Notices
West Region Includes AZ, CA, HI, NV, UT.

The California Smog Law(s) Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2012, 07:47 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
All this is the same old news. These so-called CHP programs are nothing new & have been done before

Each Officer has their own pet peeves & priority's during their shift, so it is a gamble

EVO's or any other modded cars should never be daily driven!!!
Old Aug 31, 2012, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
drop in filter, tune, downpipe, catback, cams, clutch, intercooler, etc. there are ways to get power. you just have to leave the emmission stuff on. its the 91 octane that sucks.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 08:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
california. you couldnt pay me to live there.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 08:50 PM

Thanks for the emission stuff.. but that's for smogging registration.. What I'm asking is basically law violation.. I have valid tags, no need for smog of that reason... This is a ticket forcing me to go and says I have to take the vehicle immediately off the road until it's corrected and certified by the ref.
Heres another real question:
So I told the cop I bought it like it is and I never looked under it to see if there was a cat.. The cop said its mandatory I go see a judge EVEN after I get everything corrected up.... Should I stick to my story of buying it like it is or should I just tell the truth and get ****ed? What's the penalty for taking a cat off?
Old Aug 31, 2012, 08:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mgulbransen
I have to also go to a referee and make a court appearance he said to explain to the judge 'why I'm polluting his air'.
answer to judge: so you'll hopefully choke to death because of it

edit: i'm curious though - what do you do if your evo is making 500+ WHP? is it even possible to make it street legal (in CA) when you're making that much power and need a high flow exhaust and whatnot?

Last edited by BlazinVIII; Aug 31, 2012 at 08:57 PM.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 09:02 PM
Evolving Member

Notes for everyone that doesn't live in California. This is what happens when you have environmental Democrat nuts run the state.

I can't understand how the populace elected Jerry Brown again. He was a damned disgrace in the 70's and he is worse now.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 09:19 PM
Evolved Member

Since when do people put up with these BS laws? Treating all citizens like criminals is just stupid. Always a bad decision putting all the power in police hands.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by BlazinVIII
answer to judge: so you'll hopefully choke to death because of it

edit: i'm curious though - what do you do if your evo is making 500+ WHP? is it even possible to make it street legal (in CA) when you're making that much power and need a high flow exhaust and whatnot?
It's impossible to make 500+WHP in California. EVERY aftermarket part must have a CARB# stamped on it (Carb is California Air Resource Board if some don't know)... That means if you put an intake on it, if it doesn't have a CARB# on it it's illegal. My hybrid BOV even though I can recirculate it is illegal. Also for smog we also have to put cars on Dynos to run them at speed to check smog, as well as now diesel trucks. California is a joke, I'm this close to moving to another state.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by highlyevolved
Since when do people put up with these BS laws? Treating all citizens like criminals is just stupid. Always a bad decision putting all the power in police hands.
You don't understand.. we have a Democratic government.. Its Nature 1st, Humans second. We even have spare the air days where you can't burn a fire in your fireplace and the government hired people to go around and write citations for it. The CHP can retire after only 25 years of work with i believe 90% of their highest paid year. These guys are ******.. It's sad when you are just driving home from work like I was and get pulled over for smog ****.. Unbelievable.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 09:53 PM
Evolving Member

not, gonna lie I daily my evo and haven't been pulled over yet. Of course I drive like a grandpa even though I'm 20.
Plus I have a glovebox full of carb orders and smog exempt list pulled from the smog tech's handbook. Cat,Oe crushed bov, and everything is recirculated.

I will say I have had cops eye and trail me plenty of times, so my best guess is I look too nerdy to be mr fast and furious.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 08:29 AM

in the big picture none of this emissions fight even matters when the rest of the world isn't held to the same standard, thanks for bringing back the worst thing ever, ref. dept and waisting tax payers money on something so stupid.....awesome way to get california out of debt don't you think?
Old Sep 1, 2012, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

can you guys drive any sort of carbureted cars there?
Old Sep 1, 2012, 09:32 AM

I been driving my evo with out the front license plate since i got it. I got the DoD decals, OIF, OEF Stickers on the back. Plus if i get pull over i just show the cop my military ID. Cops where i lived here in San Diego is either retired or ex military. I got lucky a couple of times....

And everytime i drove around deygo there's always a guy driving an SI or RSX always gave me that look....
Old Sep 1, 2012, 11:38 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah this thread scares me.

a.) So at the ref are inter coolers cool?
b.) Stock frame turbos are not cool?
c.) Cat-back exhaust/down pipe not cool?
d.) S1 cams cool?

I have had two cops look under my hood and neither one said a thing to me about all of my shiny parts. I LOVE INJEN'S CARB APPROVAL. I just pointed to the CARB numbers on the intake/uicp and one was like, cool I don't give a **** about your car have a nice day slow down.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 05:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you are in CA you should know these things already it's really nothing "new" unless you are some kiddy teen, keep ur cat on or just get a high flow one.

Quick Reply: The California Smog Law(s) Thread [MERGED]