Notices
West Region Includes AZ, CA, HI, NV, UT.

The California Smog Law(s) Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2020, 08:07 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
You have a ton of stuff that won't pass. But I don't believe you are allowed to pass with a CEL
The following users liked this post:
krackerstache (Feb 7, 2020)
Old Feb 7, 2020, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If you have a stock cat, and the engine bay is not blinged out you will likely pass visual. The airbox box is a big one. Don't have a giant cone filter, that never works. The CEL is for sure your biggest issue, and second is the place where you get it smogged. Try to find a place that is at least knowledgable, maybe with help from the forums, though you may need PMs to get an answer from folks in your area. Nobody will want to comment on the open forum about smog shops as the regs on them are crazy tight, and they police and fine them as a policy. Good ones do exist though. I put stock cat on, and have a stock engine bay, and I passed.

All of the smog stuff is nonsense anymore. Our cars are dinosaurs, and smogging them has no positive impact anymore. I am an environment champion for sure, and getting older and milder on stuff, but electric and alternate stuff is taking over. These regulations are a waste of money and effort. They will do little to benefit the environment anymore. They were appropriate at one time, but some regs for manufacturers for new cars is effective, but after that our problem is the production of the materials used for new tech cars, batteries and stuff like that.

The numbers of EVO, subies, or old pickup trucks are dwindling and their impact is negligible. At least any impact that a smog test would ensure to prevent. none.

If you do some ECU cleaning make sure you have enough miles on it, or a good tuner so all the readiness is set appropriate for clearing your AYC cel.

krackerstache (Feb 7, 2020)
Old Feb 7, 2020, 10:14 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
^ Yup. Ever since CA smog became more about the visual and checking your electronics (mostly the o2 sensors) than sniffing your exhaust gases, it lost all rational gains for the environment. I'm glad they stopped doing sniffer, but I took my daily driver (09 corolla) to a typical smog shop the other day and all they did was let it idle, scan the vin, and maybe plug something into the OBDII port and they passed it. That's not enough information to tell if your engine is burning something it shouldn't.

Of course, they would have handled it differently if I brought the Evo in and had a field day with it.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 02:25 PM
Evolving Member

Having gone through my fair share of smogs and failures, I think your biggest hurdle is going to be the intake and UICP. But it depends on the shop that you go to. Once the guy saw my UICP, then he looked around more. He saw the plate that replaces the cross bars and realized my DP was also not stock. Immediate failure. But once I swapped out all of the parts and went back, he plugged his scanner into the OBDII port, idled the car for 10 minutes or so, and I passed.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by krackerstache
Hello Everyone,

Idk how active this thread still is but I figured I'd give it a shot....

I just moved to the SF area from NYC and drove my Evo X across the country. It was an amazing trip and so happy that I decided to drive. Now that I've settled into my place here in SF I am looking to get the car registered in CA. the list of Mods that I have are as follows:
  • K&N intake
  • COBB UICP
  • AMS Wide Mouth Downpipe + Stock Cat + CNT Cat Back Exhaust
  • COBB AP Tuned (Stage 1 + 91)
The Cat is stock but the heat shield rusted off about a year ago. (thank you North East winters!). about 3 months ago I got the CEL for the AYC pump, I got it looked at and the dealer said it would be about 4k to replace and service... didn't want to spend that kind of money at the time with my upcoming move and did my research to make sure it wouldn't affect my normal driving.

