Notices
West Region Includes AZ, CA, HI, NV, UT.

The California Smog Law(s) Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2013, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CammedEvo
ugh, I just signed to relocate to the bay area.

It's painfully obvious my Evo will never ever pass inspections. But I'm seriously considering transferring it into my dads name and never registering it in Cali.

The bull**** part about this is I would be happy to configure it to pass smog or at least try. Its the fact none of my parts are CARB approved that kills it.

Whats the best local bay area general car forum?
There's a private facebook group - I'll PM you.
Old May 14, 2013, 10:19 PM

trouble passing smog

are there any smog techs on this forum? i got reffed and back in 4/26 i went for my first test and passed everything but the smog. it was due to high HC. i went to my friends smog shop right after and i passed as soon as i got there. he said it was since i got there to early the cat was not hot enought to burn all the HC. we did it a second time with the car completely cold and it looked like it was passing so he drove it for a bit and then warmed up the cat by revving it up to around 4k rpm for a minute. the cat warmed up and the reading went down and i passed. i did get to the state reff like an hour early. i then scheduled another test for last friday and made sure the car was up to operating temperatures and this time i failed and its a gross polluter... now its also reading high on carbon monoxide... i wasnt expecting that so i went to find a diagnose and repair shop and stopped by a start smog shop and the smog technician said my car was completely stock. he did the 2 speed test and it passed with no proble... why would i fail the state reff twice and pass elsewhere with no problem?
Old May 14, 2013, 10:21 PM

here are the results showing the smog history
Attached Thumbnails The California Smog Law(s) Thread [MERGED]-smg-hist.jpg  
Old May 15, 2013, 04:32 PM
Evolving Member

Possibly your cat may be clogged and not heating up correctly? Just throwing ideas out there. Also, having previous experience here, just because a tech says your car is stock, does not mean its stock. I just had Mitsu tell me that my aftermarket exhaust was stock :P

Are there any mods your aware of?
Old May 15, 2013, 05:38 PM

Why don't you get the test done at the place that is passing it?
Old May 16, 2013, 12:04 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Leezon
Why don't you get the test done at the place that is passing it?
the cops gave him a ticket for some sort of modified engine issue which forces the person to go to a state run smog referee. That's why we in so cal call it a 'ref' ticket.
Old May 16, 2013, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by diego88
here are the results showing the smog history
I'm a tad confused. The most-recent test says "P" for "passed." What's the problem?

edit: ah, that thing you posted was from the shop, not the State, eh?
Old May 16, 2013, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by rcantu
the cops gave him a ticket for some sort of modified engine issue which forces the person to go to a state run smog referee. That's why we in so cal call it a 'ref' ticket.
Ah ok.

I would argue the fact that he has taken it to other testers and it has passed and he has documented proof of it. Make them believe something is obviously wrong with their equipment
Old May 16, 2013, 10:25 PM

Yup sorry I didn't post the rest of the info... I got pulled over and got a ticket for a modified emissions but all I had was a knn drop in and catback... and I'm in california... I have a 3rd app set and the regional manager is showing up to do it himself... he said I can pass 100 times any other place but it won't matter until I pass the state reff... now the tech that passed me said the hc was a little high and the state does the tests for a longer periid of time and maybe that's why they get those readings of hi hydrocarbons... I changed my spatrk plugs ago and today I made sure the gap was right and put my drop in filter back in and now the idle is way smoother
Old May 17, 2013, 09:00 AM

You're in CA right? Check to see if CA AB2289 applies. It went into effect in January. http://www.smogtips.com/new-smog-law-AB-2289.cfm .
Old May 17, 2013, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My reading of the CA rules is that, once he was "reffed" he was going to have to pass a full inspection, even if he put the entire car back to stock. AB2289 only makes it easier to pass smog once the car is something like 6 years old and needs to be tested. That's completely separate from when you get caught with non-CARB stuff on your car.
Old May 18, 2013, 06:13 PM

Yeah state reff is different... now there may be something wrong with my car. I swapped out my cat with a friends cat that has about 4000 miles Nd noticed my o2 sensor before the cat looked fouled. Here is a pic of the o2, corrct me if I'm wrong but that looks fouled right? The other sensor looks nothing like it

I can't upload the pics for some reason

Last edited by diego88; May 18, 2013 at 06:16 PM.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 01:12 PM
Evolving Member

I returned my car back to stock when I brought it into the state, IN didnt give a crap about what you put on your car. I cant go back because the aftermarket exhaust was totally destroyed by the road salt they used instead of plowing the streets so im "stuck" stock now. Id love to start moving back to something a bit more aggressive, but still staying close enough that I can revert to stock every couple years just to pass smog~
Old Jun 25, 2013, 02:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CammedEvo
ugh, I just signed to relocate to the bay area.

It's painfully obvious my Evo will never ever pass inspections. But I'm seriously considering transferring it into my dads name and never registering it in Cali.

The bull**** part about this is I would be happy to configure it to pass smog or at least try. Its the fact none of my parts are CARB approved that kills it.

Whats the best local bay area general car forum?
im considering looking into registering it in my moms name out of state as well for this same reason.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 01:30 PM

Hello

Failed smog on my newly aquired 2005 Evo

Idle hydrocarbons where 225 (100 allowed) All other numbers very clean.

I put the stock camshafts which came with the car back in and passed. Hydrocarbons down to 17.

When i researched this on many forums I read a bunch of posts about people passing with 272's as long as you had the stock cat on the car. After I failed i searched more and found a few california folks saying no way 272's will pass.

So anyway for me they are a pass. As soon as I have enough post points I am going to try to trade them to somebody in the classifieds for some milder cams. I need to research some more and see if there any that pass CA smog.

I suppose some combo of tune/cam timing might pass with the 272's. If the results where closer I might have been inclined to try. But stressing on smog every 2 years is no fun so it stock for now!

Now at least DMV will accept my paperwork for title change. It appears that DMV will take your $$ but will not take your paperwork/old title till you pass smog. Nice!

Daron

Quick Reply: The California Smog Law(s) Thread [MERGED]