Notices
04-06 Ralliart Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech (aftermarket turbo/supercharger related topics)

custom turbo project help

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2011, 11:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
custom turbo project help

So i finally decided to start a turbo build on my RA. I am going with a evo 8 16g.

I'm fairly... new, or inexperienced is the better word, at forced induction and can use all the help i can get. I'm going to be doing what work i can myself and then taking it to a shop for the rest. that being said I am still looking for a way do to this without the 5th injector, I've read the RRM kit can only support up to like 190-200 hp because of the injectors. so I'm thinking replacing them with larger injectors instead of the 5th.

Here's a list of things I already have:

1. evo 3 gt 16g td05

2. Universal HKS SQV SSQV IV BOV Turbo BOV

3. Walbro 255 fuel pump

4. Evo 3 BAR Map Sensor

5. Evo 8 Manifold modified for our flange (not modified yet)

6. intercooler and piping

7. subaru 440 injectors

Also have a bunch of ramndom here and there parts. all I need now is the time to do it. 2 weeks straight work doesn't help :\ lol

thanks in advance guys. I don't know what i'd do without all of your help.

Last edited by samterry1234; Mar 18, 2012 at 10:05 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 11:39 PM
Evolving Member

Oh, and I'm still using Hackish's post here, but I just wanted to make sure before I started since that one hasn't been updated in a while
Old Dec 30, 2011, 12:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
as far as i know, if you're going for moderate boost, you don't need the walbro, but it's good to have.

For the MAP sensor, you can get the OmniPower USA 3-Bar MAP sensor for around $100 brand new, or the Evo X MAP sensor is a 3 Bar, and i believe also the JDM Evo 8 or 9 uses a 3 Bar MAP sensors. You can find them used on the board if you keep your eye on the for sale.

As for boost control, your wastegate, or internal waste gate actuator in your case is what controls boost...whatever positive pressure it's rated for is what you'll get from the compressor, boost can be increased, but not decreased, this is purely pneumatic/mechanical, unless you have an electronic boost controller, but i don't know if there is provisions to run one on these cars. you can't find a definitive answer on engine management? I'll tell you now, Hackish has your answer...

You should have a wideband gauge and sensor...you need various fittings for oil feed/return...as well as boost/vacuum sources for your wastegate and blow off valve...if you look at my build thread you'll see what i did to address those, to get an idea...

you need a downpipe, or O2 housing/downpipe, the O2 housing is good to have if using the internal waste gate, and also, so going from the turbo to the downpipe is a simple flange, though the O2 sensor bung is not recommended by AEM, in the UEGO Wideband manual, they suggest placing the sensor like 18" downstream of the turbine, or something like that..

injectors, you need USDM 02-05 WRX 440cc light blue (what i have), or JDM STi pink, forget model year and flow rating but it's about 100cc a minute more than the WRX...and of course, i believe Hackish uses aftermarket RC 550cc injectors, so if you got a hold of him, or OttRalliart05, The could probably hook you up, i'm not sure how much they are...

And the manifold...is the evo 8 16g twin-scroll? if i remember correctly, it doesn't use a TD05 flange, so the manifold would have to be custom made...

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Dec 30, 2011 at 12:35 AM.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 07:04 PM
Evolving Member

Yea, it's the td05hr-16g6-9.8t, and from what I read here they are all twin scroll from 4 - 8. plus mine has the divided opening on the bottom. I'll post a pic later. And since it is twin scroll does that make it easier for the manifold :fingers crossed:

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
As for boost control, your wastegate, or internal waste gate actuator in your case is what controls boost...whatever positive pressure it's rated for is what you'll get from the compressor, boost can be increased, but not decreased, this is purely pneumatic/mechanical, unless you have an electronic boost controller, but i don't know if there is provisions to run one on these cars. you can't find a definitive answer on engine management? I'll tell you now, Hackish has your answer...
so does this mean that I don't need any type of boost control system, like a piggy back? (obviously i'm going to be getting a reflash, going to talk to hackish once I get everything started)

And I just read that the turbo in the VIII was water cooled... I haven't read anything in others' posts about it, but I'm at a loss about this

Last edited by samterry1234; Jan 1, 2012 at 10:09 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 08:11 PM
Evolving Member

Oh and hey, I just found this on ebay, evo 7 front lsd. I saw you're LSD thread and wondered if you knew if this would work with our car. Since so much of the evo stuff is compatible. maybe?

not recommended by AEM, in the UEGO Wideband manual
Do you recommend using the AEM uego? because i have a friend with a prosport evo series wideband new that he didnt use. identical to this one that he's going to sell to me for $100.

