Notices
Evo X How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Ultimate Rattle & Noise Fixes for Evo X

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2014, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by migs647
This thread will be a compilation of all rattles, creaks and annoyances in the interior, along with the fixes and locations that go with them. If you can locate a rattle that is not in this thread, please post where it is and a possible fix.

Glove Box Rattle
Use felt around the snaps and the hinges.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ox-rattle.html

B-Pillar Seat-Belt Adjustment Rattle
Use felt on the inside of the button and the inside of the slider.

The rattle in my b-pillar was coming from the seat belt position button. Here's how I fixed it.

1. This is the seat belt position button.
2. Hold button down.
3. With button held down, add a strip of felt (with sticky back) about 1" x 1/4".
4. Release button and the felt strip should slide behind the plastic with a snug fit.

Rear Deck
Use speaker carpet on the back deck under the plastic.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/8616167-post9.html

Front Door Cards
With the door card off place butyl in each of the white plastic snaps so they are not loose. Some have reported noise in the trim as well, place butyl or felt inside to make the trim fit snug.

Shifter Rattle
Pull the shifter cable off under the console, rotate it, put it back on.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-rattling.html
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ght-video.html

A/C Controls Rattle
No Fix yet

Right A/C Vent Rattle
No Fix Yet

Shifter Console Plastic Rattle
I took my shift console off because I was getting a plastic rattle sound (not the shifter rattle, which I also fixed). Once you get the shifter plastic off, there are 4 main points to put velvet on. The front tab, the back resting place and the sides.

Keep them coming!
My new weekend hobby!
Old Mar 15, 2014, 07:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Skibumm
I have this awful rattle that is driving me nuts. Its in my headliner on my 2011. Part of it is coming from the overhead light, but its also directly above the driver's head. If I push up on the headliner it goes away. Any fixes without pulling the whole freaking headliner off?

Ill tell you I drove Subaru's for years and I never thought any car could rattle is much as they do. I was wrong!!!!!!!!!!
I have the some one. Mother of God it is awful. I got it to go away briefly by pulling the dome light and jamming folded up blue shop towel under the foam spacer just in front of the dome light that is glued to the headliner. It started up again. There is just enough space around the dome light housing that the headliner can rattle on it.

Odd side note....I also have a 2011...
Old Apr 4, 2014, 05:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rattle when bumping my tunes.

4 month old car annoying rattle when bass hits. from the day I brought her home I had a rattling noise in the back when I would crank my music. I discovered today finally that it's the headlined vibrating against the back glass.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 05:20 PM
Evolving Member

found mine today. it was the headliner against the back glass
Old Apr 20, 2014, 11:07 PM
Evolving Member

need to get rid of the b pillar rattle! thanks!
Old Dec 23, 2014, 10:51 PM

I also have a 2011 and my headliner is rattling. Seems more like it is above the passenger side. Drives me crazy as well.

I have yet to get in there and investigate but I can push up on it and get it to go away. Seems like a lot of play in the headliner between it and the roof. Kind of cheesy.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 09:47 AM
Evolving Member

My car has started making a really weird noise. It sounds like there is a leaf or something caught in an air vent behind the glove box. I took out the cabin filter but there wasn't anything in it. I'm not sure what else I can take apart back there. The noise stops when the car stops moving and gets louder the faster I go.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 11:05 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
It may be behind the AC vent. Someone posted a fix on it, not sure if it was in this thread or not.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 12:58 AM

The rattles will never end.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 08:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JDM EVOX
The rattles will never end.
lol- qft. My car doesn't get driven much - 2010 with only 15.5k miles. Even still, glovebox rattle, console buzz in cold weather, rear hatch rattle in warm weather - its almost comical given the low miles. Only got one truly fixed - the knee air bag cover.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 07:21 AM
RZA

Smooth sailing in my 2014 Evo X GSR here. No weird noises, rattles or any problems that I can think of
Old Jan 2, 2015, 10:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TravisF
My car has started making a really weird noise. It sounds like there is a leaf or something caught in an air vent behind the glove box. I took out the cabin filter but there wasn't anything in it. I'm not sure what else I can take apart back there. The noise stops when the car stops moving and gets louder the faster I go.
This noise went away after I went to the car wash and pressure washed the whole car. Most likely was a leaf caught somewhere and the water blew it out
Old Jan 14, 2015, 04:23 AM
Evolving Member

My biggest rattle is the ash tray thing on the shifter console. Everytime I turn my car on the exhaust note causes this thing to make a whole lot of noise lol. Dont really want to take the door out because I like the oem look... will get some felt or something and see what I can do
Old Feb 19, 2015, 09:48 AM

I have a 2012 GSR and haven't had any weird rattles inside the car, but I have a rattle noise coming from the grill inserts on the stock hood, if I place 1 finger on the hood (even a pinky) the rattling stops but once i take off the slightest amount of pressure it just shakes & rattles ... its annoying cause if I have the windows open I can hear it over the engine/even my music sometimes...annoying
Old Feb 27, 2015, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EvoXGsr12
I have a 2012 GSR and haven't had any weird rattles inside the car, but I have a rattle noise coming from the grill inserts on the stock hood, if I place 1 finger on the hood (even a pinky) the rattling stops but once i take off the slightest amount of pressure it just shakes & rattles ... its annoying cause if I have the windows open I can hear it over the engine/even my music sometimes...annoying
Pop your hood, look on both front corners, there are two rubber stoppers that can be adjusted up and down, turn them both up ever so slightly and see if that solves your issue. (they should be equal from side to side)

On the other hand, Does anyone know how to fix the damn rattling mirror? my drivers side mirror rattles all the freaking time. drives me absolutely nuts.

Quick Reply: Ultimate Rattle & Noise Fixes for Evo X