Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

AWC hydraulic pump issue

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2012, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AWC hydraulic pump issue

Earlier this month I ran into a problem with my AWC hydraulic unit, and would like to pass on some info to the community.

On my way into work one exceptionally cold morning, (temp was around -25C), my hydraulic unit failed. Here's the timeline of events. I started the car up and let it warm up for around 5 minutes, like I normally do. Like other days when its been this cold, my tranny was very finicky, so I took care to not push it too hard. I got onto the highway, eased the car up to speed, and then drove about 10km at the same speed. I then needed to slow down as I came through a small town. I stopped at a red light, then as I was accelerating at the green, my service AWC system light came on, throwing code C161E. There is a TSB about this code about it coming on at very cold temps, a reflash. Did the reflash, no help. Diagnosis showed that the hydraulic unit was finished (didn't come on at all, even when applying voltage directly to it). Warranty covered the unit, and they acknowledged that it is a known issue.

We believe the cause was most likely related to the cold, especially since I drove very slowly for a short distance, and then at highway speed for a long distance with little change in speed or direction (this type of driving does not activate the pump). Once the pump finally was given the signal to turn on (accelerating from a stop at a slight bend in the road), the hydraulic fluid was so cold it would have had the viscosity of peanut butter, which the pump couldn't push through the lines. This caused the pump to overload and that's all she wrote.

Preventative measures? On very cold days, drive in such a way that the pump activates from time to time, for very short periods of time if possible. This allows the fluid to warm up properly. You can see this happening on the MID on the S-AWC screen.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 06:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On the other forum there is a thread that has been started compiling S-AWC pump failures. It seems a LOT of them are located in Canada. These pumps are and always have been extremely weak. Unfortunately there aren't many solutions out there. Check out the thread on the other forum. It's got some good info.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 09:51 AM

out of curiosity what year and how many miles. Mine just went on me.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 05:15 PM

I have a 2009 ralliart and my awc pump went on me. I got the part today it cost me 1452.00 after shipping. will be installing it this Fri. I was saving up for my UR exhaust and a tune. I hate set backs.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 10:08 AM

my GSR had it's hydraulic pump fail. TWICE!! The dealer replaced it once, then it went out again a few weeks later. i live in Texas so it wasn't because of any weather conditions. I'm starting to think it's just another Lemon car
Old Sep 11, 2014, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Mitsulover
out of curiosity what year and how many miles. Mine just went on me.
Mine went out. 08 gsr with around 50-51,000 miles
Old Sep 11, 2014, 04:38 PM

I have a 2011 MR with 38000 miles and my AWC pump went out on me last Friday. Took it to the dealer, who stated the pump shorted out. It is now a week and still waiting on parts to arrive, service adviser stated it was okay to drive. Is it okay to drive?
Sorry forgot to mention I am in Miami Florida, dont think mine was cold related.

Last edited by Jah E; Sep 11, 2014 at 04:41 PM. Reason: forgot to mention I am from Miami Florida
Old Sep 13, 2014, 12:10 PM
Evolving Member

ya it's fine to drive on a dead pump