Last edited by samterry1234; Jan 1, 2012 at 06:46 PM.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 03:00 AM
Evolved Member

i'm sure that would be fine, if it works, you can monitor AFR, i think if you want to log wideband AFR, there would have to be compatibilty with the software...i would wait on Hackish's software before you shell out $$ on a wideband, if that is how you plan on tuning your car. Or you call ask him.

no, i don't think that LSD will work, if it is exactly as pictured, our differential looks way different, i've posted several pictures of my LSD, and a stock diff, i don't know of any cross-compatible diffs other than the part number on my LSD is for a 3g eclipse, and that appearantly wavetrac's LSD for a 4g eclipse gs, also fits our transmission, so how many companies make an LSD for those, and do 4G94 lancers have a similar diff?

TD05H and TD05HR i'm pretty sure are quite different...you will need a custom manifold for that turbo, or a flange adapter plate, if somone makes those, if anything they would be for the reverse, aftermarket turbos on stock evo manifolds...

Water cooled just means it has coolant flowing through it, you just TEE off a coolant line and run a hose to and from the turbo...you don't have to water cool a turbo, like it needs oil, but if it's oil cooled only, you should have a turbo timer, or after a spirited drive, just idle your car for a minute to let it cool.

you're not controlling boost by tuning...unless you can program an electronic boost controller into the ECU...that's something different, and costs more money, but it's cool...just get an actuator, or external wastegate that is calibrated to the pressure you want, controlling boost is really just increasing RPM of the turbo by tricking the wastegate into opening later, or at a higher output pressure from the compressor...it's something you can do later, when you want to increase boost, but it can be done cheap with a manual controller, but if you buy an adjustable wastegate, you can just increase the operating pressure by adding heavier springs blah blah...

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Jan 2, 2012 at 03:36 AM. Reason: much more info, first post lazy, my bad
Old Jan 2, 2012, 08:11 AM
Evolving Member

i thought the only difference between the h and the hr was that the turbine rotation is reversed.

and from what i can get from all the posts about this turbo is that the internal gate is regulated at 11.5 psi. That's higher than what I'm planning on running (looking to start ~8 for now before i build the engine). Since the turbo is gated higher that means that i should use an external wastegate right?

Haha I feel like i'm interrogating you lol. But thank you so much for all the info. I definitely need as much as I get.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

if it's anything like 1g and 2g talons/eclipses, the stock wastegate actuators were rated for 0.5 BAR, or 7-8psi, and they had a boost solenoid (like electronic boost control) that increased that to 11.5psi...

I don't know if the rotation is reversed, but i know that the turbine inlet flange is very different than TD05H which is rectangular...

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Jan 2, 2012 at 01:42 PM.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 02:09 PM
Evolving Member

here's a pic of mine

plus I saw a post the other day, can't find it now, but it was about a stock manifold from an evo being modified for a 4g69 flange. I can find a bunch of evo mani's on ebay and other sites and it seems like it is cheaper to buy one of those and cut the flange off of my stock one. bing bang boom.

Last edited by samterry1234; Jan 2, 2012 at 02:26 PM.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 04:12 PM
Evolved Member

that flange is way different... there are no 4G69 manifolds i know of that use that flange...that and welding mild steel to cast steel is kind of a pain in the ***, very difficult DIY...it has to be pre-heated and peened every time you run a bead...it would probably be easier to use an aftermarket SS manifold.

or use a 4G63 MIVEC head...then you can use an Evo manifold...how deep you want to go with this? and what's your budget?
Old Jan 2, 2012, 08:05 PM
Evolving Member

I was only hoping to do a basic setup for now, to get a feel for it (i'm learning as i go so...) and then work it into a higher compression later and do the internals and junk then too. budget is somewhere around 1500-2000 for now.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 11:25 PM
Evolved Member

if you're going turbo, you don't want high compression...if anything it would be better to lower compression...
Old Jan 3, 2012, 12:14 AM
Evolving Member

i meant higher boost. :X my bad.

lol i knew what i meant in my head.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by samterry1234
I was only hoping to do a basic setup for now, to get a feel for it (i'm learning as i go so...) and then work it into a higher compression later and do the internals and junk then too. budget is somewhere around 1500-2000 for now.
there are one of 2 turbo builds like that on club4g. ill be following ur setup for when i go to turbo mine. and have you found any other 4g69 manifold besides that cast log style one
Old Jan 7, 2012, 10:49 AM
Evolving Member

the only one's i've found that are sold commercially are from rrm and ... somewhwere else, can't remember where, but they're like $500 at rrm and $700 from the other. I recided to go with a evo 8 manifold and modify it to fit the flange for out head. still deciding whether i want to just cut the one off of my stock one or try to find one, but either way i;m gonn have to weld them together.

Quick Reply: custom turbo project help