Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Ultimate Rattle & Noise Fixes for Evo X

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2011, 09:54 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
If it's in the center upper glove box, it may be the bluetooth module. It may be worth taking the glove box out, and looking up there to see if the wireharness is loose. If it is, try some NVH tape

http://www.dorrie.com/nvhtape/nvhtape.htm

Lowes / HD should have some foam tape as well.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The AC control rattle is the worst after the glovebox rattle, I'm to the point where I might remove that bezel and sand it down a couple mm to stop it
Old May 9, 2011, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did the glove box fix this weekend. Worked for me.

I want to tackle the rear deck next. But is there an alternate to carpetting the entire panel?
Old May 9, 2011, 08:39 AM
EvoM Community Team

That's great

You can try and slip some felt under the deck around the passenger side area, but once you have it off you might as well carpet it.
Old May 10, 2011, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

Did some forum searching. A few people wedged some foam under the panel by going through the trunk. I'm going to try that first. : )
Old May 10, 2011, 09:55 AM
EvoM Community Team

Good luck, if you get a chance, sake some snapshots.
Old May 10, 2011, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

It helped but did not eliminate the rattle 100%. Seems like it might be the rear deck rattling against the glass.
Old May 11, 2011, 09:16 AM
Evolving Member

I fixed my dash rattling yesterday (I have oem nav). When the car hits a small or big bump, the Nav unit was hitting the plastic molded piece that goes around the nav. I took that piece out and lined the bottom part with adhesive felt to provide a cushion for the nav. I also noticed that the air vents had plastic pieces that attached to it that were pretty loose. I stuck some dynamat on the sides so that the plastic pieces wouldn't move. Now my dash doesn't rattle anymore! Sorry I don't have pics. I'll try to take some next time I open it up to work on it.

Has anyone had pics of the passenger side pillar rattle fix yet? I think I want to tackle that next. It can get annoying when it starts rattling. Also I notice rattles on the side of my dash where the pillars meet the dash. I know some people put insulating foam in between, but it seems so tight that it's hard to get anything in there. How did you guys do it? I also noticed that my passenger side vent might be rattling as well although I'm not 100% sure. Does the vent just pop out after you have the trim piece taken off?
Old May 29, 2011, 12:51 PM

I have a rattle on the b pillar that is driving me insane. The rattle seems to be coming from where the seatbelt height adjuster is (right next to my ears). Anyone else have this problem?
Old May 29, 2011, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by SilverEvoX
The AC control rattle is the worst
this is the only real rattle in my car, & it rattles something awful...
Old May 29, 2011, 02:28 PM
Evolving Member

same here, stupid ac control, no way to stop that **** from rattling ugh
Old May 29, 2011, 05:48 PM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by s2ksam
I have a rattle on the b pillar that is driving me insane. The rattle seems to be coming from where the seatbelt height adjuster is (right next to my ears). Anyone else have this problem?
Next time you're getting that, push the button down, see if it goes away. If it does, you may be able to slip some medical tape up there for a cushion.
Old May 30, 2011, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by s2ksam
Yup. I was driving the eight hours home after picking up my car at South Coast Mitsu in Orange County. It had about 400 miles on it when I hit Sacramento and Michael Jackson's "Billy Jean" came on the radio. The bass intro immediately started that buzzing in the B pillar. Kind of bummed me out that I couldn't even get home with the new car before it started. Moving it around a bit calmed it down, but I'm tempted to take it to my local Mitsubishi dealership and make them fix it. There's a 12 month 12K miles "adjustment" period in the warranty and I'm betting obvious squeaks, buzzes and rattles would be covered (they were on my old Mazda anyway).
Old May 30, 2011, 10:20 AM
Evolving Member

Anyone have a rattle coming front front drivers side dash? Seems like right by the firewall somehwere.
I have motor mounts installed however the rattle came much after.
Old May 30, 2011, 01:01 PM
AFD
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jeffredo
I'm tempted to take it to my local Mitsubishi dealership and make them fix it. There's a 12 month 12K miles "adjustment" period in the warranty and I'm betting obvious squeaks, buzzes and rattles would be covered
Good luck w/that!

I've tried twice so far to get my dealership to fix just the buzzing and knocking sound coming from the passenger door and B pillar area (even told them not to bother with the other dozen rattles in the car).

Both times they wrote up "unable to duplicate customer's concern".

Should be covered under 3-year bumper-to-bumper.. I'll probably try one more time and then end up fixing it myself.

Quick Reply: Ultimate Rattle & Noise Fixes for Evo X