Will I pass Smog with this CEL open? or should I use EvoScan or Tephra to clear all CELs just to get Smogged? will I even pass with the few bolt-ons that I have?
--
Cheers
I've been trying to find a heat shield to put back on my CAT but no luck and now Mitsubishi discontinued it entirely.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 11:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by wtftuck
I've been trying to find a heat shield to put back on my CAT but no luck and now Mitsubishi discontinued it entirely.
Having gone through this fairly recently, it could be that YMMV on the shop you go to. The shop I went to failed me on the visual almost immediately. UICP and my coated DP were cited as reasons for this. Catback exhaust won't be a problem. I don't think the tune will be one, either, but I honestly don't know what they're scanning for these days when they hook up OBD to do the smog check. Incidentally, I bought a brand new cat ($669, ouch) because it had been so long since I smogged and I didn't even know sniffers aren't in use anymore. So you might get lucky doing the Tephra mod to clear the CEL and do other trickery to bypass the smog check. I've heard this exists, but I don't have details.

Thanks for the reminder, I need to post up in the For Sale forum to sell the cat, which only has 200 miles at most on it right now.

Hopefully, someone that lives around SF can recommend you a shop that isn't so strict about the visual inspection, but be prepared to hear that they are all like this in CA now... Good luck!
Old Jul 7, 2020, 02:01 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by wtftuck
Legally, the heat shield isn't required. My last smog had the tech asking me about it. I told him I had to remove it because the spot welds broke and the noise was driving me nuts. The serial number/whatever was still on the cat, so he passed the car. Again, the heat shield is NOT required. If you have a tech that is so scared, he's willing to fail you for it, go to another smog shop. That's my advise, anyway. I do recognize the fact that C.A.R.B. has smog shops paranoid of fines and losing their licenses. It's ****ing nuts.

Originally Posted by Matz
I don't think the tune will be one, either, but I honestly don't know what they're scanning for these days when they hook up OBD to do the smog check. Incidentally, I bought a brand new cat ($669, ouch) because it had been so long since I smogged and I didn't even know sniffers aren't in use anymore. So you might get lucky doing the Tephra mod to clear the CEL and do other trickery to bypass the smog check. I've heard this exists, but I don't have details.

Hopefully, someone that lives around SF can recommend you a shop that isn't so strict about the visual inspection, but be prepared to hear that they are all like this in CA now... Good luck!
So far, it seems the ECU scans are random and nobody knows they are caught until they get a notice in the mail. You may want to be careful when advising people they can pass with a tune, as that is becoming less and less common. California is obviously catching onto modded ECUs and I see their crackdown becoming the norm for all smog inspections. Yay California. I'd advise you keep your cat. converter if you plan to keep your Evo in CA. I can promise you will need it again.

Old Jul 7, 2020, 03:14 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for that information! And I apologize if it sounded like I was giving advice. It was really meant to be more like a, "I heard this works and maybe you'll get lucky" statement. My Evo doesn't have any Tephra hacks and passed, even though I had failed smog previously. I changed the cat and spark plugs, only to find that when I eventually passed and got my Evo re-registered, they didn't even bother to sniff it.

Well, I'm glad that I'm selling the Evo soon and will no longer be modding any future vehicles. Too much of a pain in the ***, and I'm too old for this as well.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 03:31 PM
kaj

Thanks for that information! And I apologize if it sounded like I was giving advice. It was really meant to be more like a, "I heard this works and maybe you'll get lucky" statement. My Evo doesn't have any Tephra hacks and passed, even though I had failed smog previously. I changed the cat and spark plugs, only to find that when I eventually passed and got my Evo re-registered, they didn't even bother to sniff it.

Well, I'm glad that I'm selling the Evo soon and will no longer be modding any future vehicles. Too much of a pain in the ***, and I'm too old for this as well.
Yeah, no cat needed for the sniffer, just visual and to keep the rear O2 from registering a fault.
I'm with you on the PITA thing. I sold my Evo to a company out of state. Occasionally, I still get to drive it. It became not worth it for me to maintain and smog the car in CA any more. The state made it impossible for me to keep the car on the road..which is really annoying considering I was putting only about 1000 miles per year on it. So **** them.
My other "fun" car is 100% stock and will stay that way. Commiefornia wins. They have officially sucked the car culture out of Commiefornia. It used to be so fun.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 03:38 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
I sold my Evo to a company out of state.
Wait wait wait. You literally stated you would never sell your car multiple times on this forum.

