Notices
04-06 Lancer Ralliart Show & Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

speaker rattle - FIXED!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2005, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb speaker rattle - FIXED!

just got my RA (with s&s) last thursday - since i picked it up, the passenger door rattled with any positive settings on the the bass controls - after looking around on the forums i determined that it was the window controls causing the rattle

steps i took to fix the rattle:
1. pry up the window control panel - easy on passenger side - a little tougher on drivers side
2. disconnect wiring hareness(es)
3. wrap small strips of duct tape around each tab that holds in the control panel - duct tape is ghetto, but it serves it's purpose especially when its not visible - the rattling was comming from the panel's contact with the rest of the door
4. re-connect wiring hareness(es)
5. reinsert panel into the door - considerably more resistance in puting it back in than taking it out - from the duct tape

sound is MUCH improved - no rattling at all even with bass setting 4+

if anyone needs pictures to explain - let me know

nate

Last edited by natenet; Jun 6, 2005 at 05:29 PM. Reason: forgot to mention
Old Jun 6, 2005, 08:49 PM

Hmm..thanks for the heads up. I've been hearing this rattle from my passenger door since new and was wondering where it comes from. Since pulling on the door pull stops the rattle, it would make sense that it's coming from the window control panel. I'll have to give your idea a try.
Old Jun 6, 2005, 11:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by natenet
just got my RA (with s&s) last thursday - since i picked it up, the passenger door rattled with any positive settings on the the bass controls - after looking around on the forums i determined that it was the window controls causing the rattle

steps i took to fix the rattle:
1. pry up the window control panel - easy on passenger side - a little tougher on drivers side
2. disconnect wiring hareness(es)
3. wrap small strips of duct tape around each tab that holds in the control panel - duct tape is ghetto, but it serves it's purpose especially when its not visible - the rattling was comming from the panel's contact with the rest of the door
4. re-connect wiring hareness(es)
5. reinsert panel into the door - considerably more resistance in puting it back in than taking it out - from the duct tape

sound is MUCH improved - no rattling at all even with bass setting 4+

if anyone needs pictures to explain - let me know

nate
Pics would be nice I've known it was those little covers almost right when I first noticed it, I just don't know how to get em out. Just pry?
Old Jun 7, 2005, 06:51 AM

I've been starting to hear a rattle from my passenger's side as well. I wonder if this could be the problem.
Old Jun 7, 2005, 06:57 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by captain150
Pics would be nice I've known it was those little covers almost right when I first noticed it, I just don't know how to get em out. Just pry?
Yup, they'll pop out pretty easily.
Old Jun 7, 2005, 08:41 AM

Good to know because that sound has been driving me crazy and I haven't been able to find where exactly it's coming from. I'll have to try to fix this when I'm taking my dash apart to put in the new lighting kit I got off Z Lancer Man.
Old Jun 7, 2005, 09:10 AM

pics - update

pics are attached - pretty simple fix - 10 minutes max

after further listening - this does not completly eliminate the rattle, but it is greatly reduced - even with the control panel detached from the door something inside the door is still rattling very slightly

after taping - with bass 4 treb 2 bal 0 fad r1 - the rattle is almost never audible - even on very bass heavy songs

before taping - my rattling was very severe (even with bass at 2) and this is a huge improvement

one thing to note - in order to stop the rattle you have to put enough duct tape on the tabs that the panel is substantially more tough to pop back in

i believe the problem is that the panel (wo/ tape) is not pushing hard enough(horizontally) on the side of the door panel it sits in - with the right amount of duct tape the two panels are then more firmly attached to each other

also - make sure the last piece of tape you put on goes vertically from the bottom-over the top-and back down to the bottom - that way the door panel won't push the tape down to the bottom of the tab

nate
Attached Thumbnails speaker rattle - FIXED!-rat1.jpg   speaker rattle - FIXED!-rat2.jpg   speaker rattle - FIXED!-rat3.jpg   speaker rattle - FIXED!-rat4.jpg  

Last edited by natenet; Jun 7, 2005 at 10:06 AM.
Old Jun 7, 2005, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Someone should take the last post and make it into a How-to sticky. Good work Nate, i think everyone with a RA or lancer in general could use this
Old Jun 7, 2005, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

I just did this today, I used electrical tape. It's really easy. The driver's wires are kinda stuck between insulation and the door panel, so you have to pull up on the driver's panel before you can disconnect the harness. The rattles are pretty much gone. Volume at 30, bass at +6, treble at -2 with S&S and there is basically no rattle. The door grab handles rattle a little bit and the trim around the door opening handles rattles a little bit. But it's so little that you can hardly notice it.
Old Jun 8, 2005, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

Hmmmm I have no rattles at all. My 2002 Lancer OZ had a rattle in the drivers side "A" pillar that drove me friggin nuts!!!!! I would knock the crap out of it trying to silence the noise.
Old Jun 8, 2005, 04:19 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
My rear deck rattles and my headliner rattles just above the driver's visor. Grr. Gotta get that fixed.
Old Jun 8, 2005, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

did you just take the control off or the whole door? If you took the whole door off can you post pics?
Old Jun 8, 2005, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by N1te
did you just take the control off or the whole door? If you took the whole door off can you post pics?

just the window controls - take a look at the first picture - just pry the control panel up gently with your fingernails - it should pop right out - it is only held on with tabs - no need to take apart the whole door
Old Jun 8, 2005, 07:42 PM
Evolving Member

i have the same problem and a american used a canadian problem solver duct tape (red green show) to fix it . i am going to try this!
Old Jun 8, 2005, 09:53 PM
Evolving Member

I have never experienced the rattling because I never have my music over 15, but I should give this a try just for the hellevit.

You know... in case I DO decide to be a rebel and turn it up.