Notices

Clutch/Transmission Issue

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2012, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch/Transmission Issue

Hello, I'm driving a 2006 Lancer RalliArt (5sp Manual) and this morning I experienced what I believe to have been the clutch slipping a little bit. I was accelerating out of a yield in a low gear, second or third, and my RPMs went crazy but I didn't gain any speed. This lasted about 5 seconds and then went back to normal but after I smelled something burning. I have driven probably 70km since then today and haven't experienced any more slipping but there has been a little clutch/transmission "chatter" on shifts when the gear engages (doesn't happen on every shift, and seems less likely to happen when driving more aggressively and shifting at a little higher RPM). I am praying that it's not the clutch as that isn't covered under the PT warranty. If it turns out to be the transmission I am only at 87,500km so I would be within the warranty on that.

For my own piece of mind I tried a few simple clutch tests:

- Pulling the E-Brake, putting the car into gear and releasing the clutch stalls the car out instantly.

- Starting in second gear at around 30km/hr shifting into fifth gear and flooring the accelerator produces both steady acceleration and smooth RPM climb, and reaching fifth gear speeds at an impressive pace.

Between those tests I would say that the clutch seems to be in working condition, but then I'm not a mechanic. I'm probably going to take it in to have it inspected either way but I thought I would ask for a couple more opinions in the mean time. Any advice on the matter will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

One other thing I forgot to mention, I lost my oil fill cap about two weeks ago and my engine was covered in oil before I noticed it, I've heard that in some cases oil contamination could cause these issues?

Last edited by supersiyx; Jul 24, 2012 at 06:27 PM.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
What gear are you putting it in to do the stall test? it should be third.. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think puttin it into 5th from second would really prove anything since there isn't much power to allow the clutch to slip.. On my car it was really bad it would start slipping at 3k rpms I could only go 65mph on the freeway any gear would slip at 3k.. So maybe you have something else going wrong like a hydraulic problem that's not disengaging the throwout bearing after it's engaged but not likely sorry
Old Jul 24, 2012, 07:09 PM

I've done second, third and fourth for the stand still stall test. At highway speeds it has always been at 3.5-4k RPM and I didn't notice any slipping post 3k on the highway today, and the accelerator seemed very responsive to little bursts I tried.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Well you can keep driving it and see if it continues... I had a car that stayed on in first gear it was funny.. Maybe it's on it's way out.. But not completely
Old Jul 24, 2012, 08:00 PM

If it's on it's way out is there any way to slow down the process? Or is it more of a "the more it slips over time, the worse it will get" kind of progressive deals? That's unfortunate, not looking forward to spending $1500 on a new clutch. Oh well, I called my local service center and I'm booked in later this week.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 09:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
yeah, it won't stay running when stopped in gear unless there's almost zero friction, it probably starting to slip, and a new clutch is only around $300-400 and is relatively smple to change, just labour intensive, could be done in an afternoon with two guys...
Old Jul 25, 2012, 05:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Install a new clutch soon. It won't take long to completely let go.

On an Impreza, I waited, then all of a sudden it totally failed and the result was a trail of burning fumes down the highway and a very large tow bill on top of a ruined flywheel and other overheated bits in there.