Notices
04-06 Ralliart Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech (aftermarket turbo/supercharger related topics)

Custom Turbo setup need opinions

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2016, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Custom Turbo setup need opinions

So last night put together a list of all the a parts necessary to go forced induction. I don't have money for it now as I'm in school but working through the summer I should make a bit more than the total of all these parts meaning in a year or so I could be on boost. My car doesn't have too high of miles at about 83k. So I'm looking for opinions on A. if this setup would be good at 5-7psi to start and build up later as time goes. And B. if the prices are good and other opinions. I know my car has potential, the body is great and the engine is in good condition. Here is the parts I chose:

For a turbo I found one on BuyAutoParts for the Evo IX for $549.81. Can anybody tell me if this would work? If not what would?
For a blowoff valve I figured I could just use the evo 8/9 for around $150.
Manifold I suppose my only options are custom or RRM for me RRM would be $800 so I figure custom would be cheaper.
Intercooler I chose Mishimoto MMINT-UZG Gold Z-Line Intercooler for around $170.
Charge piping I am assuming the evo 8/9 piping would work I found ETS Mitsubishi Evo 8 and Evolution 9 Short Route Complete Piping Kit for $478.
For a downpipe I figure I will just get a custom one made. I figure that will be about $300 maybe? I''ll have to ask around.
Oil lines I found are Vibrant Performance Universal Oil Feed Kits 10276 for $25.
For fuel injectors would some used 450cc eclipse ones be good? I found some on ebay for $100.
For the bar sensor I found: OMNI POWER MAP SENSOR | MULTIPLE MITSUBISHI FITMENTS (MAP-MIT-4BAR) for $96
WALBRO 255LPH HIGH PRESSURE IN TANK FUEL PUMP GSS342 for $80
As for tuning I'm not sure where to go here. Will a local tuner shop be able to tune the ECU or would I need a standalone? Is hackish still selling tunes? Some advice here would be greatly appreciated.
Anyway this is where I'm at I figure it'll be about $4k. Nowhere close to doing anything yet just trying to figure out if this would be something to work towards.
Thanks!!
Old Nov 28, 2016, 07:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
the turbo is a no-go if you are going with the RRM manifold, the RRM and RPW manifolds are flanged for TD05H (DSM/Evo 3). Evo 7,8 and 9 are TD05HR which are twin scroll...you can get adapter plates but fitment may be an issue, it's a gamble. Then you have the issue of blocking off RRM's ugly external wastegate port, as the Evo 9 turbo has an internal gate. I would personally pay the premium of the RPW manifold, or just have one custom made to fit whatever turbo you choose...A T3 flange would actually leave you a lot of options, though most rely on external wastegates. It's up to you, but choose carefully, as this is the heart of your setup.

Blow off valve doesn't really matter...literally ANYTHING will work...

Again, intercooler does not matter at all, although if you are using stock Evo or stock fitting charge pipe, you will need a stock, or stock fitting intercooler...

Downpipe depends on the turbo and manifold you choose, so don't worry about that, though any custom exhaust shop can build anything you need.

again oil lines aren't really an issue...as long as it's rated for engine oil, and the temperature the oil flowing through it will be...I would also advise you to consider a section of solid steel line in and around the turbo...I actually recently did this because I had the gasket blow out and the hot stream of exhaust gas melted the inside of the hose, causing a massive oil leak...keep in mind your EGT on a turbo engine can be in excess of 1000 degrees Fahrenheit.

The injectors you found, I'm assuming they are from a 1g or 2g eclipse, as there's no way a 3rd or 4th gen eclipse has 450cc injectors...anyway those will work, but you have to hack up the injector harness, or get adapters, and you will need resistor pack. Your best option for injectors is the 02-05 Subaru WRX 440cc, or the 08+ WRX which I believe are about 560cc...the JDM STI pink 565cc are hard to find and sell for a premium...All are plug and play with zero modification...I got my 440's for next to nothing, and I paid $100 for my 560's.

The MAP sensor is overkill...4 BAR is like 4 atmospheres, so roughly 45psi on top of sea level atmosphere...3 BAR is more than enough...there's no 2 BAR, but I myself have exceeded 18psi, so 3 BAR is generally more than you need. if you plan on running more than 30psi down the road, which would be silly, you could always upgrade.

Not sure which model pump that is, but I'm using one made for a 2g talon/eclipse, I don't recall the part number...

$4k is quite a bit, if you're resourceful you should be able to do it for significantly less than that. good luck.
The following users liked this post:
06RAJK (Nov 28, 2016)
Old Nov 28, 2016, 06:57 PM

Thank you Cranswick, this was just what I was looking for. On their website RPW says that their manifold works with Garrett GT25 turbos so that may be what I go with. Is space an issue as far as intercooling is concerned? Are there any other parts I would need to run to go forced induction? I know if I increase boost I''l need to do a lot but can 7psi be done with this?
Old Nov 28, 2016, 07:55 PM

Or I may go with the t05 big 16g I found here http://www.3sx.com/store/comersus_vi...dProduct=27218
And have custom manifold made.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 09:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 06RAJK
Thank you Cranswick, this was just what I was looking for. On their website RPW says that their manifold works with Garrett GT25 turbos so that may be what I go with. Is space an issue as far as intercooling is concerned? Are there any other parts I would need to run to go forced induction? I know if I increase boost I''l need to do a lot but can 7psi be done with this?

If manual transmission, you'll need at least a stage 1 clutch, and ARP head studs are recommended...though they aren't really required until you hit around 10psi, depending on the turbo...better safe than sorry though.

There is more than enough room for a variety of intercoolers...routing your charge pipe can be a bit tricky, but there's tons of room. the only problem I ever had was fitting the turbo with the stock cooling fans...

I really liked my big 16g...the 20g is too big for anything under like 18psi, and 18g's are dog****...lol
06RAJK (Nov 30, 2016)
Old Nov 30, 2016, 04:17 PM

Haha good to know. I think I will go with big 16g there are a couple shops in my area I am sure could make a custom manifold. A friend of mine had one in his eclipse and had good things to say.

As far as tuning goes would I have to get a standalone ecu for a local shop to tune it? Or would they be able to with the stock one?
Old Nov 30, 2016, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 06RAJK
Haha good to know. I think I will go with big 16g there are a couple shops in my area I am sure could make a custom manifold. A friend of mine had one in his eclipse and had good things to say.

As far as tuning goes would I have to get a standalone ecu for a local shop to tune it? Or would they be able to with the stock one?
ah, yes. I forgot to mention as far as I know hackish is still supporting our ECU, and selling tunes...if you get Fastworks software and a base tune, any decent tuner will be able to figure it out. Stock ECU is all you need...
06RAJK (Nov 30, 2016)
Old Nov 30, 2016, 11:02 PM

Awesome. Thanks for all the answers I know there isn't a lot of information for our car especially as it is getting older so I really appreciate all the help.