Notices
West Region Includes AZ, CA, HI, NV, UT.

Has anyone had their Evo tuned by Rich at Dyno-Comp using UTEC?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2006, 02:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SP00LIN
This is an opinion.

That's just a stupid comment.

As far as "your friend" running even with you, I'm afraid you're mistaken. The 06 Evo makes more power than a stock STI. On the Dynocomp Dyno Dynamics dyno most 06 Evo's make around 230 - 240 whp. You said your buddy made 275 whp.

So what "issues" are you and your buddy having? Are you saying APS doesn't make good products? Are you and he mad because he isn't making the power he hoped for? All he added was an exhaust & intake - what were you expecting? Why hasn't he got a MBC or something and upped the boost?
I meant with all of his mods making 275whp we are even. The boost was "upped" because of his ecutek flash. I know aps makes great products, when did i say they didn't. Richard just took my friend in a poor direction for modding his car. 1) he doesn't need a blow off valve, 2) a 3inch turboback would have been better, and 3) he didn't need an intake either. My buddy didn't know any of these things but you know that richard did. He took advantage of my buddy because he didn't know much about cars- plain and simple. I know Richard can tune fairly well but 2 of my buddies with similar setups w/ sti's have had to get their cars retuned 2 or three times due to their cars beginning to run bad out of nowhere, and my buddy's sister w/ a modded wrx has also had some issues. They were happy with the tune because they made good power and their cars were fast- but they were pretty upset when their cars started to run funny and they had to have it retuned. Another issue my one buddy (the one mentioned in my previous reply) had was that his boost would spike. Richard recommended that he get a high flow cat instead of being catless. I almost ****ing **** myself when I heard this. I told him he should just get a boost controller and set the boost. He followed Richards instructions, spent more money and bought a high flow cat and had it put on. It helped the problem quite a bit but he still spikes pretty hard when he's in a higher gear at lower rpms. So basically it made his car a little slower and didn't fully solve the problem. So now my buddy Josh is going to buy a boost controller and probably take off the high flow cat. He likes Richard, he is just pissed about these inconvienences.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 07:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evo IX MR
Richard at dyno comp sucks ***.
+1
Old Sep 18, 2006, 09:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Blkhrt
+1
Haha see I'm not the only one.
Old Sep 19, 2006, 08:02 AM
Evolving Member

I wish I had two more hands so I could give Dyno-Comp 4 thumbs down
Old Sep 30, 2006, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Evo IX MR
I meant with all of his mods making 275whp we are even. The boost was "upped" because of his ecutek flash. I know aps makes great products, when did i say they didn't. Richard just took my friend in a poor direction for modding his car. 1) he doesn't need a blow off valve, 2) a 3inch turboback would have been better, and 3) he didn't need an intake either. My buddy didn't know any of these things but you know that richard did. He took advantage of my buddy because he didn't know much about cars- plain and simple. I know Richard can tune fairly well but 2 of my buddies with similar setups w/ sti's have had to get their cars retuned 2 or three times due to their cars beginning to run bad out of nowhere, and my buddy's sister w/ a modded wrx has also had some issues. They were happy with the tune because they made good power and their cars were fast- but they were pretty upset when their cars started to run funny and they had to have it retuned. Another issue my one buddy (the one mentioned in my previous reply) had was that his boost would spike. Richard recommended that he get a high flow cat instead of being catless. I almost ****ing **** myself when I heard this. I told him he should just get a boost controller and set the boost. He followed Richards instructions, spent more money and bought a high flow cat and had it put on. It helped the problem quite a bit but he still spikes pretty hard when he's in a higher gear at lower rpms. So basically it made his car a little slower and didn't fully solve the problem. So now my buddy Josh is going to buy a boost controller and probably take off the high flow cat. He likes Richard, he is just pissed about these inconvienences.
Ok let see if I can make some sense of these ramblings.

1) There is nothing wrong with a blow off valve. I assume he got the APS. The APS is a progressive BOV. At light throttle it is 100% recalculating, under more aggressive boost it is a 50%-50% allowing the turbo to take in fresh cool air and "blow off" hot air.

2)3 inch better than what? A 3 1/2? The 3 1/2 definitely makes more power with no trade off. You lose nothing. Is this the guy you said Rich sold him a cat to control boost spike? That statement brings your whole argument into question as there is no cat available, nor are there any provisions for one.

3) There is nothing wrong with a CAI intake either. If the customer asks for a CAT he gets one. If he would like a drop in filter, that’s what he gets.

These are all hi quality pieces with good R&D in them. They make power and will benefit future mods.

As for tuning, it is not an exact science. All cars are different and will respond differently to like mods. A little "tweaking" although rare is not unheard of and always free. So much for your "making more money" theory. Richard always stands behind his work.

I don't know the Josh or the other two friends you are talking about but I'll bet there is more to the story than we have heard.