Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

cam installation gone bad?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2010, 07:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cam installation gone bad?

i took my 9 to krmotorsport here in killeen tx to get my greddy easy cams installed 2 days ago. i went to pick it up yesterday and drove about 4 miles and my car just turned off on me on a stop light. i was like "wtf!". tried to start it and it won't crank. called the guy from krm and he said he doesn't know what's wrong with it so he sent someone to tow me back at the shop. they took a look at it and told me that my cam position sensor is bad. i asked them wh it wwent bad when they said they didn't even touch the area to install the cams and he said its common for evos cps to go bad. i don't know if its ust a coincedence for the cps to go bad or they ****ed something up and are trying to squeeze the juice out of me since i don't know much about it? any help would do guys. opinions and all. thanks!
Old Oct 6, 2010, 08:03 AM
Evolving Member

This doesn't sound good. Did they check the cams? It may even be a broken cam.
BTW, never heard of a CPS going bad on Evo Xs.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 08:14 AM

no they didn't check the cams. i don't even think they test drove my car after installation. they just straight up said the cps are bad. i'm just hoping its nothing major. because i'm not paying out of the *** to pay for something they ****ed up. and its an evo 9 by the way.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 08:15 AM

if it's not tuned it could be a vacuum issue... maybe even a problem with the mivec... did you buy the cams used or new? you should also look into maybe the sensor slipped 180 degrees... i know it's a problem with the 8s, but the 8's just dont turn on i think. low oil pressure?
Old Oct 6, 2010, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You posted in the X section, thats why people think its a 10.

It is possible for a sensor to go bad. Have them check it and replace it with another to double check. SO many things can potentially go wrong on a timing and cam job that it is difficult to narrow down by just saying the car died. If it is a sensor then it should be up and running in a day, if it is longer then you know they did something that had major repercussions.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 12:18 PM

does the car still turn on at least? if it does, what is the idle? did they bleed the lifters? i have seen in some cases that the lifters sieze after and installation... it could happen right away or 5 minutes later. dowell pin on the mivec lined up? sorry for so many questions but kind of hard to help without being there
Old Oct 6, 2010, 10:27 PM

thanks for all the help guys. the problem with it was the battery was dead .. which made the cps read that it was bad. sorry for posting on the evo x i didn't know lol <- newb. thanks again!!!