boost solenoid from a GM cyclone that I have from my subaru boost controller. The solenoid worked fine to control boost on my WRX. It is GM part# 1997152. It is a 3 port solenoid. I don't know if it is low power or how precisely it is made.

Do you think that the MAC solenoid will be more reliable.

Quick Reply: Aquamist HFS-5 system: Official Q&A...