Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo IV Crankshaft Position Sensor

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2010, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo IV Crankshaft Position Sensor

What's up EvoM,

I thinking my CPS sensor is bad on my Evo IV causing the no-start condition I'm currently having. Is there anyone that has a pic of one installed? I've been searching for DAYS and posted on about 3 different forums. Nothing

Maybe someone here can help me...this is crazy, the car has been down for weeks while I checked fuel, air, spark etc etc. If it's the CPS it'll be a huge breath of fresh air I just can't see the damn thing when I'm looking around the crank

Thanks for any input on this matter,
It'd be much appreciated
Old Oct 26, 2010, 06:02 PM

It's the only black thingy with a wire running from the crank sprocket area....assuming you did pull of the timing belt covers to see it.....right?
You said you checked for spark.....any?
Did a scantest?
If you do get down at the crank sprocket check for damage on the sensor and the sensing wheel.....(and that would be another story)
If anything, you can use E8 parts.

check this link with tons of pics......

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...placement.html

thumbs up to those uk lads...

Last edited by raulthode; Oct 26, 2010 at 06:07 PM.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 06:36 PM

Thanks for the input!

Name:  Untitled-1.png
Views: 0
Size:  253.4 KB

This is what the technical manual says and the pic from the side is one I grabbed from the net. All I removed is the cam gear cover, so I need to remove crank pulley to remove another cover to look at the CPS Sensor??? This is all I see when I look at the side of the engine, does that lower cover need to come off? That pic in the manual just doesn't add up.

Thanks for the link, I'm sorry maybe I'm just out of it right now or too stressed but I just can't see any images of the CPS in any of those pics from the timing belt change.

Ahhhh this is so frustrating!!!!!! ....It's a Japanese Evo 4, the scanners out here won't read it, there is paperclip trick I can try but I'm currently in America, can't mess w/the car until I get back. As far as spark, I did get spark from both coil packs and wires, fuel coming to the rail, and even pulled the injectors to verify they were spraying.

I just want to check this so called "senor/plate/crank sprocket" area so bad, I would love to know if it's crank walk/the sensor or what just so I can move on already!!! The manual doesn't give me S***T but that pic up there, nothing else on even how to remove it or anything. Wow. I just wanna get this thing running again or get this engine out for a build already. Sorry....cars been down a month and I don't know where the hell this sensor is to replace and check for crankwalk. I live in Spain, there isn't anyone withing a 1000 miles who even knows what a 4G63 really is, let alone the ability to touch one; the forums and my tools is all got.

A lovely welcome to the Evo I suppose

Last edited by Dom_J; Oct 26, 2010 at 06:42 PM.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by Dom_J
Thanks for the input!

This is what the technical manual says and the pic from the side is one I grabbed from the net. All I removed is the cam gear cover, so I need to remove crank pulley to remove another cover to look at the CPS Sensor??? This is all I see when I look at the side of the engine, does that lower cover need to come off? That pic in the manual just doesn't add up.

Thanks for the link, I'm sorry maybe I'm just out of it right now or too stressed but I just can't see any images of the CPS in any of those pics from the timing belt change.

Ahhhh this is so frustrating!!!!!! ....It's a Japanese Evo 4, the scanners out here won't read it, there is paperclip trick I can try but I'm currently in America, can't mess w/the car until I get back. As far as spark, I did get spark from both coil packs and wires, fuel coming to the rail, and even pulled the injectors to verify they were spraying.

I just want to check this so called "senor/plate/crank sprocket" area so bad, I would love to know if it's crank walk/the sensor or what just so I can move on already!!! The manual doesn't give me S***T but that pic up there, nothing else on even how to remove it or anything. Wow. I just wanna get this thing running again or get this engine out for a build already. Sorry....cars been down a month and I don't know where the hell this sensor is to replace and check for crankwalk. I live in Spain, there isn't anyone withing a 1000 miles who even knows what a 4G63 really is, let alone the ability to touch one; the forums and my tools is all got.

A lovely welcome to the Evo I suppose
Halfway down the the thread, under point number 14, you'll come across the the group of 4 pics that have the sprocket, sensor wheel and timing belt tensioner depicted on them....it's on the bottom right pic that you see the sensor.....of course the crank sprocket is removed...

the diagram you have shows the correct position of the sensor, but sadly IT IS under all of the covers, and yes, you DO have to remove the PULLEY first.....

Time for you to invest in evoscan....

Last edited by raulthode; Oct 27, 2010 at 03:26 AM.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by raulthode
Halfway down the the thread, under point number 14, you'll come across the the group of 4 pics that have the sprocket, sensor wheel and timing belt tensioner depicted on them....it's on the bottom right pic that you see the sensor.....of course the crank sprocket is removed...

the diagram you have shows the correct position of the sensor, but sadly IT IS under all of the covers, and yes, you DO have to remove the PULLEY first.....

Time for you to invest in evoscan....
Thanks for that! I do see it...a little more calm and relaxed now, I'm gonna kill my dream on this one and ask; Is there a way to do this by ONLY removing the crank pulley on the Evo IV engine?? I really didn't wanna take off all that just to get to that sensor.

Definitely time for evoscan...shopping prices right now. Hopefully inspecting for crankwalk should be pretty straight forward, first time wrenching on the 4G63t.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Dom_J
Is there a way to do this by ONLY removing the crank pulley on the Evo IV engine?? I really didn't wanna take off all that just to get to that sensor.
No other way....