Notices
West Region Includes AZ, CA, HI, NV, UT.

The California Smog Law(s) Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2012, 04:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah dude, i've seen a lot of these in my area. Where did they catch you? There's been a few in the San Fernando Valley.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by luis!
Yeah dude, i've seen a lot of these in my area. Where did they catch you? There's been a few in the San Fernando Valley.
Up here in Northern CA.. Bull**** is I didn't do anything wrong.. he saw I had no baffle in my muffler tip and said it's required.. then just said pop the hood and raped me. California ****ing sucks I'm about to move out.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 04:50 PM
Evolving Member

DAAAMMNNNN that BLOOWWWSSSS

Good thing you're only lightly modified
Old Aug 31, 2012, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by hermin0000

Yeah you're tellin me lol.. I only have the BOV to replace, 10 minutes.. put a cat back on.. 20 minutes and put the baffle in. THANK GOD.
Now I'm wondering though I bought my car from a dealership and it came with no front plate or bracket. he wrote me up for no license plate on front also does anyone know if I have to find a bracket?
Old Aug 31, 2012, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by hermin0000

and P.S. dude watch out since your in California.. it's a HUGE enforcement effort.. The cop told me '95% of CHP wouldn't have pulled you over, but I'm out here only for this reason.. you just had bad luck'
Old Aug 31, 2012, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
WOW, I am happy my car is not registered here. I am sure one day I will get pulled over, and I am curious to see how it will all play out. Last time I got rolled in my 91 Galant 680whp, the CHP was checking all the vin numbers and making sure that everything was legit.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 05:52 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
I've seen stock STIs pulled over because of the STI stamp on the exhaust tip. If the CHP officer isn't sure, you'll get a ticket anyway and he'll let the ref sort it out.

Our cars fit into a profile, so you're going to get noticed, regardless. It's too bad you had to learn this from a CHP officer instead of someone else with a modified car or by reading car forums.

I had to go see the ref with my old ITR, I put the stock exhaust system back in and brought the car to get it inspected. He kicked me out of there within minutes and asked me, "Why are you here?"

If you want to drive a heavily modified import car in California, understand that this is part of the game we have to play. Running a vent to atmosphere BOV, straight pipes/unbaffled/unresonated exhaust, no front plate, front tinted windows and the oem spoiler is not the best way to keep yourself off of their radar.

OP I'm sorry you had to learn the hard way. Just swap out your parts, limp your car to the ref and cross your fingers.

Old Aug 31, 2012, 05:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow. You guys have life bad over there. Here's in Florida you can drive anything from a swamp buggy to a monster truck and no one cares. I think I have a front bracket. If I can find it it's yours. Just pay shipping.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 06:09 PM

That's why it sucks to have modified cars CA. Almost makes you want to stay stock. Hope I never get stopped for this.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 06:17 PM

Thanks guys. Well they just recently started doing this, it's a huge effort going on right now.. so if you haven't been pulled over, you probably will be if you're in CA. I got a couple questions for you guys though... The CHP said that I have to take it immediately off of the road and if it's on the road it's a moving violation, so a point on my record, then the third time is a misdemeanor. Don't you get some kind of a period to get the stuff fixed?? I have my stock diverter and I have my stock cat.. Can I just get away bolting on the cat to my megan exhaust?
Old Aug 31, 2012, 06:18 PM

Oh, and he also said they are pulling over for headlights.. So if you have 6000k+ HID look out.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 06:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mgulbransen
Now I'm wondering though I bought my car from a dealership and it came with no front plate or bracket. he wrote me up for no license plate on front also does anyone know if I have to find a bracket?
Bought mine from the dealer without one and had to drill into the bumper. The judges/refs don't give a crap and will just tell you its the law and you need to have one.

Big mistake is not having a front plate. Don't give them an obvious reason to pull you over.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
that sucks man, while my ticket i got didnt have that many citations i got hit with a modified emissions ticket about 1 1/2 years ago, took two times going to the ref to pass because my exhaust prior to welding 2 18" resonators it was loud. Long story short i put my cat in and a silencer passed, theyll give u a certification once you pass. Put it in your glove box use it as a defense weapon against future exhaust/emissions ticket. You get time to correct it just keep extending your ticket date, thats when it has to be checked off certified by. For reference not admitting guilt but after that ticket and the certification i still run catless, if you drive a known modded sports car out here in cali, stealth is the way to go. 2 resonators really quieted the noise of the exhaust with vacuum shifting and cruising. Ive had pretty much almost every major traffic violation you can think of driving throughout the years cuz i drove more like a knucklehead a long time ago, but i also learned what you can do. Main thing is to swap what you need to pass, which you can go to a smog check place tell them not to send to dmv, but they use pretty much same equipment. More then likely swapping your cat back on, should take care of the problem.
Good luck
Old Aug 31, 2012, 06:36 PM

Man, that blows. I'm sorry.

