Notices

Throttle Body Upgrade

 
Old Mar 15, 2011, 08:54 PM
  #1  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
DanVM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Aldergrove, Canada
Posts: 19
Likes: 0
Recieved 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Throttle Body Upgrade

So it is a well-known fact that our throttle body can be upgraded to the slightly larger Endeavor/Galant 4 cylinder unit and even up to the Eclipse V6/Galant Ralliart model.

I want to do this myself, but I would rather have some instruction to go by. So I was hoping that someone could help me (and others) out by making a how-to.

Please and thank-you.
DanVM is offline  
Old Mar 15, 2011, 08:59 PM
  #2  
Evolved Member
iTrader: (21)
 
Raikiri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,720
Likes: 0
Recieved 14 Likes on 14 Posts
take out 4 bolts, unplug the throttle control, unhook the coolant lines, take out throttle body. install new one following reverse steps using same gasket
Raikiri is offline  
Old Mar 15, 2011, 09:16 PM
  #3  
Evolving Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Reading, Pa
Posts: 340
Likes: 0
Recieved 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Only took me about 10 min. I already had the coolent bypass so it was just intake, sensor, and bolts. One of the best mods i did.
ralliart610 is offline  
Old Mar 16, 2011, 06:41 AM
  #4  
Evolving Member
iTrader: (4)
 
lancerralli06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 355
Likes: 0
Recieved 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Raikiri pretty much said it all.

.5) First disconnect the battery.
1) I took my front strut bar off so you have a bit more room.
2) Then unplug the throttle position sensor.
3) Unbolt the 4 bolts on the throttle body.
3.5) Take the stock gasket out because you will reuse this with the new one.
4) Slide the hose clamps down the 2 coolant hoses on the throttle body.
5) Next, Take a vise grip to squeeze one hose and lock it when you pull it off, then take a pliers and wiggle the other one off while holding it squeezed as well so no coolant comes out.
6) Set the old TB aside and set the new TB in its place.
7) Connect the coolant hoses and slide the hose clamps in place.
8)Reuse the stock gasket and use the 4 bolts to bolt the new TB in place.
9) Plug in the TPS.
10) Let the car idle for like 15min
11. You should be good to go!
lancerralli06 is offline  
Old Mar 18, 2011, 10:45 AM
  #5  
Evolving Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Tw3NTy0n3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Beaumont, CA
Posts: 250
Likes: 0
Recieved 1 Like on 1 Post
If this some how gets turned into a "how to" as the OP suggested, we should note which TB's we can upgrade to:

2003–present Mitsubishi Pajero (aka Montero/Shogun) (63mm)
2004–present Mitsubishi Endeavor (63mm)
2004–2009 Mitsubishi Galant Ralliart (65mm)
2006–present Mitsubishi Eclipse GT (65mm)
2005–2008 Mitsubishi 380 (63mm)

Our stock TB is 60mm.
Tw3NTy0n3 is offline  
Old Mar 18, 2011, 07:04 PM
  #6  
Evolved Member
iTrader: (21)
 
Raikiri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,720
Likes: 0
Recieved 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Remember the stock inlet to the IM is only 63mm. Unless you're ported then don't get the 65mm TB
Raikiri is offline  
Old Mar 19, 2011, 08:16 PM
  #7  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
DanVM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Aldergrove, Canada
Posts: 19
Likes: 0
Recieved 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tw3NTy0n3 View Post
If this some how gets turned into a "how to" as the OP suggested, we should note which TB's we can upgrade to:

2003–present Mitsubishi Pajero (aka Montero/Shogun) (63mm)
2004–present Mitsubishi Endeavor (63mm)
2004–2009 Mitsubishi Galant Ralliart (65mm)
2006–present Mitsubishi Eclipse GT (65mm)
2005–2008 Mitsubishi 380 (63mm)

Our stock TB is 60mm.

I'm pretty sure Outlander can be added to that list. I believe its 63mm. It better be because thats what I'm planning on getting this coming week.
DanVM is offline  
Old Mar 20, 2011, 09:54 AM
  #8  
Evolved Member
iTrader: (8)
 
soulesswarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: fallbrook
Posts: 964
Likes: 0
Recieved 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DanVM View Post
I'm pretty sure Outlander can be added to that list. I believe its 63mm. It better be because thats what I'm planning on getting this coming week.
Crap i hope not as i just sold a outlander throttle body thinkin it was the same size at the ralliarts :/
soulesswarrior is offline  
Old Mar 20, 2011, 09:25 PM
  #9  
Evolved Member
iTrader: (21)
 
Raikiri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,720
Likes: 0
Recieved 14 Likes on 14 Posts
outlander depending on what year is the upgrade to our TB
Raikiri is offline  
Old Mar 20, 2011, 10:17 PM
  #10  
Evolved Member
iTrader: (8)
 
soulesswarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: fallbrook
Posts: 964
Likes: 0
Recieved 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the body i had was from an 04 outlander
soulesswarrior is offline  
Old Mar 20, 2011, 10:36 PM
  #11  
Evolved Member
iTrader: (21)
 
Raikiri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,720
Likes: 0
Recieved 14 Likes on 14 Posts
yeah you just sold your upgrade lol. you could've sold your stock TB to the 4b11/12 guys so they can upgrade theirs
Raikiri is offline  
Old Mar 21, 2011, 07:02 AM
  #12  
EvoM Super Moderator
iTrader: (15)
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: South USA
Posts: 3,346
Likes: 0
Recieved 1 Like on 1 Post
This was something that I wasn't so sure about , I know for a fact that the outlander has the same 4g69 as the ralliart. The only ones with the larger motor are more recent in age. 04 I'm pretty sure is 4g69, any links to show otherwise?
lanzerralliart is offline  
Old Mar 21, 2011, 09:19 AM
  #13  
Evolved Member
iTrader: (8)
 
soulesswarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: fallbrook
Posts: 964
Likes: 0
Recieved 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Raikiri View Post
yeah you just sold your upgrade lol. you could've sold your stock TB to the 4b11/12 guys so they can upgrade theirs
crap man i thought they were identical well a 4b guy got a 63mm then lol
soulesswarrior is offline  
Old Mar 21, 2011, 11:04 AM
  #14  
Newbie
iTrader: (1)
 
JDMJNKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: sOuL-CaLiFoRnIa
Posts: 68
Likes: 0
Recieved 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lancerralli06 View Post
Raikiri pretty much said it all.

.5) First disconnect the battery.
1) I took my front strut bar off so you have a bit more room.
2) Then unplug the throttle position sensor.
3) Unbolt the 4 bolts on the throttle body.
3.5) Take the stock gasket out because you will reuse this with the new one.
4) Slide the hose clamps down the 2 coolant hoses on the throttle body.
5) Next, Take a vise grip to squeeze one hose and lock it when you pull it off, then take a pliers and wiggle the other one off while holding it squeezed as well so no coolant comes out.
6) Set the old TB aside and set the new TB in its place.
7) Connect the coolant hoses and slide the hose clamps in place.
8)Reuse the stock gasket and use the 4 bolts to bolt the new TB in place.
9) Plug in the TPS.
10) Let the car idle for like 15min
11. You should be good to go!

can't go wrong w/ the procedure. People often for get that the car needs to re-learn it STFT. Good post lancerralli.
JDMJNKY is offline  
Old Mar 21, 2011, 06:11 PM
  #15  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
DanVM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Aldergrove, Canada
Posts: 19
Likes: 0
Recieved 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So the throttlebody from the 4cyl outlander is the same size (63mm) as the endeavor v6?
DanVM is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Throttle Body Upgrade


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.