Notices
Water / Methanol Injection / Nitrous Oxide

direct port injection... who installs it?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2011, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
direct port injection... who installs it?

Hey!

I am wanting to do direct port injection. I believe you have to tap into your Intake Manifold. Does anyone know what shops do that? I am doing some head work over winter so i will have access to my intake manifold. I wanna send it out so it can get tapped for it.

Thanks!
Old Nov 4, 2011, 06:10 PM
Evolving Member

What kind of WI are you working with?
Direct port injection only is an advantage if you have 1 injector per cylinder with individual control.
If you are not using a very sophisticated WI system l will not recommend to have nothing on manifold.
Hope it helps.
Cheers,
C>
Old Nov 4, 2011, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
You do not have to sequential firing or anything. It is ok to just use the regular injection control it is important to have an excellent spray pattern and precise control at all levels of flow though. It is also recommended to run small jets/nozzles to make it work. Esevo on here has been one of the few to do it that I can think of.

Basically though it is better to simply run a few jets in the uicp. This allows more time for the methanol to mix with the air and cool the intake charge.

Last edited by mt057; Nov 4, 2011 at 08:21 PM.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 08:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
guy named Ryu on this forum just tapped the back of his intake manifold with some injection.. not sure what hes injecting though. heres his thread: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ormance-4.html

im guessing its methanol mix
Old Nov 9, 2011, 09:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tscompusa
guy named Ryu on this forum just tapped the back of his intake manifold with some injection..
It looks beautiful but I still thinking it is not the best option with a regular WI system.
Remember that valves open every 720 degrees so mix will be accumulated in the manifold 1 of every 2 crank turn... I will be worried by any thermal shock...
It is just my opinion, hope it can helps.
Cheers
Old Nov 10, 2011, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

see i have no issue tapping into the IC piping however the only reason i was thinking of going this route is b/c I was told each cylinder would get equal spray. I always hear these things about cylinder 1 getting starved and your engine pops... blah blah blah.

I just wanna know where exactly to tap it on the IC piping. I was told, on the UICP, near the end tank of the IC, around there??

OT: Hey MT057, you have Aquamist right? Apparently someone told me when you initally install it, you have to set up those 3 dials on your gauge(or inside your control box)... its like soft spray, mid spray, hard spray. Who set yours up? What did you set yours too?
Old Nov 10, 2011, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Go_Lancer_Go
see i have no issue tapping into the IC piping however the only reason i was thinking of going this route is b/c I was told each cylinder would get equal spray. I always hear these things about cylinder 1 getting starved and your engine pops... blah blah blah.

I just wanna know where exactly to tap it on the IC piping. I was told, on the UICP, near the end tank of the IC, around there??

OT: Hey MT057, you have Aquamist right? Apparently someone told me when you initally install it, you have to set up those 3 dials on your gauge(or inside your control box)... its like soft spray, mid spray, hard spray. Who set yours up? What did you set yours too?
You can starve cylinder 1 if you tap the UICP and inject the meth.

The best bet is to do what Ryu did and tap the intake manifold. This is considered direct port.

-Bink
Old Nov 10, 2011, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by binky
You can starve cylinder 1 if you tap the UICP and inject the meth.

The best bet is to do what Ryu did and tap the intake manifold. This is considered direct port.

-Bink

Cylinder 1 gets uneven airflow anyway. It will be ok as long as your are not attempting to run extreme afr. The majority of motors blown I have found on this forum blew cylinder 1 or 4.

People have been running it in the UICP for longer than I have had an evo. Not saying that makes it the best just tried and true. Less headaches for the begginer.

Running it directly into the mani requires the use of very small jets so that the spray can atomize and mix as much as possible with the incoming air. Also this allows for less time for the intake charge to be cooled by the incoming air.

This can be quite effective I am sure, but more work. Gains would be knowing that each cylinder has equal amounts, but when spraying into the UICP as long as you have good atomization it will mix extremely well with the incoming air. Then the incosistency in afr inbetween cylinders would again be simply due to uneven airflow due to manifold design.

www.waterinjection.info
Old Nov 10, 2011, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Go_Lancer_Go

Install it about 12-18" from the throttle body in the uicp. The three pentiometer on the DDS3 gauge are for setting up the fail safe window and sensor calibration. I run two in my uicp.

www.howertonengineering.com has manuals for all of the aquamist systems.

Also on page 5 of the stick above is an install guide made by a member awhile ago that is very helpful...http://scheides.com/misc/pics/evo/Ho...ll%20HFS-5.pdf

Last edited by mt057; Nov 10, 2011 at 10:00 AM.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

ill check out the links when i get home

do u run the 2 nozzles side by side?
Old Jan 13, 2012, 12:52 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ideally install the nozzles about 3-6 inches apart, this will spread the ETA of the methanol at the intake runners.