Maybe I haven't been bothered since I have DoD decals on my car...I've noticed I get barely a glance from CHP since I had my decals on...
Old Aug 31, 2012, 07:26 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
So, I've posted fairly extensively on this topic before. Here are links to some of my more relevant posts:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/8297514-post10.html
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/9474658-post5.html
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/9475082-post11.html
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/9591684-post16.html
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/9594174-post23.html

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
if that's the case can you leave the stock headers, and get a high flow cat, straight through muffler, and replace the squished pipe with a round one? would THAT be legal?
So here's the deal, if the part on your car does not have a CARB EO number, you're screwed.

It's just that simple.

If your car happens to have a high flow cat and a decent tune, you might be able to pass the sniffer. You might also be able to pass the visual if you take your modified car to your local Mom & Pop test only station since they might be lazy or just plain dumb.

The real problem is when Mr. Highway Patrol pulls your monkey **** over and sees something that doesn't look stock or asks you to pop your hood because he believes you maybe running illegal parts.

That's when the real games begin.

So, the majority of law enforcement doesn't know what comes stock on what specific cars, but can usually tell if something isn't OEM. If they aren't sure, they can just cite you for 'modified exhaust' and let the state referee sort it out. At that point, you're no longer allowed to drive your vehicle on the street legally with the exception of either to work or to school. I speak from experience here, I've been cited for modified exhaust and was sent to the ref so I understand the procedure. The CHP officer thought my car was running a stolen motor, when in fact it was the original motor that came with the car. It's not his job to have a catalog of cars, parts and motors in his brain, that's the referee's job. He had never seen the red valve cover that is standard on the B18C motor in the Integra Type-R, so he opted to send me to the ref.

The state referee is well versed in smog systems, aftermarket parts and engine swaps:

A Referee Center is a state-contracted vehicle emissions test facility that provides certain Smog Check services for motorists. A Referee Center is authorized to offer specialized inspection services that are beyond the scope of California's licensed Smog Check stations. Referee Centers are located primarily at California Community Colleges throughout the state.
http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/80_BARRe...e_Centers.html

These guys are the gatekeepers that stand between you and that updated vehicle registration license tag. Until you clear your car with the ref, the DMV will not issue you new tags and as such, you'll not be able to drive your vehicle. At that point, you run the risk of having your car impounded.

Motorists whose vehicles fail a Smog Check because of missing or modified emission-related parts, must replace those parts. The BAR's Emissions Parts Locator service helps motorists locate difficult to find emissions parts or if the parts cannot be found, a Limited Parts Exemption is issued. When a Limited Parts Exemption is issued, the motorist must take his or her vehicle to a Referee Center for inspection. If it passes all other aspects of the Smog Check inspection, the vehicle will be certified. If the parts are available in time for the next required smog inspection, they must be installed before the vehicle can be certified.
If you're sent to see the referee, it's pretty much a death sentence for your modified car. At that point, you might as well return your car to stock. I've known people to not even bother with trying to run aftermarket parts because of the sheer costs involved with the parts, labor, dyno and then the cost or removing the parts, retuning the car and then going to the ref. The referee knows what's up, so don't expect to roll in there with an FP Red on your car, injectors and play dumb expecting him to send you on your merry way.

Hope this helps.
Originally Posted by RalliartN
How can any header cause an emissions test fail? Our car comes stock with a header. As far as the exhaust system is concerned, it is only the cat con that affects the various combustion by-product emission levels.
If it's altered in a way that's not approved by the CARB, you fail. Parts owners are required to display and show all CARB EO numbers upon demand to state referees and law enforcement.

The emissions system that met the California Air Resources Board (CARB) standards at the date of manufacture is the only thing approved for street use. The emissions system has to remain in a form that is either equal to or better than the original system as it was developed by Mitsubishi. The vehicle owner doesn't make that judgement call, it's up to the part developer to go through the CARB testing process.

An exemption from Vehicle Code Section 27156 (VC 27156), California's anti-tampering law, is required before any add-on or modified part can be sold in California. Manufacturers interested in obtaining a VC 27156 exemption for an add-on or a modified part should fill-out and submit an application form to the ARB for evaluation. Detailed information on how to do this can be obtained from the document, "Procedures for Exemption of Add-On and Modified Parts," amended June 1, 1990.
http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/aftermkt.htm

Aftermarket parts go through a lengthy and intensive testing process (aka bureaucracy) to see how the part alters the emissions of the vehicle. If the emissions of the vehicle are unchanged or even improved, the part gets approved and given a CARB Executive Order number.

Name:  b32f5cb0.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  122.9 KB

Welcome to California!

Quick Reply: The California Smog Law(s) Thread [MERGED]