Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Ultimate Rattle & Noise Fixes for Evo X

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2013, 01:46 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mitra88
What an awesome post! It was extremely helpful!
go team!
Old Aug 19, 2013, 03:10 PM
Evolving Member

i just pulled all the small pieces that even touches the front dash and i lined felt behind all of them.

I meant ALL the pieces, HVAC, steering column, dash trims, front passenger door, right AC vent, I meant ALLL the pieces.

and I lined felt on all outer edges whever the F*CK 2 pieces would touch and all the clips.

i will not have payed a $40k car and hear rattle ****.

FCK this. NO MORE.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 01:26 PM
Evolving Member

FOUND 2 MAJOR RATTLES.

Name:  Iwin_zpsf531c1ca.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  83.4 KB

# 1 These 2 clips was NOT INSTALLED INTO THE APPROPRIATE HOLES FROM DEALERSHIP. (i am 1st owner, car only has 7000miles). This is right under the glovebox.
Name:  underrattlenotinstalledcorrectlybydealer_zps54b5f8d9.jpg
Size:  63.6 KB

The circled red is where its suppose to go, but its was just hanging, thus hitting the bottom of the in-cabin air filter box circled in green.
Name:  underrattle_zpsf90ac848.jpg
Size:  97.1 KB

Name:  undergloveboxrattle_zpsb47ba2d0.jpg
Size:  89.2 KB

F*ck you mitsubishi installers. Put your sh*t in the right holes.

#2 Inside the passenger door handles, all the circles pieces were lose, giving constant rattle from 4krpm to 6krpm transfered from the motor to the chassis.
thinly cut felt were placed around and also INSIDE of it.
Name:  insidedoorhandle_zps35511bd6.jpg
Size:  83.0 KB

Then all the edges and clips were cushioned with felt.

my evo NOW IS RATTLE FREE. 99% of the time. Now i hear one from the back sometimes. if i hear it again i wll have no problem kicking its ***.

Name:  cushionalltheclips2_zpsb886a3c2.jpg
Size:  55.3 KB

like i said, no edges were spared. I made sure those sons of biatches dont get away.
Name:  0d80482f-b5e3-4a24-bc12-ea78ce268854_zps0886fa28.jpg
Size:  106.7 KB

Name:  cushionalltheclipssides_zpsc393f543.jpg
Size:  72.4 KB

Name:  cushionalltheclips_zpsb634ba87.jpg
Size:  64.0 KB
Old Aug 21, 2013, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
^-- haha, you sound like me. i hate this interior. hot *** summer means driving with the a/c on and windows up so i hear everything and it has been driving me crazy.

i should post pics but i have taken off every trim piece on my dash. covered the backside with gtmat's sound deadening material. i have also had to take apart every a/c vent and use felt tape to snug up.

i still have 1 rattle coming from my dash illumination level button on the cluster that i need to figure out a solution to.

but for the love of god, there is 1 rattle that i can not find. it sounds like it is coming from the passenger's side near the windshield but the tricky thing about these rattles is the actual thing causing the noise doesn't necessarily start there. i'm to the point where im going to need to pull this dash out.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 07:10 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnnyjeans
FOUND 2 MAJOR RATTLES.

# 1 These 2 clips was NOT INSTALLED INTO THE APPROPRIATE HOLES FROM DEALERSHIP. (i am 1st owner, car only has 7000miles). This is right under the glovebox.

The circled red is where its suppose to go, but its was just hanging, thus hitting the bottom of the in-cabin air filter box circled in green.

F*ck you mitsubishi installers. Put your sh*t in the right holes.

#2 Inside the passenger door handles, all the circles pieces were lose, giving constant rattle from 4krpm to 6krpm transfered from the motor to the chassis.
thinly cut felt were placed around and also INSIDE of it.

Then all the edges and clips were cushioned with felt.

my evo NOW IS RATTLE FREE. 99% of the time. Now i hear one from the back sometimes. if i hear it again i wll have no problem kicking its ***.

like i said, no edges were spared. I made sure those sons of biatches dont get away.

