Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Locked Steering Column

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2010, 06:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Locked Steering Column

I bought my 2009 GTS in September and withing a month and a half I lost one of the two fobs. New Year's Eve, I lost the other one...

Had to get the vehicle towed to Mitsu dealer for new fobs and reprogramming - over $700.

The problem is it's been five days and they've done nothing with it. They said that after the vehicle was towed, they couldn't move it because the steering column is locked and they can't figure out how to unlock it. They have the steering assembly apart and are waiting for Mitsubishi to get back to them.

Nice car, but not sure if Mitsubishi dealership knows what they're doing...
Old Jan 19, 2010, 06:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Did they try pulling on the steering wheel one way or the other while trying to turn the key? If the steering wheel is locked, the key will not turn sometimes until you pull a little bit on the steering wheel.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Bobster22388
Did they try pulling on the steering wheel one way or the other while trying to turn the key? If the steering wheel is locked, the key will not turn sometimes until you pull a little bit on the steering wheel.
I just got off the phone with the Service Manager whose been there for over 50 years and he said that they've tried that and still waiting for headquarters to get back to him.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 09:15 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Lancer_GTS_740
New Year's Eve, I lost the other one...
Haha, we all know how that happened... did you check the bushes in the backyard where you were throwing up?
Old Jan 20, 2010, 07:16 AM

Hm, interesting. My wife's GTS has been VERY stubborn a time or two. I'm talking putting some serious force to pull the wheel left, but I'm sure the dealership has tried that.

Please update this thread with your results, I'm very interested in seeing how the dealership handles this. Best of luck to you!
Old Jan 20, 2010, 02:20 PM

I called up the Service Manager, he said they had to order a "switch". So I asked him "A switch? You mean the ignition assembly?". He responded, "Oh yeah, the ignition assembly.''

I need to update the GPS software. It's 2006 version and missing some new highway intersects. Can't trust these guys to do it.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

They call themselves techs.... you should be able to take the harness connected to the ign switch and jump the right pins in order to power up the ECU's to do programming for the new fobs. Then after the fobs are programmed, they can turn the ign switch to unlock the wheel with the new programmed fobs

Another thought...can they not order the key by vin? Will it be the same cut of key to use the physical key?
Old Jan 22, 2010, 05:02 AM
Evolved Member

fob keys come with a particular key code. With out that code I doubt you would be able to pull it up from the vin, otherwise any joker could hack into your car just by looking at your vin.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

I was talking about getting the physical key from the VIN.

From my understanding. He lost both keys, so you can't turn the ign on to program new key fobs into the module. You need battery power from the ign switch to power up the modules so they can hook up MUT III via the OBD connector and program.

If this isn't the case then I misread.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 04:57 AM
Evolved Member

When I first got my car I tried with just the metal key. From what I remember you can get into the car with it, but the alarm goes off unless you have the fob, when I stuck the key into the ignition, I dont remember getting it to turn far enough to turn the alarm off, or be able to the acc position for power. I'd have to try it out later on to confirm.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 07:48 PM

well that actually happend to me about 2 months ago. ive got an 08 es and one day in the parking lot i inserted the key into the ignition the damn thing locked up i tried for an hour to get it loose or turn till i had to call roadside, the guy even thought he could unlock it, nothing so he towed it to the dealership. it was on a friday which sucked. the tech came out pluged his laptop in and said the ignition/anti-theft device locked up and he had to order an new assembly. i got a rental and 5 days later i had my car back. no charge it was covered by mitsubishi! no problems since.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 07:24 AM

After a week and a half, the problem has been fixed. They installed a new ignition assembly. This is the second ignition assembly replacement in three months. The first one was replaced when the vehicle shut down and locked up while a remote starter was attempted to be installed.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 07:41 AM

And oh...

The two fobs, keys, and programming set me back $744...

I was supposed to get two 3-button fobs, but instead one was a two button...

Parts guy said one of the fobs was "mis-marked"...

Back to the dealership...

Last edited by Lancer_GTS_740; Feb 1, 2010 at 07:43 AM.