Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

My Evo at the Dealer 2nd gear grinding. PLEASE ADVISE ME

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2004, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Evo at the Dealer 2nd gear grinding. PLEASE ADVISE ME

Over the weeked I was driving home `, avrage speed, avrage driving....and I hear a ticking noise when costing down the street between 15-50 mph. even when the clutch is in.

On Sunday, I was down shifting to second gear it didn't go in, 'I tried it again, and it grinded, I pressed the clutch in and still grinded. I every time I down shift to second gearregardless of the RPM it will grind. but not when up shifting.

I took it to San Diego Mitsubishi, the sevice adviser drives it, comes back and tells me it is abuse and I was " Hot Roding " the car.

He tells me that if they take the tranyy out and look at it and find out that is is "abuse" I will have to pay the dealer ship $800 to put it back together ( not including fixing the problem ).

I don't know what to do really other than wait for the Mitsubishi factory guy that is going to decide if it was abuse or not.

If you can help me write me back talalhz@yahoo.com

Thanks.

Talal
Old Feb 11, 2004, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

well is it abuse? do you race? if your one of those morons who say they didnt abuse it but went to the drag strip, i say you need a new brain. if you KNOW you didnt do any clutch drops etc, then you shouldnt be afraid.
Old Feb 11, 2004, 01:49 PM
Evolving Member

how many miles do you have on the tranny ? its very hard for them to proof that you abused the tranny. Mistui has problems with their gears grinding so if they wanna be a d!ck about it, call the 1800 number in the back of your owner manual and dispute the claim. They are using scare tatics with all this BS just so you dont put your car in for a warranty claim. I would file a complaint against the dealership because if he test drove your car and immediatly say its been abused, he is either the GOD of Mechanics or GOD of Cars. tell him to fu(k off and get another technician.

God damn these mitsu dealers.
Old Feb 11, 2004, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for your response. My car just turned 9k miles, never been drag raced.

I just talked to them on the phone and they told me that the trany was just taken out of the car and now they will disassamble the gears any the syncros".

They also told me the guy who could deny my the warranty is the service manager not a factory rep.

Please guys hep me out what do you think I can do, other than talk crap like the guy above told me .

T
Old Feb 14, 2004, 11:49 PM
Evolved Member

I have the same probem/noise as well.
I have 4500miles on my car..
When I ever downshift to 2nd.. I hear the noise.. only when i downshift to 2nd...

I am afraid to take it to the dealer because it took off the restrictor couple months ago and put the ss clutch line..

please keep us updated about the problem!

thanks a lot
Memo
Old Feb 15, 2004, 05:26 AM
Evolving Member

God this **** is getting old. I honestly regret buying the evo, and would get an sti instead if I could do it over again. Mitsu doesn't want to back their product then they can kiss my ***. I took my car to a dealer for a problem with only 35 miles on the clock a while back, and they said they’d have to examine if it was abuse!!! They said this to me, the guy who didn’t drive the car for the first 2 weeks after buying it just so he could clay bar it and put 20 coats of zaino on, and who lets it warm up to operating temp every day, and who lets it cool down for 1 minute every damn time I start the car, and who drove like a 90 year old grandma for the first 100 miles, and who had the car ****ing flat bedded home so I wouldn't have to drive on the highway!! Don't let them threaten you. Tell them the facts, and that you will take it to court if necessary. I still can't believe a company could suck so much. I should have listened to everyone saying they'd never buy another mitsu, but I just had to have it...

Last edited by bluevilevo8; Feb 15, 2004 at 05:30 AM.
Old Feb 15, 2004, 05:42 AM
Evolved Member

Why does everybody blame Mitsubishi for the dealer service problems? Blame the ****-tards who don't know how to drive or abuse the car and then try to claim "bad parts, car etc.".
Old Feb 15, 2004, 06:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
First we don't know how people drive Thats true, BUT HOW COME MITSU dealer can tell that the car was abused? right they see us young drives...thats why - LIke EVO IS A PREFECT CAR and NEVER BRAKES... every car brakes
Old Feb 15, 2004, 08:26 AM
Evolving Member

the dealerships are really big ******. Yes, i have to agree somewhat with Cirrusly Evolvd about people beating the **** out of thier car and then taking it in for "warranty work" but I'd have to say 80% of the complaints are true issues has got to deal with. The Evo IS BY NO MEANS a perfect car, it has problems and wish would frikin come to thier senses and deal with them instead of blaming the driver 100% of the time when something goes wrong.