One of the best posts of the year!! Great details

How did you get the plastic covering the passenger ac vent off?
Old Aug 22, 2013, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
For anyone with rattle/vibration from the rear deck, know that some of it may actually be coming from slack in the seatbelt internal mechanisms. Driving around without my rear deck on only removed about 50% of my vibration/buzz issue. I then had someone yank the seatbelts to engage the stoppers and the noise was completely gone. I have found that even if you just secure the rear seatbelts into the buckles normally, without having them in the locked position, it will eliminate their noise to the point where it can seem completely gone most of the time. Combine that with padding or removing the rear deck trim and you will be roughly 95% noise free back there.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 02:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by migs647
One of the best posts of the year!! Great details

How did you get the plastic covering the passenger ac vent off?
the evo is extremely easy to take off pieces of trim. when you take off 1, the other that's underneath will show itself.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 03:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnnyjeans
the evo is extremely easy to take off pieces of trim. when you take off 1, the other that's underneath will show itself.
More specifically:

Remove the glovebox.
Remove the silver screw on the right side where the glovebox used to be and pull the corresponding trim panel.
Remove the screw and the fake "carbon" trim piece that runs across the dash.
You should now have access to remove the vent trim.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 10:52 AM
Evolving Member

I don't know if I should put this here but its a rattle and I fixed it. With all the flooding going on out here I've been driving through some interesting stuff. The other day I notice when I came to a complete stop, the rear end off my car started to make this horrible rattling sound and it was loud (not the AYC pump or Diff grenading). I went into my trunk to see if anything was hitting its surroundings. Nothing.. SO I jacked the car up to look at the usual suspects. Exhaust wasn't hitting anything, endlinks were good, and no play in the suspension. As I was sliding around in my creeper my toe hit something around the muffler canister that made a suspicious sound. As I probed and shook things I came across the heat shield about the canister. I gave it a good flick and sure enough there were rocks trapped between the heat shield and body. They were vibrating and rattling like you wouldn't believe. Got the rocks out and the sounds are no more. Hope this helps someone else out there.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 09:48 AM

i have placed felt on the B pillar seatbelt slider and the seatbelt button and i am still getting a rattling noise on the highway and sometimes on the streets and its driving me nuts. I also have an aftermarket exhaust so that might have canceled out the felt.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 01:32 PM

this is still one of my favorite threads...use it very often. But for 30K I wish we did not have to worry about "rattles"
Old Nov 14, 2013, 01:00 PM

I fixed my Aircon/HVAC rattle.. I removed the cover off and ran some felt tap around the dial..you cannot see the tape once the cover goes back on. I'll post some pics up later today.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 08:25 AM

I have this awful rattle that is driving me nuts. Its in my headliner on my 2011. Part of it is coming from the overhead light, but its also directly above the driver's head. If I push up on the headliner it goes away. Any fixes without pulling the whole freaking headliner off?

Ill tell you I drove Subaru's for years and I never thought any car could rattle is much as they do. I was wrong!!!!!!!!!!
Old Nov 19, 2013, 08:48 AM
Sev
Evolved Member

I have a squeak coming from either the glove box area or center console. It's not a rattle, it's literally a squeak.

Any ideas?
Old Nov 20, 2013, 05:50 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Skibumm
I have this awful rattle that is driving me nuts. Its in my headliner on my 2011. Part of it is coming from the overhead light, but its also directly above the driver's head. If I push up on the headliner it goes away. Any fixes without pulling the whole freaking headliner off?

Ill tell you I drove Subaru's for years and I never thought any car could rattle is much as they do. I was wrong!!!!!!!!!!
Sounds like it could be the wire harness for your mic. The mic is in the lamp. Unfortunately, I think you'll have to pull the liner.

It's really not that bad though. Just need to pull the pillar plastic off and undo some snaps.

Quick Reply: Ultimate Rattle & Noise Fixes for Evo X