Notices
Water / Methanol Injection / Nitrous Oxide

Adding Ice to Meth Tank.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2007, 06:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adding Ice to Meth Tank.

I was wondering what effect adding ice to your meth tank would have. Obviously it would not work for long periods of time. But what about for track use only. Or better yet just putting your meth/water mix in the freezer. If you were running a fair amount of meth the mixture would not freeze but you could easily chill it to 32f or cooler.

If you figure meth is typically at about 70-80 degrees when sitting in the tank during the summer, how much of an improvement would having it be at 32 degrees provide?

I imagine you would need to adjust your tune but other than that. Any one have experience with this?
Old Jul 20, 2007, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dudical26
I was wondering what effect adding ice to your meth tank would have. Obviously it would not work for long periods of time. But what about for track use only. Or better yet just putting your meth/water mix in the freezer. If you were running a fair amount of meth the mixture would not freeze but you could easily chill it to 32f or cooler.

If you figure meth is typically at about 70-80 degrees when sitting in the tank during the summer, how much of an improvement would having it be at 32 degrees provide?

I imagine you would need to adjust your tune but other than that. Any one have experience with this?

I honestly wouldn't suggest doing that due to fueling differences that could be caused with the ice. Also because the ice isn't going to help out anyways, the meth helps becuase it is a higher octane then regular fuel and its evaporating/burn temp is much much lower. Adding ice would just be a good way to end up with a fueling problem and make no difference at all.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

What do you mean end up with a fueling problem, please explain further.

Also meth is used for two reasons, it increases the effective octane and it also cools the intake charge. Chilling the meth/water mix will allow it to further cool the intake charge. I am almost certain it will increase power by further cooling the intake charge but I am looking for some feedback from knowledgeable users.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 11:27 AM
Evolving Member

i lol'd
Old Jul 20, 2007, 11:29 AM
Account Disabled

All you would really be doing is defeating the purpose of the meth injection by adding water to it. Cooling the meth itself would be ok but not just adding ice to the already mixed meth and water.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 11:29 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sounds like a good idea... but i dont think it would make a differnence...

Only one way to find out =-)

DLL ftw!
Old Jul 20, 2007, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SBR INC
All you would really be doing is defeating the purpose of the meth injection by adding water to it. Cooling the meth itself would be ok but not just adding ice to the already mixed meth and water.
Please don’t point out the obvious. Ice is frozen water, I get that part, meth/water mixtures aside I am asking specifically what effect a cold "mixture" would have over a warm "mixture"
Old Jul 20, 2007, 11:32 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I guess one way to do it is make a mix and toss it in a cooler. Then change it when you get to the track!

-Emery
Old Jul 20, 2007, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4 Wheel Slide
sounds like a good idea... but i dont think it would make a differnence...

Only one way to find out =-)

DLL ftw!

That is the conclusion I have come to with most power adding questions. Unfortunately I still have lots left to do before I would be ready to test this out, if I ever get any free time I will give it a shot.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4g63girl
I guess one way to do it is make a mix and toss it in a cooler. Then change it when you get to the track!

-Emery
Yea, that what I was thinking.

Last edited by dudical26; Jul 20, 2007 at 11:51 AM.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
it wont do anything. the amount of heat absorbed from a 30 degree difference in fluid temp is virtually nil compared to the amount of heat absorbed from changing the liquid to vapor state.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

If you already know the answer don't ask for one. Best of luck with your future rebuild.
Old Jul 20, 2007, 01:10 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If you really do want to try this I would recommend dry ice... the only problem with that is once you add it and it vaporizes it will expand, so your meth tank better have a check valve to release some of the pressure.

The only problem I can see with that is I'm not sure if the dry ice would sink or float. If it sinks then you could wind up with bubbles in the line... but that wouldn't be an issue with anti-slosh foam
Old Jul 20, 2007, 01:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey dudical, i thought about it.... 35 shot is ur answer =-)

not big enough to hurt anything and its an easy 50whp =-)
Old Jul 20, 2007, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4 Wheel Slide
Hey dudical, i thought about it.... 35 shot is ur answer =-)

not big enough to hurt anything and its an easy 50whp =-)
hahahaha, I'm not so sure about that. While I love HP, I also like the pursuit of power through increased efficiency. If I already have the Meth kit installed and I can gain power by simply cooling the liquid then why not. I like trying to get power out of as few parts as possible.

94AWDcoupe - thanks for the more technical explanation. I was looking for some kind of scientific info

Do you have any equations or math to back up this statement though?

Quick Reply: Adding Ice to Meth Tank.