Fresno is that good that staying there made you sell the Evo?

*That question is rhetorical. I've lived in Fresno. It sucks. It's probably #95 out of the 100 of places I would live in California. However, I moved to NJ from California so what the hell do I know! :P
Old Jul 7, 2020, 04:12 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by razorlab
Wait wait wait. You literally stated you would never sell your car multiple times on this forum.

Fresno is that good that staying there made you sell the Evo?

*That question is rhetorical. I've lived in Fresno. It sucks. It's probably #95 out of the 100 of places I would live in California. However, I moved to NJ from California so what the hell do I know! :P
I own the company and bring the car back any time I wanna use it. 😁 It's a company car, so I no longer own it.

I can't leave CA. I make more money here than any other state and I take advantage of everything the state has to offer. I pay for it, of course, but worth it. Living somewhere with a cheaper cost of living, but with less things to enjoy, is not a trade up for me.

Once I retire, so I then make the same amount of $$$ no matter where I live, THEN I might...might consider moving. But I'll probably still be enjoying CA so nah
Pal215 (Jul 7, 2020)
Old Jul 8, 2020, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
And incidents like these are why I'm glad I kept my car bone stock.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 09:19 PM
Evolving Member

Having gone through this fairly recently, it could be that YMMV on the shop you go to. The shop I went to failed me on the visual almost immediately. UICP and my coated DP were cited as reasons for this. Catback exhaust won't be a problem. I don't think the tune will be one, either, but I honestly don't know what they're scanning for these days when they hook up OBD to do the smog check. Incidentally, I bought a brand new cat ($669, ouch) because it had been so long since I smogged and I didn't even know sniffers aren't in use anymore. So you might get lucky doing the Tephra mod to clear the CEL and do other trickery to bypass the smog check. I've heard this exists, but I don't have details.

Thanks for the reminder, I need to post up in the For Sale forum to sell the cat, which only has 200 miles at most on it right now.

May I ask where you were able to buy a new cat? I need to smog my 2003 Evo and can't for the life of me find one anywhere for sale, not even used.

Also, I'm currently running a test pipe fitted with a heat shield, so visually it looks stock. No bling under the hood either, stock airbox etc. Would it be crazy to try and smog as-is, given no more sniffers at the smog stations? No CEL, but the gas smelling exhaust fumes are definitely present.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 09:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by megatron
May I ask where you were able to buy a new cat? I need to smog my 2003 Evo and can't for the life of me find one anywhere for sale, not even used.

Also, I'm currently running a test pipe fitted with a heat shield, so visually it looks stock. No bling under the hood either, stock airbox etc. Would it be crazy to try and smog as-is, given no more sniffers at the smog stations? No CEL, but the gas smelling exhaust fumes are definitely present.
Here's a link to the place where I ordered it from. It's not cheap.

https://www.mitsubishiautopartsdirec...erter-mn135566

I'm not totally sure, but if you're running a test pipe, don't you need to have your ECU modded so that it reports altered data over OBD2 to the smog device that they plug in?
Old Jul 12, 2021, 10:14 PM
Evolving Member

Here's a link to the place where I ordered it from. It's not cheap.

https://www.mitsubishiautopartsdirec...erter-mn135566

I'm not totally sure, but if you're running a test pipe, don't you need to have your ECU modded so that it reports altered data over OBD2 to the smog device that they plug in?
Thanks! I'll try to give them a call for availability. Other vendors all say the OEM cat is now unavailable and obsolete. Then I got quoted $1400 from a local muffler shop to install a universal cat.

You're probably right about the ECU. It's tuned for the current setup but don't know what it would show on the OBDII scanner when smogged. I'll continue to search from an OEM cat and hopefully one will popup in the classifieds.

Quick Reply: The California Smog Law(s) Thread [MERGED]