Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Ultimate Rattle & Noise Fixes for Evo X

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2011, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I still have my warranty and they have been about checking it so far I'm gonna take it in again tomorrow and let them have another go at it. It wouldn't matter so much if i didn't drive 400 miles a week just back and forth between work and home. That wheel time needs to be relaxing
Old Nov 3, 2011, 10:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone have a fix for the AC control rattles? Mine is getting worse! Also the passenger side dash where it meets the A pillar is rattling like crazy as well.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by gforced
I was getting a serious rattle from the airbag by your knees under the steering wheel. I took that panel around it off, unbolted the airbag module, carefully rotated to see all the tabs and added felt and felt pads anywhere they were loose or making noise.

This was the worse one in my car so far and it is all gone now.
This is the loudest one in mine as well. Its a near constant "buzz" over anything but glass-smooth roads. I'm kind of leery of messing around with the knee air bag at all. The head mechanic at my Mitsu dealership said bring it in - things like that are covered under the 12 month, 12K mile adjustment period. Might as well let them do the work if I can. Mine's a 2010, but I bought it new last May - it was a "leftover".

I have to say, this is car has the most rattles/buzzes/pops of any car I've owned save for a crappy '89 Ford Taurus. Pretty disappointing when after six months its as bad as the nine year old Mazda it replaced.

Last edited by Jeffredo; Nov 4, 2011 at 01:14 AM.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 02:13 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by menasor
Anyone have a fix for the AC control rattles? Mine is getting worse! Also the passenger side dash where it meets the A pillar is rattling like crazy as well.
I'll have a how-to fix for the right a-pillar soon
Old Nov 8, 2011, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by menasor
I also need these two fixes as well. Not sure if the passenger side is the bluetooth but both are horrible with my testpipe and exhaust.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 09:26 PM
Evolving Member

Ok, I've noticed lately that in my car a weird humming/vibration noise coming from the shifter area, and is prominent in 3rd gear around 3k.

It is not drivetrain related, in neutral when I rev it to about 3k and keep it steady, it seems to appear, its not overly loud or obnoxious, just makes me mad.

Anyone have a fix for this? Maybe the felt near the shifter?
Old Dec 12, 2011, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

My son's 2011 Evo X rattles horribly in the glove box area and also the passenger door area. I have to say that I am disappointed in the amount of rattles there are in such a new car. My Evo X has a squeak in the radio area that drives me crazy. I am about ready to get a manual on how to remove the dash and redo the whole thing with proper sound deadening.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 02:52 PM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by HAHAV8
Ok, I've noticed lately that in my car a weird humming/vibration noise coming from the shifter area, and is prominent in 3rd gear around 3k.

It is not drivetrain related, in neutral when I rev it to about 3k and keep it steady, it seems to appear, its not overly loud or obnoxious, just makes me mad.

Anyone have a fix for this? Maybe the felt near the shifter?
It's the shifter linkage. Next time it's doing it..... put pressure left or right on the shifter, see if it goes away. If it does, you need to push some grease / possibly a washer on the linkage.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 04:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by migs647
It's the shifter linkage. Next time it's doing it..... put pressure left or right on the shifter, see if it goes away. If it does, you need to push some grease / possibly a washer on the linkage.
Alright I will do that, thanks!

This is a different issue than the rattling in 5th gear, correct? Or is the same part making the noise?
Old Dec 12, 2011, 05:08 PM
EvoM Community Team

^--- while it's impossible for me to know for sure, I believe it's the same issue
Old Dec 12, 2011, 06:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by migs647
^--- while it's impossible for me to know for sure, I believe it's the same issue
Thank you sir, I will take a look as soon as I have time
Old Dec 13, 2011, 09:03 AM

I tried the Glove Box fix and even did some extras. The noise still there. Ugh!
Old Dec 13, 2011, 09:43 AM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by KiDMaTiX
I tried the Glove Box fix and even did some extras. The noise still there. Ugh!
Not sure what extras you did. But I put some felt inside the glove box all around the pins that slide in and out, and also in the area they go into in the dash. That seemed to help mine.

One thing I've noticed about some of my rattles, they have just seemed to have gone away.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 06:45 AM
Evolving Member

Need a fix for the ac controls ASAP lol..it's so fun driving and holding all 3 of them snug so they don't just buzz over my radio :s.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 02:45 PM
Evolving Member

I'm not sure if this has already been posted but it helped solve one of the many NVH issues on my car.

Symptom: Clunk in dash/firewall like a hammer hitting an area center/high on the firewall. This usually occurred when going up/down driveways diagonally.

Name:  EvoXFrontStrutbar.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  57.6 KB

Name:  008-1.jpg
Size:  102.5 KB

Cause: The two bolts on center mounting point of the front strut bar were ~1/16th of a turn loose.

The clearance in the strut bar center mounting holes is very large. Due to daily driving, the bolts worked themselves loose and the bar was allowed to move relative to the bolts. This caused the strut bar to impact (clunk) the bolts whenever the chassis twisted (going up/down driveways).

Name:  009-1.jpg
Size:  106.0 KB

Fix: Remove bolts, add loctite, reinstall, and torque. Btw, I recommend torquing the bolts to the same value as the nuts on the struts (33 ft-lbs). I don't know why they specify 17 ft-lbs because the thread size/pitch is the same as the ones on the struts.

Tools Required:
14mm socket
Ratchet
Blue Loctite
Torque wrench

Name:  010-1.jpg
Size:  162.7 KB

Problem solved

Quick Reply: Ultimate Rattle & Noise Fixes for Evo X