Notices

Throttle Body Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2012, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay, I'm confused....

Am I reading that the stock 04-06 RA has a 60mm TB and there's two different TB's (one 63mm and one 65mm) that will fit it....??

I've got an 04 RA and I just got an RRM ported IM. I'd like to get my hands on a brand new 65mm TB if possible - I'm just confused with the info in this thread. What vehicle does the 65 come on...?? I wanna make certain that it fits for sure.....
Old Jun 6, 2012, 11:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cbrozic23
Okay, I'm confused....

Am I reading that the stock 04-06 RA has a 60mm TB and there's two different TB's (one 63mm and one 65mm) that will fit it....??

I've got an 04 RA and I just got an RRM ported IM. I'd like to get my hands on a brand new 65mm TB if possible - I'm just confused with the info in this thread. What vehicle does the 65 come on...?? I wanna make certain that it fits for sure.....
(63mm TBs)
2003–present Mitsubishi Pajero (aka Montero/Shogun) (63mm)
2004–present Mitsubishi Endeavor (63mm)
2005–2008 Mitsubishi 380 (63mm)

(65mm TBs)
2004–2009 Mitsubishi Galant Ralliart (65mm)
2006–present Mitsubishi Eclipse GT (65mm) (MUST BE GT, GS is 60mm like our stock TB)
Old Jun 6, 2012, 01:44 PM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Have you installed the rrm intake manifold? Because they do NOT port the tb flange which needs to be done to get the most out of the upgraded TB and prevent CEL
Old Jun 6, 2012, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by lanzerralliart
Have you installed the rrm intake manifold? Because they do NOT port the tb flange which needs to be done to get the most out of the upgraded TB and prevent CEL

No not yet. It 'looks' like it's been ground a bit though - maybe that's what it looks like in stock form.

I'd like to get the 65mm TB. Should I make sure the IM TB port is machined to 65mm to match the TB.....???
Old Jun 6, 2012, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Tw3NTy0n3
(63mm TBs)
2003–present Mitsubishi Pajero (aka Montero/Shogun) (63mm)
2004–present Mitsubishi Endeavor (63mm)
2005–2008 Mitsubishi 380 (63mm)

(65mm TBs)
2004–2009 Mitsubishi Galant Ralliart (65mm)
2006–present Mitsubishi Eclipse GT (65mm) (MUST BE GT, GS is 60mm like our stock TB)

WTF....

The one for the Galant is over $900 dealer price!

But the one for the Eclipse GT is about $260 and it's from the same dealer.

Weird!
Old Jun 11, 2012, 05:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
welcome to the world of dealership pricing...lol

"oh its the same thing, but thats a more expensive car...?...yea just crank the price up...it'll be fine, people will buy it anyway..."
Old Jun 13, 2012, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I've had the 65mm on for quite a while no cel but annoying whistle at about 2krpm my teacher says its a air leak but I've read it's normal and even sprayed propane near the TB and it didn't change the way it idled.. Notice mostly high end power Freeway speeds
Old Jun 13, 2012, 05:52 PM

I haven't ported my manifold yet, and I have the 65mm tb on my 4g69 eclipse and never had a problem. I will say though, without a tune you will lose power.

You gain throttle response with or without a tune.

The only thing I've noticed with mine is a whistling / swoosh sound.

that's due to the tb port being slightly bigger than the manifold.

Last edited by lanzerralliart; Jun 14, 2012 at 04:49 AM.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 04:52 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sa215ol
I will say though, without a tune you will lose power.
Do you have any dyno before and after tune runs? Became without it that's a pretty bold statement considering most people feel the difference right away. I know I did.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 05:02 AM
Evolved Member

i wouldnt say u loose power w/out a tune if u have the larger tb...id def say that you don't get the full power potential of it tho...
but then again i dont have a tb nor a tune...lol
(damn...i hate being broke)
Old Jun 14, 2012, 06:29 AM

I don't have my own personal dyno, but on club 4g, (eclipse 4g forum) it's a known fact where numerous people have dyno'd and had power loss. The ecu tries to over adjust for it causing you to lose top end hp. Everyone will notice better throttle response, which will make it *feel* like you gained power and tq but in reality until you tune you won't gain anything.

Also, I did a before 0-120mph run and a after 0-120 mph run, on the same day, that I did the swap and on the same road, and it took me about 1.5-2 seconds longer to make it to 120.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by nekkidlad
i wouldnt say u loose power w/out a tune if u have the larger tb...id def say that you don't get the full power potential of it tho...
but then again i dont have a tb nor a tune...lol
(damn...i hate being broke)

6g75 tb's go for about $140-$150 on c4g all the time. If you're looking for one I'll keep and eye out for you.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Every time you disconnect the battery does the car have to relearn the TB again? When I ran at the track my times WERE worse 16.2 my best but I forgot to tighten a intake hose clamp after the maf but no cel So idk I'll go again soon
Old Jun 14, 2012, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sa215ol
6g75 tb's go for about $140-$150 on c4g all the time. If you're looking for one I'll keep and eye out for you.
i'd get the smaller one of the 2...but for quite a while i dont have nor will i have the $...but thanks for the offer..i can't afford the tune or even a piggyback to get the full potential(like i'd want)

i need to get the valves adjusted(still...been like 3 yrs and still havet gotten around to it...grr) also i'd like to get my exhaust fixed if not upgraded - the flexpipe is making a horrible rattling noise at certain rpms...all the mesh on it is gone, i tried to put some hoseclamps on it trying to quite it down but it didn't do anything...i ended up putting like 12 hoseclamps on it(making it almost a solid pipe w/ hoseclamps for a while)and it did quiet it some, but still there and still annoying...i ended up taking them off kuzz everytime i put the car in the air at work i looked at it and it loo0ked awful...i do have some scrap pipe laying around at work so i could cut it off and have a new flexpipe put in or just put a solid piece in instead of a flex pipe...

or i could just get a new downpipe(and for that price i'd just get an upgraded one...and then a larger cat back exhaust also...lol)..then i'd be even more broke....er...

and im pretty sure the trans is making a noise...(could just be me thinking the worst so i can rebuild the trans and in the process drop in a lsd tho...lol)...wich i can't afford to fix anyway...

and also i have a loud annoying squeak from the rear(i beleive it is the ctrl arm/s) and i'd rather get my car to normal condition before modding it...

and it has nothing to do w/ actually fixing the car but i still wanna tint my windows...lol...(i may just do this sometime this summer...and tint them myself for under half the price of a shop...(just watch...6 months down it'll be all bubbly and peeling...so ill take it off and go to a shop...lol)

but enough about my car...it sucks to be broke...

Last edited by nekkidlad; Jun 14, 2012 at 09:52 AM.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

i think about selling it all the time....but then i remember its almost paid off...so then i go well...w/e ill keep it till its paid off, then start to fix/mod it...
not to mention i dont have a place to work on it at home...nor the time....
and at work im under time issues...can be in only after work, out by closing time(ussually about an hour or less)....and i get in trouble if i can't finish it by close...

and did i say being broke sucks..lol

Quick Reply: Throttle Body Upgrade