Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Solid Lifter Camshafts

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2009, 08:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Solid Lifter Camshafts

I currently run the Cosworth M2 Mivec cams with upgraded valvesprings & stock hydrallic lifters.

I am interested in upgrading to a set of higher profile solid lifter cams.

Besides the solid type cams & a set of solid lifters, what other components do I need to get? And can I retain my current valvesprings?

The cylinder head gotta be removed to change the lifters & cams or I can do it by opening up the cam cover. Do I need a new head gasket as well?

All advices appreciated.

Thanx in advance

Victor

Last edited by motoxxx55; Jun 8, 2009 at 06:06 PM.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 08:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i'm kinda in the same boat as you and also would like to know
Old Jun 8, 2009, 06:06 PM
Evolving Member

anyone??
Old Jun 8, 2009, 07:23 PM
Evolving Member

i cant answer all your questions but i can tell you that you do not have to remove you head for any of that ... just the valve cover and cams have to come out....
Old Jun 8, 2009, 10:08 PM
Evolved Member

They also DO NOT self adjust. They are not drop in and go, they require set up and maintenance.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 01:50 AM
Evolving Member

Been doing some readings on the BLE solid lifters & they seen to be not so advisable & not necessary unless I wanna do above 10000rpm on the dragstrip.... ....

Hmm... ....
Old Jun 9, 2009, 04:29 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't do it... not for a daily driver. Race car MAYBE.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 05:04 AM
Former Sponsor

ah the solid lifter question.. i love them. just make sure your ready for them or need them. 8k plus RPMs and peak power is where you will see gains over hydraulic cams.

Solid lifters will require setup. do not get the BLE screw type lifter. You should either get the tomei lifters or the BLE Solid machineable lifters (these require more setup)

You will need to run a solid lifter profile camshaft. the opening and closing rates will be slower and softer than a hydraulic profile. Hydraulic profiles on solid lifters will make all kinds of noise.

Finally depending on your springs and the cam you choose will determine whether you can keep the one's you have or upgrade.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 02:37 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
The primary issues I see with solid lifters are the aggravation vs. performance benefit. They need to be adjusted from time to time, and they generate additional noise that may prematurely trigger the knock sensor.

When one considers that there are racers here who generate far more power with HLA valvetrains than any street car in this forum, it's hard to justify switching to solid lifters. I take Greg's opinion with consideration, but I have yet to see something that indicates that the advantages outweigh the disadvantages, especially for a street driven car.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 02:46 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ted B
The primary issues I see with solid lifters are the aggravation vs. performance benefit. They need to be adjusted from time to time, and they generate additional noise that may prematurely trigger the knock sensor.

When one considers that there are racers here who generate far more power with HLA valvetrains than any street car in this forum, it's hard to justify switching to solid lifters. I take Greg's opinion with consideration, but I have yet to see something that indicates that the advantages outweigh the disadvantages, especially for a street driven car.
When you reach the level of 10k + rpms being necessary your probably not a street car and the little maintenance required adjusting the lifters is no aggravation at all compared to the rest of the maintainence for the car..
Old Jun 9, 2009, 03:11 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
I agree. I should have noted that my observation with respect to this question is that at least half of those who inquire aren't dealing with anything remotely close to a 10k rpm race car.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 12:44 AM
Evolving Member

Greg, wat kind of improvements should I be expecting if I switch from my current Cosworth M2 Mivec cams to the GSC S3 280 Mivec cams?

Pls advise me through PM on the S3 280 price, stock status & if possible freight charges to me in Singapore. My postal code is 543273.

Thanx