Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Ultimate Rattle & Noise Fixes for Evo X

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2011, 03:04 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Excellent!
Old Dec 30, 2011, 09:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i can't read all the pages...another rattle is from the exhaust...a $40 TSolution hanger is the best solution.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 02:18 AM
Evolving Member

I have a weird rattle. When I have the driver side window down I hear a rattle around where the tweeter/mirror area. I've tried putting my hand all over that area and haven't been able to make the rattle go away. When I roll the window up the rattle goes away... anyone have this?
Old Jan 9, 2012, 06:50 AM
EvoM Community Team

Yah we're currently discussing it in another thread. If you push on the glass towards the outside does it go away?
Old Jan 9, 2012, 01:48 PM
Evolving Member

When I roll the windows up it goes away. I think it might be coming from the window weather trim (or whatever the black plastic/rubber piece that stops water from entering your door when it rains). I was driving around today and when I would hold it, the rattle would not be as loud. Its freaking annoying... I can honestly say this is the only thing I hate about my car, all the damn rattles and the effort it takes to find and make them go away.

Originally Posted by migs647
Yah we're currently discussing it in another thread. If you push on the glass towards the outside does it go away?
Old Jan 25, 2012, 05:52 AM
Evolved Member

I removed all the panels and tightened the bolt in the center arm that holds the window up/down mechanism... don't even know how to xplain taht... but it seems the ppl assembling the car don't tighten stuff well enough... I always remove my door panels and tighten everythiing up

I did all of this in the RA... will be doing it on the Evo this weekend; hopefully I remember and post pictures

my wife's 2012 Outlander Sport is so well put together, it gets me jelly! >:-[ lol
Old Jan 26, 2012, 01:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jazket
my wife's 2012 Outlander Sport is so well put together, it gets me jelly! >:-[ lol
My mom bought a 2010 Lancer GTS Sportback. I borrowed it a few times and was so impressed I bought one for myself. Odd thing is, my car has quite a few rattles and "pops" in the plastic panels, her's has almost none. Her car also rides better and smoother. Even she noticed the difference in the ride when she borrowed my car one day. Exact same year and model - made just one month apart. I don't understand but its pretty disappointing two supposedly identical cars could feel that different.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 09:24 PM
Account Disabled

life saver!
Old Feb 9, 2012, 04:55 PM

Hey Guys- I recently had my windshield replaced and while it was off, I pulled the very front panel (the panel the windshield defroster vents blow through) up and stuffed a bunch of foam blocks inside. I also put a small piece of foam between the defroster vents and where the dash rests on top and WOW... what a difference that made. My car used to make a "plastic slapping against plastic" noise every time I drove over a bump in the road.
I have had my dash apart MANY times to try and fix that one but couldn't find an easy way to get access to that area. Just an FYI I guess unless someone knows a way to get in there without removing the windshield.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 06:19 PM
Evolving Member

I have that too, so annoying. my dealer cannot reproduce them. How to remove the door panel, is that easy to do?
Old Feb 26, 2012, 03:46 PM

Nice write up!!!
Old Feb 27, 2012, 06:49 AM

Awesome thread!
Old Mar 12, 2012, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
subscribed. passenger side a/c vent is giving me road rage.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 11:51 AM
EvoM Community Team

Odds are it isn't the vent, it's where the a-pillar contacts the dash. Next time it's happening have someone press the a-piller where they contact. I thought it was the AC vent as well, I would cover the vent and the noise would go away. Once day I put my hand on the a-pillar, it went away. Put some felt there, noise is gone
Old Mar 12, 2012, 04:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Odds are it isn't the vent, it's where the a-pillar contacts the dash. Next time it's happening have someone press the a-piller where they contact. I thought it was the AC vent as well, I would cover the vent and the noise would go away. Once day I put my hand on the a-pillar, it went away. Put some felt there, noise is gone
it definitely could be the a pillar but i think that one is a separate rattle in my car, much more muted and quicker to disappear.

i removed the glovebox and bottom tray on the passenger side and took them out of the car completely to rule those out since those were the only pieces i had removed from the car during the wide band install.

had my coworker go to lunch with me and had him press on just about everything. the noise 90% disappears when you shut the passengers side air vent next to the a-pillar. i rode home with it closed and it no longer made me angry. i just looked at the vent closely when i got home but i cant see any issue with it. it could be inside the vent or the vent tube hitting/rubbing something behind the dash.

i just have a high flow cat on with the stock catback. i'm going to install the catback in the next week or so. hopefully that will get rid of the 1000-2000 rpm deep bass note due to the factor resonator because that causes a lot of vibration.

if i can't remedy it, i'll run up to the dealership and have them take a look. i can kind of replicate it with a 2000-2500 rpm rev.

Last edited by momostallion; Mar 12, 2012 at 04:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Ultimate Rattle & Noise Fixes for Evo X