Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Ultimate Rattle & Noise Fixes for Evo X

Old Apr 14, 2011, 03:44 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Ultimate Rattle & Noise Fixes for Evo X

This thread will be a compilation of all rattles, creaks and annoyances in the interior, along with the fixes and locations that go with them. If you can locate a rattle that is not in this thread, please post where it is and a possible fix.

Glove Box Rattle
Use felt around the snaps and the hinges.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ox-rattle.html

B-Pillar Seat-Belt Adjustment Rattle
Use felt on the inside of the button and the inside of the slider.

The rattle in my b-pillar was coming from the seat belt position button. Here's how I fixed it.

1. This is the seat belt position button.
2. Hold button down.
3. With button held down, add a strip of felt (with sticky back) about 1" x 1/4".
4. Release button and the felt strip should slide behind the plastic with a snug fit.

Rear Deck
Use speaker carpet on the back deck under the plastic.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/8616167-post9.html

Front Door Cards
With the door card off place butyl in each of the white plastic snaps so they are not loose. Some have reported noise in the trim as well, place butyl or felt inside to make the trim fit snug.

Shifter Rattle
Pull the shifter cable off under the console, rotate it, put it back on.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-rattling.html
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ght-video.html

A/C Controls Rattle
No Fix yet

Right A/C Vent Rattle
No Fix Yet

Shifter Console Plastic Rattle
I took my shift console off because I was getting a plastic rattle sound (not the shifter rattle, which I also fixed). Once you get the shifter plastic off, there are 4 main points to put velvet on. The front tab, the back resting place and the sides.

Keep them coming!
Attached Thumbnails Ultimate Rattle & Noise Fixes for Evo X-consolevelvet1.jpg   Ultimate Rattle & Noise Fixes for Evo X-consolevelvet2.jpg   Ultimate Rattle & Noise Fixes for Evo X-consolevelvet3.jpg  

Last edited by migs647; Aug 22, 2011 at 08:50 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by migs647:
EvoXEmma (Dec 28, 2018), gotyaw? (Dec 13, 2017)
Old Apr 14, 2011, 04:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by migs647
This thread will be a compilation of all rattles, creaks and annoyances in the interior, along with the fixes and locations that go with them. If you can locate a rattle that is not in this thread, please post where it is and a possible fix.

Glove Box Rattle
Use felt around the snaps and the hinges.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ox-rattle.html

B-Pillar Seat-Belt Adjustment Rattle
Use felt on the inside of the button and the inside of the slider.

Rear Deck
Use speaker carpet on the back deck under the plastic.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/8616167-post9.html

Front Door Cards
With the door card off place butyl in each of the white plastic snaps so they are not loose. Some have reported noise in the trim as well, place butyl or felt inside to make the trim fit snug.

Shifter Rattle
No Fix

Keep them coming!
Any pictures regarding the b-pillar seat belt adjuster rattle fix? Definitely want to fix this + the glove box rattle asap!
Old Apr 14, 2011, 04:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I did the glove box fix but it still rattles. Any suggestions..

My other rattle sounds like its coming from the NAV unit face/trim. I would love to hear some fixes/suggestions on both. Thanx
Old Apr 14, 2011, 04:58 PM
EvoM Community Team

I'll be putting the B-Pillar fix pictures in here shortly as I do it to my '11.

As far as the glove box rattle, how much weight do you have in it? Do you have the BIG owners manual? Try taking that out and see if it goes away. If it does, you need felt inside against the moving pins as well.

Nav unit, when you take the plastic bezel off, you can get access to the snap pins in the back. Make sure those are secured.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 05:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by migs647
I'll be putting the B-Pillar fix pictures in here shortly as I do it to my '11.

As far as the glove box rattle, how much weight do you have in it? Do you have the BIG owners manual? Try taking that out and see if it goes away. If it does, you need felt inside against the moving pins as well.

Nav unit, when you take the plastic bezel off, you can get access to the snap pins in the back. Make sure those are secured.
Roger that, I'll give that a try and report back. Thanks for the response.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 02:38 AM

Not sure if anyone else has the same issue but Ive got an interior rattle from the drivers side lock tab (above the door open handle).

It stops when I flick the tab to lock all the doors which is good because nobody can open the doors from the outside but annoying that I have to lock it most times I drive.

This is on a RHD EVO X.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 08:00 AM
EvoM Community Team

Inside the door handle is a small little tab that hides a screw, is it possibly that?
Old Apr 15, 2011, 12:29 PM

Regarding the additional glove box rattles-
After following the steps detailed in the "how to fix glove box rattle" thread, I was still getting a lot of noise from whatever mechanism connects the handle to the 2 latches on either side. I found that if I applied pressure to the latches with my finger, it would quiet the noise... so I used some felt tape and cut it into a blocky "c" shape, then stuck it on either side of the glove box with the notch in the "c" snugged up against the latches. That took care of it for me.
I'm assuming if you take the glove box apart, you could could get a better look at what exactly is going on in there and tape some foam against the mechanism or rods to do the same thing... but my fix with the felt tape has done the trick for almost a year, and you can't see it unless the glove box is open.
Hopefully this makes sense. I can take some pictures if anyone is still confused.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 01:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by supergreen125
Regarding the additional glove box rattles-
After following the steps detailed in the "how to fix glove box rattle" thread, I was still getting a lot of noise from whatever mechanism connects the handle to the 2 latches on either side. I found that if I applied pressure to the latches with my finger, it would quiet the noise... so I used some felt tape and cut it into a blocky "c" shape, then stuck it on either side of the glove box with the notch in the "c" snugged up against the latches. That took care of it for me.
I'm assuming if you take the glove box apart, you could could get a better look at what exactly is going on in there and tape some foam against the mechanism or rods to do the same thing... but my fix with the felt tape has done the trick for almost a year, and you can't see it unless the glove box is open.
Hopefully this makes sense. I can take some pictures if anyone is still confused.
I would love to see a pic when you get a chance.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 05:35 PM
Evolving Member

Just did the fix for my glove box. Will report back in a week or so to report my results
Old Apr 20, 2011, 06:15 AM
Evolved Member

i now have the most annoying rattle coming from the AC controls. if i push on the controls or the black piece around it, it goes away.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 07:32 AM
EvoM Community Team

^--- I take it you don't have any bezels around the hvac controls?
Old Apr 20, 2011, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

I sometimes get a rattle from above the glove box.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 09:48 AM
EvoM Community Team

^--- Next time you're in the passenger seat and someone is driving, try covering the passenger AC vent, see if it muffles it.

Do you have SSS package?
Old Apr 20, 2011, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

Yes SSS

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ultimate Rattle & Noise Fixes for Evo X