I owned a 2000 Eclipse 6 cyl. manual and beat the living **** out of that car, did not mod anything on it, and after 58,000 miles NOTHING WAS BROKEN (yes, omg, the stock factory clutch was still in tact ;-p) -- hell I traded that car in for the Evo and got close to 13,000 for that car. Now, I will say I drive the Evo hard, but I do not BEAT it like i did my eclipse and I have had it in the dealership 5 times now because of problems that have crept up, and 4 of the times they basically told me "Quit beating the car" or "you hit something very hard". thats when I got fed up (almost went postal on a service rep. LoL) and called the 1-800 number and now I am getting the results I expected in the first place. I still love my Evo, by far the most pleasureable car I have ever owned, but has got to get off thier *** and do something about these legitamate problems.

my .02 (sorry for rambling)
Old Feb 15, 2004, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

"GO FORTH AND MOD"

When I saw the video I remember the guy saying those exact words. Now, how the hell can they say such a thing and when you do mod the car the dealer won't honor mods under warranty. As far as I'm concerened any lawyer can beat this. Show the video to the judge and Mitsu will have to warranty all moded Evos.

Mitsu hasn't given me **** yet. I know my warranty is void and it doesnt bother me. What does is Mitsu telling us to mod the car in the "MUST WATCH VIDEO BEFOR YOU BUY THIS CAR" and not honoring repiars.

Bad Business.

Last edited by stvbreal; Feb 15, 2004 at 08:45 AM.
Old Feb 15, 2004, 11:07 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Cirrusly Evolvd
Why does everybody blame Mitsubishi for the dealer service problems? Blame the ****-tards who don't know how to drive or abuse the car and then try to claim "bad parts, car etc.".

That's part of the problem, but it's not the real issue. Mitsu markets their car as a performance-driving machine, and then tries to **** you up the *** by claiming abuse even when you drive like an old woman. Then when they see they will have to warranty a problem they claim it's normal and refuse to take a look at it. Not only that, they all say "modding the car in any way will void the warranty". Even though this is illegal, I feel I cannot mod my car now, as it would give them another out to screw me. To anyone considering an evo and who enjoys having a warranty, learn from my mistake; don’t get it. I hope Mitsubishi goes out of business. You spend all your savings on their flagship car, and they treat you like a criminal. Damn am I sorry I bought this car from them.
Old Feb 15, 2004, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

A lot of you sound like a broken record...."Mitsu owes me everything for buying thier car..." And to put it mildly, it isn't difficult to tell if a car has been abused. A clutch does not get a glazed look to it if it's been treated properly...a differential does not shred its gears if you start off slowly in 1st gear. Go to a Chevrolet dealer and you will hardly see anyone complaining that they can't get service on a Corvette. It's a performance oriented vehicle but those buyers know one thing...the warranty covers faults created by improper assembly or bad parts, not for replacing clutches and diffs from driving hard.

Now granted this is a performance base vehicle...but READ YOUR WARRANTY STATEMENT! Go ahead, post it word for word and it will tell you that this vehicle is for road use...not racing, not dragging and not for stomping on every Honduh on the road.

I have yet to find a dealer who has said "modding your Evo will void your warranty". And that has come from the Service Manager, not the sales person.

Bottom line, if you hate the company so much...sell the damn car and go buy something that performs as well for $30K...oh yea...most people here didn't want a Scooby.
Old Feb 15, 2004, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

"I have yet to find a dealer who has said "modding your Evo will void your warranty".

i have yet to find a dealer that DID NOT say, 'modding your Evo will void your warranty".... and i've been to 4 so far.

guess u got it good out there.
Old Feb 15, 2004, 04:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Cirrusly Evolvd

Bottom line, if you hate the company so much...sell the damn car and go buy something that performs as well for $30K...oh yea...most people here didn't want a Scooby.
You wanna take it off my hands for 30k?
Old Feb 15, 2004, 11:04 PM
Evolved Member

Hey, my dealer said you can mod and if they find that the part you put on caused the problem, you must pay. That's fair.

As for grinding gears, that can happen on any manual car. They can tell by the extent of the damage if it was abuse or not. A low milage new car should not have damaged gears if driven properly. It could either be A: raced or driven hard or B: inexperienced driver and unintentional. These cars are built tough. Stop blaming Mitsubishi for everything that goes wrong and start looking at how you are driving. Go to Subaru with an abused tranny and see if they gladly replace it. Yeah, right.