Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

2nd gear is grinding on my lancer 2003

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2015, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2nd gear is grinding on my lancer 2003

i really need help on this cause dont know what it could be. I have a 2003 lancer and my clutch was completely gone so i bought a new master cylinder a new slave cylinder and a brand new clutch plate inside the transmision. I got a mecanic to put it in for me and when i got the car back i notice that going from 1st to 2nd gear it makes a grinding noise that is concerning me and i dont know why. I though it was that the car was regulated with a big rev rate so i brought that down to a 1k rev when i start the car. But it still does the noise,wich it is only when i go from first to 2nd gear and vise versa all the other gears work completly fine can someone please give me some opinion on this problem? Could it be problem in the transmission or a bad reguleted cluth pedal?? please i really need my everyday ride fixed.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
I replied to your other post in the 04-06 ralliart section.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
I replied to your other post in the 04-06 ralliart section.
But i bought a brand clutch plate - master and slave cylinder nee too how could it be the clutch?? And whats the synchros? Do you have any suggestion for me to stop that grinding noise?? I really appretiate your help
Old Aug 29, 2015, 05:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mike.g69
But i bought a brand clutch plate - master and slave cylinder nee too how could it be the clutch?? And whats the synchros? Do you have any suggestion for me to stop that grinding noise?? I really appretiate your help
bleed and adjust the clutch first...

what kind of transmission oil did you put in there after the clutch change?

google "transmission synchronizers" for more information, to replace them you need to take the transmission apart and disassemble the shafts...
Old Aug 29, 2015, 05:49 AM

bleed and adjust the clutch first...

what kind of transmission oil did you put in there after the clutch change?

google "transmission synchronizers" for more information, to replace them you need to take the transmission apart and disassemble the shafts...
Ima ask the mechanic and see what oil he put in there and i se what it is but in order to fix that grinding noise would i have to replace the whole synchronous train or just ona for the 2nd gear??
Old Aug 30, 2015, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Ima ask the mechanic and see what oil he put in there and i se what it is but in order to fix that grinding noise would i have to replace the whole synchronous train or just ona for the 2nd gear??
if it's only second gear then you would replace that for sure, but when it's apart you would measure the gap on all the synchros and replace any that were close to being worn out...1st and second are dual synchronized.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 07:57 AM

if it's only second gear then you would replace that for sure, but when it's apart you would measure the gap on all the synchros and replace any that were close to being worn out...1st and second are dual synchronized.
He told me tu put automatic trasmision oil in but why automatic. And ima wait untill he can get me the clutch pedal adjusted can it be that?? If not i would have to bring the trasmision down.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

He told me tu put automatic trasmision oil in but why automatic. And ima wait untill he can get me the clutch pedal adjusted can it be that?? If not i would have to bring the trasmision down.
you can't put automatic transmission oil in a manual...you need 75w85 or 75w90 or similar GL-4 specification gear oil...my recommendation is Redline MTL...
Old Dec 9, 2015, 05:47 PM

Just put my new clutch in and the same happens 70% of the time from 1st to 2nd and rarely from 2nd to 3rd. When I typically shift between 2.75 and 3 it grinds a little before it sticks but when I increase it to 3.5 I have no grinding. I don't know the specifics but that's what I've found to temporarily hold me until I do have time to look at it more thoroughly. It's my daily too :/