Notices
Water / Methanol Injection / Nitrous Oxide

Methanol/Nitromethane

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2007, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Methanol/Nitromethane

Considering that there are a vast majority of people using methanol, and there are fuel additives out there containing NitroPropane, I was curious if anyone had tried going the R/C car/plane/heli fuel route.

After some digging, I found a guy here

http://forum.crookedh.com/showthread.php?t=3481

Who is using it, I believe into the tank.

I figured, considering nitromethane is widely used in the heavy drag racing world, it couldnt hurt to add a little fuel to the methanol/nitromethane spray and see what the results are.

Risky? a little bit

If anyone bites onto this, follow the link he supplied and you can get up to a 40%/60% nitro mix (race boat blend) WITHOUT oils in it.

DONT use off the shelf stuff either. it contains too many heavy oils designed to lubricate r/c engines and trust me, after being involved in the hobby for a long, long time, the stuff is a nasty gum thats hard to clean off of a regular surface, not to mention from intricate parts.
Old Nov 1, 2007, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

search this section of the forum, there is a thread called Nitromethane Q&A

It has lots of talk and info about nitro.

A quick search turned up the following

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ighlight=nitro

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ighlight=nitro
Old Nov 1, 2007, 06:08 PM
Evolved Member

Cool. I did check those out, actually.

I guess I missed the point. If anyone decided to do this, there is an easy alternative to find nitro pre mixed with methanol.....

Im curious to try it myself.
Old Nov 1, 2007, 08:29 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I played around with it for awhile, you have to be careful with how much nitro you use though as you need to tune for it, or the car will run very lean. I came pretty close to nuking an engine playing with it. (Let me clarify it was in a meth injection setup, not directly to the gas) I played with the stuff that wasn't premixed with castor oil. I tried the 10%-30% (10-15% is typical r/c car, 30% is the high performance stuff for the higher end heli/planes)

Last edited by MalibuJack; Nov 1, 2007 at 08:32 PM.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

Jack, you are semi correct. Nitromethane was actually considered "bad" by most die hards who ran nitro fuels, for a good long while.

After a lot of study, 30-33% was found optimal due to the cooling properties that nitro offers.

Thats in R/C cars.

On an Evo, injecting it directly without a tune would most definitely cause a super lean condition. However, realizing gains on TOP meth injection, not just as an added safety measure, could be possible. Much like alcohol, nitro will carry away heat along with it.

Again, the intent was to bring to light an easier way to get nitro....as background checks and paperwork are generally required. Model fuel? Premixed with ZERO castor oil can be had, at the sight listed above.

Im curious though, with just straight castor oil....at the temps that gasoline burns at, wouldnt it just burn off completely?

I would be afraid of gumming parts up.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

The issue is not the oil burning off in the motor. Its oil getting all over the parts of your meth/water injection system.

Damaging pumps, nozzles, etc...
Old Nov 2, 2007, 08:40 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by dudical26
The issue is not the oil burning off in the motor. Its oil getting all over the parts of your meth/water injection system.

+ 1 to that...I played with this stuff for quite sometime until my block decided it didn't like nitrous, nitromethane and methanol anymore...same goes for the tranny...
Old Nov 2, 2007, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dudical26

I agree, but one again , to reiterate...there is many a source for this stuff without oil in it.

But, thinking about it...some special tuning would have to be done just to allow for the extra oxygen being pumped in. Doubtful its worth it....but it sounded like fun.