Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

How can you tell if you have a Front LSD?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2014, 05:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How can you tell if you have a Front LSD?

Last thing I want to do is take the transfer case apart. But I am curious if I still have the LSD since I bought the car used. What ways can I do to know if I still have the LSD?

I had a 2013 Subaru BRZ and the way we know when the LSD acts up is if we turn the wheel all the way and start moving like how you would normally do at a gas station, the rear would 'thunk' a few and that's when the LSD is engaging. The EVO does not do this(even at reverse) so I am curious.

ps
I have an 04 VIII rs, I know these cars come with front LSD from factory
Old Jun 25, 2014, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

The Evo doesn't "thunk" because the USDM market had the clutches of the rear differential arranged improperly for some strange reason... So when people started realizing this and rearranging their differentials, the clunking began.

As for the front LSD, I don't think Evos came with a front LSD, that's why people installed the Wavetrac and Quaife front LSDs... Do you mean ACD?
Old Jun 25, 2014, 06:35 PM
Evolving Member

I was always in the impression that the "RS" models are the only models that come with front LSD, where-as the other ones with the ACD dont have front LSD.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by leemaster
I was always in the impression that the "RS" models are the only models that come with front LSD, where-as the other ones with the ACD dont have front LSD.
You're correct, they came with the helical LSD. The USDM Evos are so confusing... One model for the first year has nothing, the next year it has something but missing something else and so on...

The RS did have ACD and LSD.

I guess take it around a track and see how it feels?
Old Jun 25, 2014, 07:00 PM
Evolving Member

She wont be running at the track anytime soon, needs a re-tune and the earliest would be the 23rd of July.

Mines dont have ACD, just LSD(Hopefully the hippie who had it before me didnt remove it). 04 RS
Old Jun 25, 2014, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
USDM 2005 MR / RS along with all 2006-2007 ix's had ACD. Those all had/have the front helical diff. ANY 2003-2004 RS had the front helical diff as well.

All 2003 -2007 VIII and Ix' have the rear clutch and plate diff. And yes the rear diff came from Mitsu with the plates deliberately re-arranged wrong to avoid noises and warranty claims. Easily fixed by doing the plate re-arrangement on all VIII and IX. Proper arrangement is in the Mitsu service manual.

The Wave trac can be installed in ACD or non acd cars.

The ACD cars with the front helical diff do pull thru corners a bit better than the non front diff cars but the helical diff does not provide traction like the rear LSD with proper plate re-arrangement. Clutch and plate are mcuh better. Wave Trac is also pretty decent.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 10:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WRC-LVR
USDM 2005 MR / RS along with all 2006-2007 ix's had ACD. Those all had/have the front helical diff. ANY 2003-2004 RS had the front helical diff as well.

All 2003 -2007 VIII and Ix' have the rear clutch and plate diff. And yes the rear diff came from Mitsu with the plates deliberately re-arranged wrong to avoid noises and warranty claims. Easily fixed by doing the plate re-arrangement on all VIII and IX. Proper arrangement is in the Mitsu service manual.

The Wave trac can be installed in ACD or non acd cars.

The ACD cars with the front helical diff do pull thru corners a bit better than the non front diff cars but the helical diff does not provide traction like the rear LSD with proper plate re-arrangement. Clutch and plate are mcuh better. Wave Trac is also pretty decent.
It can be installed, but wouldn't that take the place of the acd diff?
Old May 21, 2015, 11:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bringing this back up for more questions. When looking at my window sticker.. it shows front and rear LSD included. but yet I am seeing others say that this has never been included in USA models?

Someone help with the confusion. thanks!

Old May 22, 2015, 12:07 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
03-04 Evo had rear lsd only, and intercooler sprayer
04 Evo RS had front and rear LSD, no ACD, also had intercooler sprayer
05+ Evo MR and RS and base/gsr had front and rear lsd and ACD. No intercooler sprayer.