Notices
West Region Includes AZ, CA, HI, NV, UT.

The California Smog Law(s) Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2013, 01:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HKS 272's are smaller than Kelford 272's. Just be aware that bigger cams make it harder to pass. And if the car has other tuning issues or if the engine is getting old and clapped out it might need more help to pass smog.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 12:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just read from the ARB that the obd inspections will start in mid 2014

pages 8-12 http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResource...e%20Report.pdf

for those who need a source. looks like I have to smog the hard way one more time..
Old Aug 6, 2013, 05:38 PM

never really understood this new smog they tryin to pass but some pls fill me in new to the city?
Old Aug 14, 2013, 01:37 PM

CA Smog Issue during Idle

Im registering my IX MR in CA and I went to have the smog done and it failed.

Now, I dont have any significant engine mods (mostly stock) but I do have an Ultimr Racing high-flow cat in there. Now before you say, "THAT'S YOUR PROBLEM!" listen to the results:

The car passed the 2500rpm smog across the board getting a 97 HC (PPM) but for some reason the car is idling fairly rich... At 790rpm (measured idle) the HC (PPM) was measured at 293 (Gross polluter) far beyond the 100 that's allowed.

So my question-- is it really just the Ultimate Racing High Flow Cat (2.5") causing the idle smog to fail, or could there be other issues ie air filter, plugs, wires, misfiring, etc that could also attribute to this that I might try to resolve first before swapping the stock cat back on? From what I recall when I was looking around, the HF cat *should* pass inspection which is why I went with that over a test pipe.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I failed MISERABLY with my HFC...I swapped in my oem cat and exhaust (you might only need the oem cat) and I was good to go. So yes, it could very well be your problem.

I have HKS cams, cam gears, custom dyno tune and I only needed to put the oem cat and exhaust back on. If you can bolt on your oem cat to your existing exhaust, try that out but have them test it first to see if it will pass an idle test before actually going thru the full smog test.

I had a free sniffer test done before paying for piece of mind.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 01:51 PM
Evolving Member

The HFC does not pass smog in Cali.. you could throw some corn in it to lean it out and run cleaner. Maybe like 2-3 gallons on a full tank of 91.

Best bet would be to just swap to stock cat.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 02:27 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
The OEM catalytic converter does its job. HFC are mostly for states where having one in your car is considered "good enough" since the car often only gets a visual anyway. I don't think I can recall a single time where a HFC ever passed the sniffer here in CA.

Old Aug 20, 2013, 02:00 PM
Evolving Member

I just smogged my car using kelford 272s and my stock cat, also leaned it out with 2gallons of e85..

Needless to say kelfords or gscs will pass with a stock cat.

I was under the assumption my cams were too aggressive to pass, but my smog test says otherwise. Heck it even did better than my hks 264s 2 years ago.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 07:21 AM

numbers

Thatguy5, I am amazed a the differances people have. Can you post your smog test numbers please?

Also are your cams set to 0?

thanks Daron
Old Aug 22, 2013, 05:44 PM
Evolving Member

Sure no problem, I also should mention that I am running rc1200 injectors, I have stock cam gears so they are set at 0. As for cam timing at idle i dont know what it is.

Last edited by thatguy5; Sep 20, 2014 at 04:23 PM. Reason: name disclosure
Old Aug 25, 2013, 09:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cali smog law question,renewing reg for non- op car

I beend digging and reading around the CA dmv website and searching online but haven't been able to find the answer Ive been looking for. When I received my annual registration renewal a few years back I chose the option to non op my car as it was currently without a motor and would not be driven for a while.

Now my question is, Now that I plan to hopefully have the car up and running I would like to renew its registration. Is it just a matter of getting it to pass smog or do I need to go to a ref because it was non op?
Old Aug 26, 2013, 11:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You just have to get it smogged and pay whatever the current fee is for reg.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 03:41 PM
Evolved Member

Has anyone recently moved into CA? What is the process here? The DMV website is perhaps the most confusing DMV site I've encountered.

The FAQs say if the car is less than 6 years old, it doesn't need to be smogged, you pay an abatement fee instead. I have a 2008 X, which I guess is 5 years? The stupid site just says if your registration renewal says you need one, you need one. But as a new reg, I obviously don't have a renewal.

If I do need one, do I go to the DMV first? Smog first? It looks like they use 2WD dynos for the test, how do I find one with an AWD dyno (any suggestions in the Mountain View area, and on that note are their good/bad test sites)? It also says I need inspection by a DMV agent and to make an appointment, so I did that.

Any problems with the following setup:
* Injen CARB-certified intake (swapping out my AMS intake this weekend)
* Unbranded AMS UICP (looks stock in crinkle black... could use the matching Injen UICP with an EO# if it's an issue, but would rather not)
* Unbranded AMS IC
* AMS Cat-back exhaust (stock cat, no modifications)
* Boost gauge (vacuum line got cut with a T fitting for the sensor)
* Buschur tune on the AMS intake, reverting to latest stock ROM after moving to Injen intake

Anything in there to be worried about? This is a lot of stuff to get sorted out in less than 20 days, and they certainly don't make it easy for out-of-staters.

Last edited by gizmotoy; Aug 28, 2013 at 04:39 PM.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gizmotoy
Has anyone recently moved into CA? What is the process here? The DMV website is perhaps the most confusing DMV site I've encountered.

The FAQs say if the car is less than 6 years old, it doesn't need to be smogged, you pay an abatement fee instead. I have a 2008 X, which I guess is 5 years? The stupid site just says if your registration renewal says you need one, you need one. But as a new reg, I obviously don't have a renewal.

If I do need one, do I go to the DMV first? Smog first? It looks like they use 2WD dynos for the test, how do I find one with an AWD dyno (any suggestions in the Mountain View area, and on that note are their good/bad test sites)? It also says I need inspection by a DMV agent and to make an appointment, so I did that.

Any problems with the following setup:
* Injen CARB-certified intake (swapping out my AMS intake this weekend)
* Unbranded AMS UICP (looks stock in crinkle black... could use the matching Injen UICP with an EO# if it's an issue, but would rather not)
* Unbranded AMS IC
* AMS Cat-back exhaust (stock cat, no modifications)
* Boost gauge (vacuum line got cut with a T fitting for the sensor)
* Buschur tune on the AMS intake, reverting to latest stock ROM after moving to Injen intake

Anything in there to be worried about? This is a lot of stuff to get sorted out in less than 20 days, and they certainly don't make it easy for out-of-staters.

Ya its confusing. I don't know all your answers but I do know some.
-- if the car is awd then they just run it out of gear off the rollers. they don't have awd dynos.
I think you smog every 2 years, they mail you a renewal and if it says you need a smog then you smog it, get the paperwork from it and then go to the dmv to get your current tags. You have to have your smog paperwork before you go up to the dmv.

If your coming from out of state then when you go to the dmv I believe they also have someone come out and look at your car to verify the info, at least that's what they did with me last time I moved out here and brought a car out of state.

If the car is within 5 years or whatever that age was, then iirc you wont have to smog it initially, then next time its due for tags then you will get a notice that you will have to. Also, if you find those certain zip codes in certain counties then you will only need to smog once and never more. If you dig into the dmv website it lists the counties but not the zip codes in those counties. Ive been looking more into this to find out exactly where cause it would be nice not to have to smog.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 09:33 AM

hi I just moved to CA from Hawaii. I had to get my 2012 gsr smogged. so I just put back on the stock part got the smog cert then did the DMV part. if you have the smog cert it make everything else easy if you can call it easy.

Quick Reply: The California Smog Law(s) Thread [MERGED]